Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a bit of a Bear encounter on Saturday afternoon, probably should have killed it, I had a tag for it, but I was too lazy, I was Elk hunting, so I just shot one across his bow to scare him off because he was just a bit to curious. I had walked west through about 1/2 mile of muskeg to a pipeline, glanced back the way I had come only to see this large black bear following my footprints. After I shot in front of him, he veered south into the tamerack trees & out of sight only to reappear about 45 minutes later, about 75 yards west of me, standing up on his hind legs, giving me a hard look. Considering his lack of fear towards me & his curiosity I probably should of harvested him for general safety sake, because the next human he encounters might be unarmed and/or inattentive to bear sign. Too bad my camera was in my Jeep 1/2 a mile away to the east.
--Ken

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Sounds like the bear was doin' some huntin' of his own there. That sure does put a different perspective on things. Are you (on the legal side of game laws) allowed to wear a handgun while bow huntin'?

A handgun might give me a bit of comfort in a similar situtation.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, handguns are not allowed for hunting in Canada. My rifles pack a way more punch than any handgun does anyway, handguns might help with morale or an ego boost, but when compared to the power of my Marlin .444 or my .260 caliber M77MKII they are pretty useless. I gave up bow hunting in '97 after an injury to my left arm left me with nerve damage that caused my left arm to shake when it was under the pressuer of my bow at full draw. If I run into that bear again I will shoot it next time.
--Ken

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
As you are in bear country, How do you think a 12 ga slug would fair as a bear stopper?
I

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
In Michigans U.P. a lot of hunters use the 12 gauge for black bears. It's heavy knock down load. You just aren't gonna take it out 200+ yards.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Never been bear huntin' though know some folks do make it to new mexico. My camp gun when i go fishing/hunting is a 12 ga riot. More for just in case of two-legged critters but if i was in bear country thinking slugs would work there.

Verysavage---forgot you was in Canada and i know they(govt) are not too friendly towards handguns up yonder. Handguns are a way of life for me as i have worn one constantly for the past 22 years. Sure thought a 44 mag might work on a black bear though--not as a primay but as a last ditch. Then again--never hunted one so ...............

Anyone got a good bear huntin' story?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
quote:Originally posted by VerySavage

only to reappear about 45 minutes later, about 75 yards west of me, standing up on his hind legs, giving me a hard look.
--Ken
Ken, at 75 yards and standing, he/she was only trying to see. Bears do that when wanting to look at something, it does not mean however that they will attack or encounter what they are looking at. I had one stand up just 20 yards from me while bowhunting and he/she never charged when it dropped down to all 4's, but instead ran the other way. Bouncing a shot in the ground in front of your bear, only can serve to cause a wound should that bullet bounce into the bear. Then you can create another bunch of problems for either yourself or others that may encounter a wounded bear.

Do as you wish, but even while elk hunting having a black bear tag, I would have harvested the bear :D

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I can't believe that a .44 mag wouldn't easily take a black bear...though I don't have one and don't hunt black bear-some research is in order, here, now where did I put my specs?......

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Well, that didn't take long...and I din't have long enough to read 'em all...but it's established fact that many a widder black bear lost her dear hubby to a .44 Magnum handgun....poor for their morale and I'll bet that slug didn't boost their ego either...different strokes for different folks...the spice of life....

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I've heard that black bears attack humans more often than brown bears----don't know if they are more agressive or just a numbers game of chance encounters as the blacks are more spread out and near population areas.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
In Pa. when I was a kid-they'd tear into our screen porch and go through our garbage...they say that they're dangerous when they lose their fear of humans and know we'll feed 'em...then they hang around closer and, yes, more encounters when they lose their natural fear...I'd carry a locket with Rosie's pic in it if I lived near the woods...that'd repel dinosaurs, let alone bears....one peek and they'd relocate....

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
My opinion, the most probable realistic dangerous encounter i would run into out in the boonies in my area would be a bad guy, followed by something rabid such as a coyote, bobcat, or fox, and finally a pack of wild dogs.
Do want to one of these days get over to New Mexico and get on one of those Indian reservations and try bear huntin'. From what i've been told it is about the cheapest hunt a feller could do as the elk and deer huntin out of state there is sky high for someone like me.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Your bear hunting plans reminded me of a Gary Larson "Far Side" cartoon that is my favorite of all the animal's point of view cartoons...a bear, centered in the crosshairs of a mighty hunter's scope, with all his savage bravery and brawn, is pointing to his buddy bear, standing beside him, with a timid, pleading smile and hopeful eyebrows raised....

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I sure do miss Gary Larson.

Interesting topic, I don't think I've ever ventured into the hunting forum here. I'm gearing up for a fishing trip to Maine next week, there will be a couple days when I'm fishing by myself. I want to see a moose, but that could be a scary encounter if it's too close!! I'm bringing my GP100 because there's a place right at our cabin to plink around, I'd carry that GP with me while fishing just to make some noise if need be, but Maine doesn't recognize Virginia's permit. Should I just bring another, slower, friend??

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Welcome to the huntin' forum eddie! we're just a bunch of good ole boys!:)[:eek:)]

Makes one wonder about such a thing. If i could not carry a handgun while in the sticks, i'd at least check into a PG shotgun or perhaps a Black powder revolver if allowed.

Just another twists on laws and the stupidity---a feller can mail order a walker colt reproduction that has more power/energy than a 38/9mm "regular" handgun. course if you are fishin you got to keep your powder dry!

I hear Maine has plenty of bears as well but still probably more concerned about the two legged critters.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Maybe the 'Judge' would be a good choice there. Regardless, maybe if a bear is approaching and angry, I can real quick catch a salmon, land him and toss him to the bear as a peace offering. Now THAT is some pressure fishing!!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
the rabbit ranger would probably give you a ticket for feeding the bears![:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts