Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get into SASS and thought this might be a good deal, but the price of the revolvers seems like it might be a bit high.
Thanks all

For Sale:

Double Barrel 12ga. UgarteChea Model 221. Made in Spain 2 ¾ 1691xx Imported by Exel Arms of America in Gardner MA. Beautiful Wood, straight stock, Case Color Receiver. Chambers polished. Decelerator Pad installed for the wife. No longer have the wife, don’t want her shotgun either. Asking 450.00

Hawes Western Marshal: 357 mag. 5 ¾ barrel length. Rosewood grips, brass backstrap and trigger guard. Bluing on ejection rod housing is gone. Holster wear on high parts. 0054/X Asking $350

Hawes Western Marshal: 357mag. 5 ¾ inch barrel. Rosewood grips. Some (very little) bluing missing on high spots. Small knick on back left side of top strap and hammer. 3/223xx Asking $350

Would prefer to sell as a set.

Buy all for $1000 and I take care of shipping.

http://www.hogheadthreads.com/Guns1.html

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hipchip,
If you get around Turlock,go to 120 S.Center.
Alquist Arms is about 1/2 way,on the right.
Richard has some very good prices for single actions.
He's likeable and fair.
He might have western gunbelts by now.Or can order them for you.
Next best for gunbelts,is Wild Bill's in Elk Grove,just off Grantline Road, and Hwy 99.
At Wild Bill's,he does have a good selection,that won't break the bank.
Would consider this,over Tandy Leather in Sacramento.
Between these two,I'll go to Wild Bill's anytime.
As,the cost difference is around $20.00-30.00 (ready made vs.kit {Tandy Leather})
So, your looking around $120 to about $160.00 tops,for ready made.Kits are about $100-$120.00.
Hope this helps.
You have a good weekend.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Looking to get into SASS and thought this might be a good deal, but the price of the revolvers seems like it might be a bit high.
Thanks all

For Sale:

Double Barrel 12ga. UgarteChea Model 221. Made in Spain 2 ¾ 1691xx Imported by Exel Arms of America in Gardner MA. Beautiful Wood, straight stock, Case Color Receiver. Chambers polished. Decelerator Pad installed for the wife. No longer have the wife, don’t want her shotgun either. Asking 450.00

Hawes Western Marshal: 357 mag. 5 ¾ barrel length. Rosewood grips, brass backstrap and trigger guard. Bluing on ejection rod housing is gone. Holster wear on high parts. 0054/X Asking $350

Hawes Western Marshal: 357mag. 5 ¾ inch barrel. Rosewood grips. Some (very little) bluing missing on high spots. Small knick on back left side of top strap and hammer. 3/223xx Asking $350

Would prefer to sell as a set.

Buy all for $1000 and I take care of shipping.

http://www.hogheadthreads.com/Guns1.html
Looks like this seller has come down a tad.$950.00.
Couldn't tell you anything about the Hawes.How they shoot ?Good question.
But, looks like they were nicely kept clean.
For me,I'll stick with Rugers,and throw in an Italian import,Uberti.
Freedom Arms are top quality.With a top price.

·
Banned
723 Posts
You'd be doing "OK" if you got the set for $700. Not great, but "OK".

That's my humble opinion. If you are looking to get started in SASS I'd go with Ruger New Vaqueros and spend the money for a Lever Action 12 Guage, or a Chinese 1897 Pump Gun if it were me. As far as a Rifle, I'd go with a Uberti Yellowboy 1866.

It will be a little costlier, but good gear is worth it's weight in gold, IMHO. Nothing is more aggravating than gear that doesn't work "on the big day". :( I've BTDT, so I'm willing to pay more up front for good gear as I've found it cheaper in the long run.

Don't be afraid to buy used, but just know what you're looking for and potential "problems" that certain firearms may have. SASS is the most fun I can legally have with my clothes on, so I put some money towards good gear.

Biker

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Never owned a Hawes........checked the blue book and a generic value listed for the centerfire single actions listed at $175 to $275---------in the condition you described i'd tend to believe the lower figure.

Don't know a thing about the spanish double----hear that some are very good quality and some are just so-so in quality.

spare parts/support for either could be a problem.........

i'd do a bunch of research on a cowboy forums and do generic searches for hawes and the shotgun and see what experiences others have had in cowboy action shootin' where the guns are heavily used----light usage in the huntin' fields won't really tell you much.......................

I also would favor ruger...........
And from what i've read, the stoeger, remington spartan/baikil, hold the lion's share for sxs usage...........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts