Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a bit like the post on converting a decock model to DAO. I really like the decock only models best, but have ended up with 2 P-Series autos with safeties. The obvious answer is to trade them, but dang it - they shoot so good I hate to do that. Does anyone know if this can be done?
Tom

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
15,988 Posts
rman, The slide is different on the decocker. I suppose if you threw enough money at it, you could modify it to decock only. Maybe you could just trade slides with someone.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've seen repair kits for Ruger semi-autos that include complete slides - I'm guess they are take offs. I've found them for about every thing but a P944. That's what I'm looking for. They usually sell for $65 - 75.

·
Registered
42 Posts
What is with the deal with decocker only pistols? Why doesn't anyone want the safety version? In ruger the manual safety will decock the gun and give you a safety feature too.

·
Registered
334 Posts
quote:Originally posted by ghostrider_23

What is with the deal with decocker only pistols? Why doesn't anyone want the safety version? In ruger the manual safety will decock the gun and give you a safety feature too.
I greatly prefer a 'decocker only' to a safety / decocker version. Ease of use in a tense / stressful situation is a primary reason to me. One control to deal with, the trigger. The real 'safety' is the person holding the weapon, not the way the lever operates.

I will only own decocker versions of the P series (I have 4 of them).

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quote:Originally posted by cavediver

I greatly prefer a 'decocker only' to a safety / decocker version. Ease of use in a tense / stressful situation is a primary reason to me. One control to deal with, the trigger. The real 'safety' is the person holding the weapon, not the way the lever operates.

I will only own decocker versions of the P series (I have 4 of them).
+1 When the last 2 get to my FFL, I will have 6. The only safety model I have left is the KP345. I'd probably swap it too, but it shoots too good. Afraid I might get one of the bad ones!
Tom

·
Registered
25 Posts
"I've seen repair kits for Ruger semi-autos that include complete slides - I'm guess they are take offs. I've found them for about every thing but a P944. That's what I'm looking for. They usually sell for $65 - 75."

rman, where have you seen these? And what is the kit composed of? Can you provide a link? Also, what exactly do you mean by "take off"?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
quote:Originally posted by CantLeaveWellEnuffAlone

"I've seen repair kits for Ruger semi-autos that include complete slides - I'm guess they are take offs. I've found them for about every thing but a P944. That's what I'm looking for. They usually sell for $65 - 75."

rman, where have you seen these? And what is the kit composed of? Can you provide a link? Also, what exactly do you mean by "take off"?
I found them on Gun Broker a while back. They were complete slide assemblies. At the time there were kits for P90's, P93's and P89's. There were 2 different sellers that offered them. I can't remember who they were. I emailed one of them, and he advised me that he was an armorer for a medium sized police department in California. He didn't really say, but I'm assuming they were taken off guns that were going to be destroyed. I'm at work and Gun Broker is blocked here, so I can't look right now. I found them by just doing a search for Ruger P944. They were listed along with the guns, mazazines and owners manuals. This was at the time I originally posted - 8/31. I haven't noticed any lately, but the guy I mentioned above said he gets them from time to time. I wish I could remember his name. I'd like to have one for my KP345 to change it from safety to decocker. The P944 I was worried about I traded for a KP94D. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Tom

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
quote:Originally posted by CantLeaveWellEnuffAlone

I'm at home now so I can get to Gun Broker. This is one for a P94
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=57026351
(I believe this is the one that told me he was an armorer for a P.D.)
Tom

·
jlweems
278 Posts

I carry the S&W 4006 on duty that has a safety similar to the Rugers. Early in my career during a stress course I put it back in my holster with the safety lever down only to not be able to shoot the next time a drew the weapon. I took special care to never let this happen again, but this week at a class I either holstered the weapon on safe or somehow pushed the lever down when snapping in (think it was the latter). When I drew my weapon I couldn't fire.

On the course I only lost two shots. On the streets I would have lost much more.

The S&W TSW series can be converted to decock only by adding a spring. The slide is already machined to accept it. We are probably switching to Glock; so, I'll retire the 4006s and probably convert my personal 5906TSW to decock only.

·
Registered
38 Posts
There are "Decocker" slides out there. I found a Stainless KP95D slide on one of the Auction sites for $50. It came as a complete slide, barrel, trigger, trigger bar,misc small parts, etc. I changed the Slide and the Trigger bar,east swap and it works great.

·
Registered
842 Posts

I've got to agree with ghostrider. My main carried gun is a P97DC but I still carry my old P85 with safety at times. Just pust the lever back up after decocking. One feature I definitely like about the safety model is you can chamber the first rd with the safety already on and then push it up. I've never had a problem switching back and forth with the two. Actually as much as I've shot both I don't have any problem going from auto to revolver and back with no hesitations either.
Baker

·
Registered
59 Posts
I could live with the safety/decock, but why bother - the straight decock-only is available. If I had a safety model, I would trade it for the decock only. It might be the smartest thing you ever did if you get into a really high stress situation.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I picked up a KP89 safety only to replace Colt DAO. With the DAO I could hit the barn but not the barn door, just did not like the long trigger pull. I carry the KP89 locked 'n loaded, ofcourse w/ safety on, upon presentation it is easy to flip the safety off while I bring the offhand up. At this point I have 1 DA pull w/ SA pulls for the rest of the mag(s). FWIW

1 - 17 of 17 Posts