Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got one of each, the 1899 is in 30 Savage and a realy sweet shooter too, ellectant white tail deer rifle. Iron sights no scope was made in 1911 just can't bare to have her drilled. The 99 had a scope on it didn't care for it had to streach your neck half way down the barrel to get the eye relief right. So took it off and put a full buck horn marles sight on it I can hit easy out to 200 years with it. Putting a sling on was easy on the 1899 but the 99 the screw that held the fore arm on couldn't line up because the fore arm wood wasn't enletted enough. Wer didn't know that and guess what broke the last stud. Unlce Mikes doesn't make them any more.
Tried the barrel band for a Remingotn 760 lo, that wouldn't work unless ya was 7 foot tall. Going to try one for a 30 30 and see if that won't work. I'll keep ya posted on the out come.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I think the savage 99 is the most under-rated lever action of all times. From what i have heard the rotary mag on it was where Bill Ruger got the idea for the 1022 magazine.
A 300 savage would make a dandy all-around rifle. Maybe one of these days they will make them again as they should with a rotary mag.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
deputy it sure is mine anything at 200 yards its mine. Its my field gun the one I grab when I have to go check on the a friends sock. I know what ever I run into out there it will gwt the job done. The 303 Savage isn't bad either it will sure knock a deer into the freeze has eseveral times and everytime with iron sights too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts