Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a thought that I'll toss out to see if anyone is interested. You may have read the thread I started a few days ago concerning a coworker who gave me a bunch of .38, .357, and .45 reloads. (And of the dismal results I obtained in my P345, only firing a handful of them before giving up in disgust.)

I'm definitely interested in getting into reloading. But before I plunk down the cash for the equipment, I wish there were some way that I could meet a helpful reloader here in the San Antonio area, with me bringing some of my spent brass to the session, and loading up 50, or perhaps 100 rounds. If those worked well in my gun, then I would definitely be inclined to purchase some equipment and get started with the fun of reloading. Are there any takers out there? I'll happily treat you to lunch, and of course reimburse you for the supplies that you'd use...

If interested, drop me a PM or an e-mail and we'll go from there. Thanks!

Amistad
'seeking to shoot more for less'

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I don't live in your area, but trust me Armistad - there is no problem finding loads that will work well in your gun. The biggest problem is finding which one you like the best. There are a ton of options when it comes to reloads:

1. Brand of brass
2. Brand of primers
3. Many different kinds of powder. (Fortunately, only a handful of these are best suited to the .45)
4. Big choice in bullets also. Cast lead, swaged lead, copper plated, jacketed in many different types, just to name a few. And of course there are numerous bullet weights to choose from.

Get as many reloading manuals as you can afford. Visit with people you trust and find out what they are using for their loads. BUT DON'T FORGET TO CHECK THESE AGAINST THE MANUALS! There is a wealth of info available on the internet....some is good and some is not. Always check the manuals and never start with maximum loads. If need be, PM me with your address and I'll copy the .45 ACP pages from some of my manuals and send them to you.

Reloading is almost as much fun as shooting. Iowegan nailed it in another post though. It won't save you money cause you are going to shoot a lot more! Be safe...Tom

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Like rman said Amistad. If you need any help with reloading, feel free to ask here or PM somebody. That's one of the things that makes this forum stand out above the rest. We are one big happy family.
Heck, we even have our own dog! :D

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Amistad, I don't have a .38 or .357, but I reload .45's. I use whatever brass I have collected and have figured out that my guns like 6 Gr. of Unique behind the 230 Gr. Bullets. I reload all mine the same and shoot them in 2 KP97's, a KP90, and a KP345. I have never had one to jam or fail to fire. I have been reloading since 1960 and recently shot some 30-06's that was loaded in 1960 and they shot fine. I have never had a fail to fire. I know a primer could be bad, but I've never got one. The only problem I've ever had with reloads, and it was my fault, was with overloading high pressure cartridges and causing them to expand and stick in the chamber. That was with .44 Mag. and 30-06. I personally think reloads shoot better than Factory ammo if loaded right. Sounds like you got some that wasn't loaded right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.