Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a brand new AK-47. I've shot 60 rounds thru it so far without a hitch. The shop owner threw in an additional magazine, and 3 boxes of 7.62X39 ammo with it. The rifle is not the prettiest firearm I own but it is functional. Below are a couple of photos.

DSCN1423.JPG

DSCN1424.JPG

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Awesome!

I have furthered the conversion and plan to replace the gas block and the sight post. Soon.

I put a handguard retainer on mine. Added a handguard and an Ultimak gas tube.

Here's mine so far:

·
Registered
746 Posts
When the shtf, my saiga/arsenal sgl-21 will be the first firearm I grab to arm myself.
It ain't pretty, but it'll run all day every day!

Congrats on your AK!

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Neon Horse, where did you get the Weaver Rail for your AK?
I bought it used (like new) from a local.

It's an Ultimak gas tube. It replaces your current tube. It's nice and solid and fairly easy to install (it clamps into the barrel).

I plan to put a small optic on it.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'm gonna have to get one of those for mine, thanks. I did put an inexpensive sling on it, but it works, also put another 160 rounds thru it again without a hitch, it does like that cheap ammo, so it seems.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
It better like cheapo ammo! ;) :)

Also, if you want to use a standard AKm handguard, you can buy a bolt on retainer. Normally, the retainer is slid onto the barrel before the gas block and sight are pinned. I wanted the traditional look, so I bought a retainer that uses bolts and some loctite.

I need a sling for mine. I may put a surplus sling on mine.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found that rail on sale for $98.00, I do have a question, though I was told that the Saiga AK does not take the regular AK magazines, what gives here. It is supposed to be Russian made? The after market mags 30 round go $39.95.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Uncoverted Saigas take specific mags (those sporterized rifles straight from Russia). Your rifle has a "back end" conversion meaning the fire control group was moved forward, stock swapped, pistol grip added, and most importantly, a bullet guide was added and the mag catch trimmed. This process allows you to use conventional AK mags.

So, your partially converted Saiga runs like any AK should.

I generally use combloc mags from Romania or similar. Magpul makes a good mag as well.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Once again I thank ya Neon Horse, I found some PMags for AK47 for $14.95 at a local gun shop. Someone had told me that the Saiga took a special magazine, and the place I bought the carbine from didn't know for sure but he threw in an additional magazine, and 3-20 round boxes of ammo.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice paint job there Cisco, however I'd of preferred a camo job myself, definitely makes it look less intimidating though. BTW there Neon, I bought a couple of 30 round P-Mags as that was all they had left at $14.95.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Nice! Their new gen 3 mags seem to be even better with metal reinforcement. I always like Magpul.

I did have one new mag that wouldn't fit any mag well. They promptly sent a replacement gen 2 and also sent a gen 3. I was blown away by their customer service!

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
...and since I typed the post above, I decided to spend some time making that out-of-spec mag work. I grabbed a rifle and headed to the drum sander. Spent a few minutes recontouring the body... And now it works! Another win. If that didn't work, is as gonna gut the mag and use the spring in another mag. Looks like it'll be a shooter. :cool:

·
Registered
673 Posts
Recently purchased a brand new AK-47. I've shot 60 rounds thru it so far without a hitch. The shop owner threw in an additional magazine, and 3 boxes of 7.62X39 ammo with it. The rifle is not the prettiest firearm I own but it is functional. Below are a couple of photos.

View attachment 21704

View attachment 21705
Congrats! IMO, you bought the right trim level. Fixed stock, decent grip, and the long handguard.

I got the tacti-cooled from the factory model, and the furniture absolutely sucked. Quad rail handguards were chintzy and uncomfortable. The M4 stock adapter and CAI stock just didn't shoulder right. I wasn't compatible with the finger grooves in the stock. I spent more $$$ for the tacti-cooled farkled model. I then spent more money on Magpul furniture to get it to fit me better.

Before:

After:

If I had to do it over again, I would have bought the same one you did. I would have saved a bunch of money.

My only issue is that the barrel isn't threaded for a muzzle device. I put up with it because I wanted a Russian manufacture AK and the barrel isn't threaded most likely to 922r compliance.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank ya kindly japes, I am going to get that weaver mount on mine for a scope of some sort, probably just red dot. I did like the simplicity of the rifle though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts