Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a little drive today to check out an LGS I'd not been to before. They had a nice selection of guns. They had a good selection of 1911s, and at last I got to see the Ruger in person.

I'm not sure why, but none of the stores nearer to me ever seem to have them.

Alas, a new gun is not in my budget today, but it was nice to finally get a look at the SR1911.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I took a little drive today to check out an LGS I'd not been to before. They had a nice selection of guns. They had a good selection of 1911s, and at last I got to see the Ruger in person.

I'm not sure why, but none of the stores nearer to me ever seem to have them.

Alas, a new gun is not in my budget today, but it was nice to finally get a look at the SR1911.
I don't own one either but I have shot it a bit. Nice gun for sure and they have been very popular hence the lack of supply. It's on my list for sure.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I've had one since February.
They are sweet to shoot.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I got one a while back and fell in love. There great 1911s and worth the money. I've shot colt and a kimber ultra carry. For me the ruger was smooth and well balanced.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
After deciding I wanted to add an SR1911 to "the family" I finally got one last September. There's nothing I can say that hasn't been said on the Forum about what an amazing firearm it truly is. To date I have 700 rounds down range without a single hic-cup or hang-up. What a sweet shooter it is.

This is my first auto-loader after 40 years of shooting. All my others handguns are S/A and D/A revolvers. I can't believe I didn't get into auto-loaders sooner, especially the 1911 models. This SR1911 has been very good to this rookie and I am crazy about it. :eek:

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Bought one in september and have over 2000 rounds through it without even a hiccup! My third and favorite 1911 by far!

·
Registered
701 Posts
After a long search I finally found one several months back that did not have an inflated price. I bought it and it is now my favorite gun. I finally saw one in the LGS down the street last week and it had an $800 price tag. I'm glad I didn't wait.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm... Just got an ad from our largest LGS. They have Remington R1 on sale for $544. Not as nice as the Ruger, but tempting nonetheless.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Got to shoot one today at a Ruger Day Event at LGS. Sweet!!!
If I hadn't depleted my fun money account on a cruise, a week at the beach and a week on a lake in NY. That baby would have come home with me. Next year I resolve to take my vacations at the range.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I recently saw my first SR1911 also. I was browsing in my local gun shop, mentioned that I haven't seen one and the clerk told me they sold one the day before. He was nice enough to let me see it, as it hadn't been picked-up yet. (NY - these things take time) Gorgeous. I have a feeling that I may have to break my revolver only status. My "regular" gun shop has not been able to get one yet, so the wait continues. Has anyone, that is not a certified gunsmith, put an ambi on one?. I am comfortable around all tools from welders to mills, etc., but I am wondering if the precise fitting (where to cut, what angle, and how much) required would be obvious to a technical person, or are the mating parts obscured from view when assembled, so you can't see if you need to remove a little more, or if you are on the brink of removing too much?

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Hmmm... Just got an ad from our largest LGS. They have Remington R1 on sale for $544. Not as nice as the Ruger, but tempting nonetheless.
Well now, I know what you're thinking...I was there once myself...

While after months of tiring of searching and waiting for an SR1911 to appear I almost gave up and went to a Remington R1 or Springfield Armory RO...

But, a little voice told me it was the SR1911 that I really wanted and if I get impatient and settle for something else only to get something to shoot sooner I would regret it and not be as happy as I would had I waited and got the SR1911. The little voice was absolutely right...I was going after the SR1911 or bust...

Moral of the story is whatever you decide to get make sure it's what you want and something you'll be happy with. A hasty decision could have an impact on how much fun you'll have shooting it...

Thanks for letting me double-dip ;)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Have read that the R1 sight has come loose after200 rounds or so, but don't know anyone who has one, to see if it's true...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I have a SR1911 and it's a real nice shooter, better than my Colt Mark IV...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Saw my first SR1911 last night...
My LGS had this gun on order for over a year they told me...I called yesterday and asked if they had any 1911's in stock (in any brand). The person said they had the SR1911 coming, but didn't know when. I decided to stop on my way home from work last night and look at the couple other brands they had and there it was. It might as well of had my name written all over it :). I purchased it today.

Can't wait to get to the range!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought two SR's last week on gunbroker.com and am currently waiting for the second piece to arrive.
I carried and issued Colt when I was on vacation in "sunny southeast Asia" in 1967 and fell in love with it; but I digress!
I got to put the first few rounds downrange last weekend and all I can say is: "Ruger has a winner on their hands with this gun. There's no doubt that this is the most accurate handgun outta' the box I've ever fired in my life!
Besides that, it's a fine a lookin' gun as a Kimber or anything else.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I just bought two SR's last week on gunbroker.com and am currently waiting for the second piece to arrive.
I carried and issued Colt when I was on vacation in "sunny southeast Asia" in 1967 and fell in love with it; but I digress!
I got to put the first few rounds downrange last weekend and all I can say is: "Ruger has a winner on their hands with this gun. There's no doubt that this is the most accurate handgun outta' the box I've ever fired in my life!
Besides that, it's a fine a lookin' gun as a Kimber or anything else.
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.
I've enjoyed mine since February, sounds like you're about to enjoy two..... :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
I finaly saw my first SR1911 that actualy was for sale. A few stores had them but wouldn't sale them, only let you look at them. I thought that kinda sux. But I was at a gunshow this weekend and there was a dealer who had a few for sale. He was asking over $700.oo so I passed. I have heard that Ruger has caught up with these guns and more are coming to market. I have waited this long, a little longer want hurt MUCH! .....Ray

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
There are 10 gun shops in my area and i went to everone of them looking for an SR1911 and none to be found. I only found a Taurus and Kimber :( I have a buyer for the old boat in my yard $1000 so i will have the cash soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have read that the R1 sight has come loose after200 rounds or so, but don't know anyone who has one, to see if it's true...

Not true. I got tired of waiting for the SR1911 as well and bought a Remington R1 talo edition. It is a great shooting pistol and I have over 2000 rounds thru mine and nothing has come loose. I'm still in the market for the SR1911 to add to my Ruger stable and will eventually get one when the opportunity arises. But for now my R1 fits the bill.

Shoot safe.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts