Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a SR9 that I can,t disengage the safety. It has one in the chamber that I can,t empty. I am a novice and could use some advice.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Odd problem. I haven’t been able to replicate that failure, but I might have a slightly different model.

Although it shouldn’t make a difference, have you tried it with the magazine in place?

I suspect that something has broken internally (or a piece of foreign matter has gotten into the works). Since you can’t send it back to Ruger with a live round in the chamber, you’ll probably need to find a local gunsmith.

Jim

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
How did this happen? Just make sure the pistol is pointed in a safe direction, insert unloaded mag, & try to work the slide while trying to disengage the safety. Keep finger OFF the trigger while doing this! It may not be all the way into battery, if trying to work the slide (pulling back) doesn’t work, again finger off the trigger/pistol pointed in a safe direction; try hitting the back of the slide with the palm of your hand while trying to engage the safety lever. Hopefully you’ll at least be able to engage the safety lever so you can pull your slide back to clear the round in the chamber. I was shooting Winchester white box ammo one time when a round wouldn’t let the slide go all the way into battery. The bullet looked like it was seated properly but I guess the case must’ve been bulged out. Needless to say it didn’t get shot. If your able to clear that round, inspect it against another but don’t try to load it again. Of course try the rest of the batch if you can. If this doesn’t work I’d do like the previous poster suggested & seek a qualified gunsmith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts