Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was at the handgun range and saw a guy with a big rifle! I was like, what the hell... as I knew rifle rounds wouldn't be allowed. Turns out it used the .38spl cartridge. I didn't even know such a thing existed. Not sure why someone would want a rifle chambered for .38spl though, other then for practice at an indoor range only.

I'm learning something new everyday! Just thought I'd share since I didn't have anything else to say.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I will occasionally run .38 through my 77/357. I also have a H&R .357 that is very acurate with .38 HBWC's. It shoots low, but one big ragged hole at 25 yards. Good practice for the young ones.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I was at the handgun range and saw a guy with a big rifle! I was like, what the hell... as I knew rifle rounds wouldn't be allowed. Turns out it used the .38spl cartridge. I didn't even know such a thing existed. Not sure why someone would want a rifle chambered for .38spl though, other then for practice at an indoor range only.

I'm learning something new everyday! Just thought I'd share since I didn't have anything else to say.
Did you happen to ask what rifle he was shooting? :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
My Marlin 1894 shoot's 357 Magnum and 38 Special. Either round is completely different in performance out of my Marlin than any handgun.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I run some pretty accurate home spun, aaaaah .38+P+ thorugh my '92. It's fun playing with the .38s and the .357.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have a 1892 winchester built in 1915 that shoots 38 spl or 357 equally well, a real good coyote gun

·
Registered
12 Posts
For Cowboy Action Shooting we all shoot pistol caliber rifles/carbines: .38 Spl, .357 mag, .44 Spl, .44 mag, 45 Colt...

Both my Marlin 1894 and my Henry Big Boy are .357/.38

·
Registered
815 Posts
I shoot my Henry Big Boy chambered for .357 mag a lot with .38 special. I had a friend make up some hand loads that my revolver don't like but they shoot really good out of the Henry. Like has been said, the .38 set up works good for cowboy action shooting.

·
Reloader
4,138 Posts
I have two lever actions, one in .357 and .44mag.. I love them.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you happen to ask what rifle he was shooting? :)
No, I should have, but it was loud and I would dare take of my ear protection to talk in there. It was a lever action rifle.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are there rifles that normally fire rifle rounds, but can shoot some handgun rounds as well? If so, I might be interested in one of those. I wouldn't need a rifle that only fired handgun rounds though.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You get your choice in a lever action, rifle or pistol cartridge, can't buy one gun that will do both. What you saw was most likely a 357mag that he was firing 38spl through, same interchangeability as a 357 revolver. For shorter distances, a lever action chambered in a pistol round is the bees knees. Fun to shoot and fairly cheap on ammo, especially if you reload yourself. I am currently in the market for one to compliment my Security six. Hoping to cook up a round that fires well through both weapons, but who knows if it will work out.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,834 Posts
ChrisLCR, Here's the situation .... if you have a revolver chambered in 357 Mag, it will develop about 1250 fps velocity and 535 ft lbs of energy with a 158 gr factory load. In a rifle chambered for 357 Mag, it will develop about 1800 fps and 1137 ft lbs of energy. As you can see, the rifle's longer barrel will result in a much higher velocity and has more than double the energy of a revolver. A 357 Mag lever action rifle is great for those Wisconsin whitetails at distances up to 100 yards.

If you move up to a 44 Mag, the energy levels from a rifle will rival that of a 30-30 rifle. The beauty of having a lever action rifle chambered in either a 357 Mag or a 44 Mag is ... you can practice with lower power 38 Specials or 44 Specials. This reduces recoil, is easier on your pocket book, plus these cartridges are also compatible with revolvers chambered for the same cartridge. A 44 Mag rifle is powerful enough for any critter in Wisconsin, to include bears.

Here's my Marlin 1894C chambered in 357 Mag. A deadly deer rifle and a real fun gun to shoot.

Here's my Marlin 1894 chambered in 44 Mag. A great "brush gun"

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts

I have a couple 92 rifles chambered for 357/38 made by Rossi. The reason the 92 was made in the first place was that you only needed one caliber for rifle and pistol. That would be a big advantage when out on the range on a horse.

·
Registered
449 Posts
My .357 mag. chambered H&R will fire hand loads that equal the .357 Remington Maximum in the .357 Magnum case (180 gr. & 200 gr.). Since it is single shot, I don't have the COAL to worry about. My cartridge OAL is determined by the throat length and it is ample in the SAAMI chamber. My longest load is a 200 gr. FTX with a COAL of 2.22" and a charge of 18 gr. of IMR4227. This has been proven to be safe in my HandiRifle.

Attachments

·
Registered
575 Posts
My .357 mag. chambered H&R will fire hand loads that equal the .357 Remington Maximum in the .357 Magnum case (180 gr. & 200 gr.). Since it is single shot, I don't have the COAL to worry about. My cartridge OAL is determined by the throat length and it is ample in the SAAMI chamber. My longest load is a 200 gr. FTX with a COAL of 2.22" and a charge of 18 gr. of IMR4227. This has been proven to be safe in my HandiRifle.
I'm not saying you are incorrect but before you get into trouble read the infor in this paste . I have a Encore with 357 Max that shoots 180 Gr at 2400 fps and there is a ton of infor and they rechamber . There are many different article on 357 Max in this paste.

357 Remington Maximum Loading Data

1 - 20 of 59 Posts