Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday I had the honor to sit with a Korean War Vet and listen to him talk about the war for over five hours.He fought in the battle of the Chosin Resavor.He showed me some of his medals Purple Heart & Silver Star were just two of them.He showed me a Chinese bugle, silk battle flag & a few other things he brought back.I watched him cry when telling some of the stories.He talked about his buddies & about when he was shot twice.it was so cold the blood froze before it would clot.I could never pen it all here & wouldn't if I could.A few of the stories he told me was the first time he spoke of them.I felt so Honored and yet felt guilty for not know much about the Korean War.
If you don't know much about the Korean War I ask you to please take a moment and look up the battle of the Chosin Resavor.

I only have one regret in life and that is I am the only male in my family to not serve.My oldest son serves today the younger two are to young.

THIS WEEK IS YOUR WEEK VETS I WOULD LIKE ALL YOU VETS KNOW MY FAMILY AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE.

Reactions: cptpoly

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Wow. What a privilege to sit and learn some real hero history. Well Done!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
True American heroes....it's sad that pretty soon none of them will be around anymore to share their stories. Bless all of them & thank you.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
You have experienced something I would have loved to have been there!!! My Dad served in WWII in the Pacific he was on Leyte on MacArther's coming back to the Philippines then later served and was wounded on Okinawa my Dad was and still is my hero he served as a forward artillery observer to direct fire from allied cannon's to knock out the Japanese emplacements. On Okinawa the Japanese cannons were hid up in tunnels they would then open up a cave opening and open fire thats when my dad got wounded the Japanese saw him first! His lieutenant that was with him was killed my dad was transported to a Hospital ship. He never really talked too much about the action that he was in because it was pretty brutal. Given this he held it in most of his life. I heard a few bits and pieces now and then but not the really bloody stuff other then the Japs in some instances using wooden bullets and then their charges when advancing could get pretty bad. There is one story I would love to share but kinda funny and also kinda gross that I do not want to offend anyone here. But I feel very much in my heart that our Veterans are not getting the respect that they deserve!!!

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,551 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

·
Life is good
4,866 Posts
I've talked with a Korean War veteran at a local range. He fought in the Battle of Chosin Reservoir too. He told me a "haunting" story of the Battle. He was wounded and received the MOH for his actions.

Fortunately for me, I served in South Korea 40 years later.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gqucool

My grandfather fought in WWII with the 1stMarine Div.
He fought in the battle with Mitchell Paige when he earned his MOH.
33 Marines held off 2600 Japanese 4 made it.My grandfather was one of them.He was shot and had a bayonet through his right shoulder.He also had malaria thee times while he was over in the Islands.
When I was a child Mitchell Paige was at my grandparents home.I told him was my hero.
He patted me on the head and told me that if it wasn't for my grandfather saving his hide just days earlier he would have never been around to earn the MOH.I looked at my grandfather different from that day.He is truly my hero.No one else has ever come close.
My grandfathers brother lost his arm in the battle of Bulge.He died in his early fifties because of all the metal in his body.
I have had the privlage in life to know greatness.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
When my Uncle came back from Korea, Mom said Pap would sit at night with his pocket knife and dig shrapnel out of Uncle Howards back. He was so peppered with fine specs of metal, he was still digging it out in the mid 1970's when he died.
I remember my older brother ask Uncle Howard one time what he did when he got shot at? Uncle Howard kinda looked over quick, and realized he was talking to a curious child that didn't know any better, just smiled and said,
"We ran for cover and hoped for the best.".

That's the only comment about the war he ever made in front of the family.
According to a cousin who was with him in the same unit, what they seen and experienced wasn't fit to tell people. He never spoke of it either. NUFF SAID.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
gqucool

My grandfather fought in WWII with the 1stMarine Div.
He fought in the battle with Mitchell Paige when he earned his MOH.
33 Marines held off 2600 Japanese 4 made it.My grandfather was one of them.He was shot and had a bayonet through his right shoulder.He also had malaria thee times while he was over in the Islands.
When I was a child Mitchell Paige was at my grandparents home.I told him was my hero.
He patted me on the head and told me that if it wasn't for my grandfather saving his hide just days earlier he would have never been around to earn the MOH.I looked at my grandfather different from that day.He is truly my hero.No one else has ever come close.
My grandfathers brother lost his arm in the battle of Bulge.He died in his early fifties because of all the metal in his body.
I have had the privlage in life to know greatness.
Your family's service to this country is a inspiration to all.
You truly have known greatness.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Chosin - not pretty -

I have been able to talk to 3-4 Korean War vets who were part of Chosin. That motivated me to read about it. Knowing this, looking at the geography gives me nightmares - they tried as best they could to retreat out a narrow valley with the enemy above. True heroes in a very bad set-up.

The vets I talked to made a big point about the cold. At least they could use the snow to cool the Howitzer barrel, and let those shells fly more frequently. But for at least one guy, very cold weather brings on the PTSD.

Sadly, as terrible as some of these Korean War stories are, especially Chosin, I believe that the Chinese simply threw their fighters into these situations with much less support, and so those humans had it a bit worse - I believe China simply threw human numbers at our guys - you can disagree about how much NK forces were Chinese, and how humane China may have been, but that is my opinion for now until I read enough to convince me otherwise - and their side is not so well documented to counter these views.

There are many stories of our traumatized vets not wanting to talk about "the war" (including Vietnam) for decades - then beginning to talk about it in their later years. An uncle that I got to have more contact with in my 30s started telling me a lot about WWII, and everybody was like "why is he telling all of this to row111? He never talks about the war." --It was just his time to begin, and I was trying to be a good listener. Tank stuff, and Battle of the Bulge - good stuff.

Long ago, I worked in a geriatric hospital focusing on the very old, and was able to hear about WWI from some WWI vets. I consider myself fortunate to have been able to listen to these guys. Some had dementia, and could not recognize family members, but they could recall some war stuff.

I myself have never served, but I really appreciate the sacrifice of our veterans living or dead for the peaceful, blessed life the rest of us get to live.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts