Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my CCW permit for almost 10 mths and I do not carry with one in the chamber, but more and more crimes are occurring around me and I feel I need to start carrying with one in chamber. I have gone to range many times practicing trying to get comfortable with my LC9.

My question I have practiced lot drawing and flicking the safety off as I aim. I worry is it likely the safety can get stripped out to point where it won't hold in place ? I know this is probably a stupid question, but I had no exp with gun until my ccw class which was not much in way of instruction. I plan to take an adv carry for self def class I just became aware of.

I am to point I feel comfortable to carry with one in chamber but wonder if anyone has every had safety "strip out" ? thanks for the feedback this is a great forum esp for idiots like me... :)

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,541 Posts
All parts can fail. The chances of the safety wearing out mechanically are slim. I have a Colt 1911 that is approaching a hundred years old that hasn’t worn out from use.

The more likely scenario is the holster wipes off the safety from your movement. Holsters with thumb snaps are notorious for the issue. When I get a new gun and/or a new holster, I wear them around the house unloaded but cocked and locked for a while. I then load it without one in the chamber and carry it in public cocked and locked for a while. Once I am comfortable, I carry it cocked and locked with one in the chamber also known as condition one carry.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I would continue to practice sweeping the safety. It will be OK, and if it does wear out (becomes too easy to engage or dis-engage) it is cheap to replace.

It is far far better to get in the habit of sweeping it till it becomes muscle memory and you do it without thought.

I have been a 1911 shooter from the beginning, and using the safety is in my DNA. The safety on the LC9 being in the same position and action as a 1911 was one of the big selling points for me.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Personally, I don't feel the need for using the safety on the LC9 due to the long DA only trigger pull. I carry mine with one in the chamber on fire. Really it's the same as carrying a revolver. Now with my SR9c it's another story. I carry with the safety on with one in the chamber. It's really what you feel comfortable with. Enjoy your LC9. It's a great carry gun.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I carry mine with one in the chamber, and have removed the safety lever completely from my LC9. There are many small carry guns that have no safety, I dont want the slim chance that the safety might be on. I dont need a lecture on how this will eventually cause me to end up in jail, or some other nonsense. The LC9 is just as safe as any Double Action revolver, or any of the other carry options that have no safety.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I have had my CCW permit for almost 10 mths and I do not carry with one in the chamber, but more and more crimes are occurring around me and I feel I need to start carrying with one in chamber. I have gone to range many times practicing trying to get comfortable with my LC9.

My question I have practiced lot drawing and flicking the safety off as I aim. I worry is it likely the safety can get stripped out to point where it won't hold in place ? I know this is probably a stupid question, but I had no exp with gun until my ccw class which was not much in way of instruction. I plan to take an adv carry for self def class I just became aware of.

I am to point I feel comfortable to carry with one in chamber but wonder if anyone has every had safety "strip out" ? thanks for the feedback this is a great forum esp for idiots like me... :)
I think it would take A LOT of use to strip out the safety on a LC9.
Practicing your draw while switching the safety off is a good idea.
Advanced carry classes are another good idea.

As others have stated, the looong trigger pull of the LC9 makes it quite safe to carry and draw with one in the chamber. It's also much faster to flick a safety than to rack a slide if need dictates.

I personally carry chambered w/safety on IWB at the 6 o'clock position.
My holster is strapless and as I draw my thumb is right there at the safety lever.

Keep practicing with your LC9, take some more classes, and most importantly carry in the way that makes YOU feel most comfortable.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have an LC9 and always CCW with one in the chamber.
I have several guns over fifty years old and a couple over seventy none have had a safety wear out.
Looks like I'll wear out before they do.

·
Banned
402 Posts
I would work on my confidence in what I carry, and how I carry.
It takes time for a new pistol person to overcome many things.
Filling out some paper work and getting the CCW along with attending a short class is just the beginning. Sorry but to carry a pistol with an empty chamber is asking for trouble, And a way of saying I don't feel confident.
A life threatening situation can and often does happen in the blink of an eye.
With inexperience comes hesitation, hesitation means you get shot and the BG goes home.
Your pistol can be, and, is carried with the safety off by many, think off it as a revolver.
There's no way it's going to go off unless YOU pull the trigger.
I also carry my 1911 condition one, and wouldn't think off having an empty chamber.
Think about what bothers you and overcome it, and you will never carry an empty pistol again, especially after you have said the crime is on an upswing. I don't think your pistol has a ambi safety ? if you ever have to use your week hand it could be quite a challenge.

·
Registered
289 Posts
My carry is an LCR, but I have shot my son's LC9. I am completely comfortable carrying my revolver because the long trigger pull requires such a deliberate act. The same, in my view, is true for the LC9. Therefore, my AD concern does not involve drawing the gun but rather, re-holstering it. I have a deliberate practice when re-holstering that works for me, although I have never heard anyone else mention it, so it may not be suitable for everyone. Due to the long trigger pull, I put my finger in the trigger guard, BEHIND THE TRIGGER, when re-holstering. I will not be a victim of a wad of shirttail, or whatever interfering with the safety of the re-holster. I have to stress, I do this in a very focused way each time, so there is no way that I would have my finger in the wrong place. If I had an LC9 I would use the same practice. You do what you are comfortable with regarding your carry practice concerning the use of the safety or not, etc. By the way, I shoot my LCR well, but the last time I shot my son's LC9 even better.
(all 7 shots in a 4" circle @ 10 yds, but 4 of those 7 inside the 2" bullseye- shooting less than 1 sec. between shots)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I carry mine with one in the chamber and safety off. In split second timing, that safety could mean life or death. I'm going to try removing the safety lever like Weblance suggested in his post. I never thought of that. I often wonder why gun makers put safeties on DAO guns. I have a KelTec P3AT - .380 that I've carried for years and it doesn't have a safety on it.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
I vote for one in the chamber, safety on. Practice, practice, practice flipping the safety switch down as you come to the firing position. The very long trigger pull is your second safety.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had been taught, and practice, one in the chamber, safety on. (My current CCW is a SR9C). Safety's can get bumped on, flipped on with a sloppy grab, etc. If you practice flipping it off each and every time.. you'll forever fire that weapon. If you choose to just not use the safety,and for some reason it gets flipped on and you're not used to using the weapon that way....click. Not me, as I unholster my SR9c my thumb easily flips off the safety and I'm good to go. I don't even think about it any more.

·
Registered
853 Posts
My carry is an LCR, but I have shot my son's LC9. I am completely comfortable carrying my revolver because the long trigger pull requires such a deliberate act. The same, in my view, is true for the LC9. Therefore, my AD concern does not involve drawing the gun but rather, re-holstering it. I have a deliberate practice when re-holstering that works for me, although I have never heard anyone else mention it, so it may not be suitable for everyone. Due to the long trigger pull, I put my finger in the trigger guard, BEHIND THE TRIGGER, when re-holstering. I will not be a victim of a wad of shirttail, or whatever interfering with the safety of the re-holster. I have to stress, I do this in a very focused way each time, so there is no way that I would have my finger in the wrong place. If I had an LC9 I would use the same practice. You do what you are comfortable with regarding your carry practice concerning the use of the safety or not, etc. By the way, I shoot my LCR well, but the last time I shot my son's LC9 even better.
(all 7 shots in a 4" circle @ 10 yds, but 4 of those 7 inside the 2" bullseye- shooting less than 1 sec. between shots)
Toolman,
I have some reservations about your re-holstering procedure. Sticking your finger in the trigger guard, even in a deliberate and focused way, behind the trigger seems dangerous (IMHO). I understand why you are doing that, but my concern is in regards to a "Muscle Memory" scenario and possible confusion during a high stress situation. Sure, at the range it may be practiced slowly and deliberately but what about a situation that is not practiced? Namely, in the event (God forbid) you had to draw your weapon in a life and death situation where you just shot/shot at some bad guy. Your adreneline is pumping, you're focused on the threat/body in front of you and your mind is racing. You go to re-holster the weapon, that you just fired (pulled the trigger/last muscle memory action) and you want to stick your finger in the trigger guard? I can't say for sure how that would all play out, but in all my training, one's finger does not ever go into that area unless one is firing the weapon. I may be too analytical over this, but it just worries me.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Greg

I have an LC9 and as long as you carry the gun in a good holster that protects the trigger, and follow the 4 rules of carrying a gun you will have NO problems whatsoever. That trigger pull is very long, you'd have to do a LOT to cause an accidental discharge. Remember guns do not "go off" they fire because someone pulled the trigger back far enough to set off the mechanical sequence of events that caused the firing pin/striker/whatever to hit the primer of the bullet. By the way, the 4 rules are:

1. assume all guns are loaded
2. don't put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to pull it
3. don't point the gun at anything you aren't willing to destroy/kill
4. know what is down range of what you are shooting at

Best of luck, and I suggest you sign up for a good handgun course in your area, there is much to learn. In the meantime, there are tons of videos on YouTube (some are better than others).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.