Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We moderators work hard to weed out as many of the scammers as possible. Recently, we had scammers trying to push a fraudulent website. We got rid of the original post, but I had to kick out a new member who was trying to push the same site by plugging it in a comment to an existing thread. Point is, the scammer website problem outlined in this article is not some theoretical thing out there in the far reaches of the internet, it has already impacted this forum. While we do all we can to weed scammers out, the content is at the members risk. That has been reiterated on the classifieds being buyer beware and at the users risk, but it also goes for any advice a member chooses to use or ignore, along with any link a member might click on. That said, this article outlines things to look for to attempt to validate a website that may be new to the user. Also, one thing I have noticed as a red flag for people pushing a fraudulent website is they will post what amounts to the same glowing comment in a couple different threads, so while this isn’t the only thing to look for, it has been an indicator.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
If one gets into rolling their own they won’t get caught with their pant down. :p

Thanks for staying on top of this crap.(y)

Reactions: Crispinday2020

·
Registered
352 Posts
If one gets into rolling their own they won’t get caught with their pant down. :p

Thanks for staying on top of this crap.(y)
FYI, This applies to reloading components as well.
That reload unlimited (not reloading unlimited) place sells ammo and reloading stuff and they are scam city.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a couple of online ammo vendors I trust.

one of em is the only place I was able to get rounds for my 7.65x53 mauser. Yeah the price is double of what is was last year.

I've seen way too many new registered ammo/weapons vendors..and that's a tip. Check the "whois" directory to see when the site came online. Google earth is also handy for scoping out their "retail location" Maybe some people have just recently gotten into the business, but giving them a little stink eye will likely save you money in the long run.

one more tip I'm sure most if not all members here know. If they take paypal, they are a scam, but worth mention if you read this far

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for the "look out". I stick to a couple of trusted LGSs and occasionally Cabela's (if the price is right). And I have a small group of websites that I trust and have used before, with good results ... Bud's, Midway, Kentucky Guns, The Ammunition Store to name a few I trust. I don't chase deals with outfits I've never heard of ....especially now a days.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Somewhat related, but I have had to branch out in the past year and place orders with places I’ve never dealt with before or even heard of.

While there are some scammers out there for sure, I have found a few places that I never would have found in the past that actually had stock on hand at reasonable prices and had excellent customer service.

Stay alert and use your common sense and happy hunting.

·
Super Moderator
22,046 Posts
Other than the big well known on line retailers I'd stay away from buying on line. I'd shop local shops and stores where you can walk out with it in hand if you can find it.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Thanks mods. I'm definitely being careful in my search for components. Keeping them off the forum is definitely a plus. I'm getting tired of "out of stock, no backorder". However, it makes me more cautious when I see "in stock".

·
Registered
248 Posts
The only places I buy ammo are Target Sports USA, SG Ammo, LAX Ammo, Classic Firearms, Midway USA and Aim Surplus. Tactical Sh1t is also a legit site. I haven't bought their ammo, but I've bought other stuff from them.

Check these places if you need to branch out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I tried to order ammo from Glockstore.org but the price and availability was too good. They also said they didn't take credit cards, only online cash transfer. With that I realized there was something wrong. When I checked I saw that the legit "Glockstore" is glockstore.com not .org.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I can't imagine buying ammo online while all of this is going on.

The only places worthwhile seem to be large brick & mortar - and these are the same locations that have halted online sales due to all of the bots depleting all of the ammo!

Most LGS are too steep for my blood as well.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I hate to promote my favorite source as you guys will only rustle my jimmies... but Sam at SG Ammo is beyond reputable.
Once upon a time, he had the best prices and fastest service.

Now look into this light and forget what I said.

The only places I buy ammo are Target Sports USA, SG Ammo, LAX Ammo, Classic Firearms, Midway USA and Aim Surplus. Tactical Sh1t is also a legit site.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts