Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some of you more recent to CCW may have some stories of situations were you really wish you had a gun, but didn't.

One involved my friend and I who was helping me move from TX back to WI a few years back. It was late, and we stopped at some rest stop half way up Illinois in the middle of nowhere to use the rest room, and this guy in there kept staring at me in a most frightening manner. It's hard to describe if you were not there, but it wasn't good to say the least. I don't know if this guy was drunk or something but if he looked like that when he drank, somebody needed to show him a mirror and tell him to stop immediately!

Fortunately, my friend noticing the guy, was on the other side of the him at the urinals, and was ready to jump him if he tried anything. Fortunately, he didn't do anything, and we got out of there as fast as we could. I don't know what might have happened had I been in there alone. Him being there may have saved my life for all I know. Even if I had a CCW at the time, I was in lousy Illinois so I wouldn't have been able to lawfully carry anyway, but I could have at least had pepper spray or something.

Another scary situation I had was at a music store in downtown Milwaukee. This big black guy was totally going ballistic, yelling, screaming and cursing at the top of his lungs threatening to jump over the counter and beat people up if they didn't return some CD his girlfriend bought. This went on for like 10 minutes, and I think I was the only customer in there at the time, trapped in the back of the store, with no cell, no CCW and no way out if this guy went nuts. Fortunately, that situation fizzled as well, and the guy left.

I will do my best not to ever be caught unprepared in situations like this again.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
I had a parking lot incident with a woman that wouldn't take "no I'm not giving you $" for an answer. I really thought it was going to get physical. That was fuel enough for me to get my ccw. Add all the violence in Mid-Mi, it was a no brainer decision.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Homeless guy was beating on my car in downtown Minneapolis. I could not go forward or backward. I was 18 and not very confident in my physical abilities. So i stuck a 20 out the window and he went away. I got some pepper spray and started to box. Looking back, that fear changed my life in the best possible way. I hope nothing like that happens again, but if it does I am better prepared.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Before a CCW, driving back from Denver, CO, about 2am, I stopped at a 24 hour service station in Clarendon, Tx in the Panhandle, to use the restroom and coffee. Clarendon is a small college town, Southeast of Amarillo and if you are familiar with the Panhandle, out in the boonies. Regardless of the CCw, I always carried in my truck when traveling. When I pulled up, there was a car, motor running, with driver. I looked inside, and two guys were there, one near the cooler, the other at checkout. At checkout there was a female clerk and there didn't seem to be anyone else there. Her body language told me there were red flags were going up everywhere. I stayed in my car, took my revolver out of the pouch and just sat there. I had a CB, but no cell phone at the time. The diver began to look nervous, and the two guys, seeing my car outside with headlights on and watching, exchanged looks, and quickly walked out and drove away.

After they drove away I walked in the and the clerk told me she was so glad I drove up, because she thought a robbery or something else was going down. I asked her if she was by herself and she said she was night manager and working alone. I recommend she talk with the owner ASAP and change that. In any case, I was carrying in my car, watching, and in no doubt most likely prevented a robbery or worse.

I don't travel as much overnight anymore, but I always carry.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would wager that hundreds, if not thousands, of stories like these are repeated in the US everyday. Unfortunately, these stories will never get any press coverage.

I also would not be surprised if CHL owners probably prevent a lot of robberies from happening even when the CC handgun is never actually drawn. I know I had an encounter at a gas station where the BG decided to move right along when he saw that I was physically and mentally alert and had a 4x6" black pouch attached to my belt. He suddenly had a case of "ITIHMMC." ["I think I hear my mother calling!"]

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I never go anywhere without one of my pistols on my person. I realize that brandishing isn't lawful, but if I am being threatened, I won't hesitate to unholster my weapon and aim it at my threat. What happens next is entirely up to them.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I was stuck in a bank while it was robbed. I was young. Time stood still. Never felt so helpless. I didn't carry, but if i had I still would have let it play out. He was armed and had the advantage of surprise. He yelled he just wanted the money and no one would get hurt as long as no one did anything stupid. He got his money, left and no one got hurt. Cops caught the bum a few weeks later.

·
Registered
172 Posts
While visiting one of my daughters living in Key Largo last year, I had one of these "situations". Having an early morning flight out of Ft.L-Hylwd airport, we decided to spend the last night there in Ft.L at a hotel near the airport. Packed and ready to go the next morning (still dark outside), we left the building and walked toward my daughter's car in the dim-lit parking lot. Suddenly, my peripheral vision caught a man coming toward us. Instinctively, (I usually carry cross draw at home when carrying), I stuck my hand inside my jacket and turned to confront him, and scanned for others lurking around(none Thank Goodness). I told him to stop, and asked what he wanted. He was watching my hand inside my jacket, and stuttered out that he needed $2 more to get a room. (get a room at 6:00 in the AM?). He had stopped in his tracks and I had directed my daughter to go for the car earlier. I distanced myself farther and told him to "f off, I don't have any cash" he immediately left and we drove around to the front desk and reported him. Didn't see him as we left, and made it safely to the airport. A case where just the suggestion that I had a concealed weapon saved me a hassle in many ways. Sorry for the long story, but I understand that this type of "situation" happens all the time in hotel/motel parking lots. Take care and be safe, especially use your SA!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Had a girl back into me. We pulled over I called the cops and she just sits in her car with a cell phone. half hour later a gigantic guy at least a head taller than me arrives and starts screaming at the girl. I quickly noticed he had some thing in a IWB holster. I had nothing. Cops showed up a good 15 minutes later. Asked if everything was sorted out. The big guy says yes and they drive off (really really pissed at them).

Before he had arrived I convinced the girl to give me the insurance card and registration. The big guy gave me "$400 for my troubles" I took it and left. Called the insurance company later to find out the car was reported stolen. Really wish I was carrying then but living in NY I still don't carry. Only criminals get to carry in my state.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
I'm not new to shooting, but I'm relatively new to gun ownership. I got my first shotgun last summer and my first handgun last Christmas. So I'm about a year in. A few years ago I moved in with a girl as we were both looking for roommates (that "girl" is now my wife so apparently I did something right :D). We lived in a less-than-desirable part of town in Downtown Charleston, SC. Our block was okay, but going just a couple of blocks in any direction would land you in some pretty sketchy areas. We loved our neighbors, but some weird people would make their way through our block to get to these sketchy areas. My car was broken into twice and my wife had her license plate stolen (street parking only).

One night, we were watching TV and heard someone coming up the steps outside (we were in the top-half of a historic house with neighbors down below). I heard someone scuffing around on the porch and then a huge "BANG" on the door. Then another and another. Then banging on the window followed by swearing and threats that he was going to "F me up" and "F-ing kill all you mf-ers", etc. I had no gun so my wife and I both grabbed kitchen knives and called the police. I lived in Downtown Charleston, remember. The police station was less than a 1/2 mile from my house. It took them 25 minutes to show up and they acted annoyed that I called them out and that I didn't have a description of the guy.

I decided right then that I wanted a gun at some point. Even just a little revolver with enough shells to protect my wife and I. I'm not a big dude. I'm not a fighter. I went to art school, for cryin' out loud!

You can bet I've got a handful of guns at the ready now, though and I'm well-versed in how to manipulate all of them. I dare someone to come in my house. I hope I never ever have to shoot anything other than a tin can or a paper target, but I'm confident in my ability to protect my family and I will.

Be safe guys. Desperate times call for desperate measures. I'm not saying it's right, but people will do anything to put food in the mouths of hungry children. And when baby is crying for food, and you're standing between grocery money for the week and momma, you immediately become expendable. I'm not a paranoid person. I don't live in constant fear, but I do recognize that the world is dangerous and that one can't be too prepared.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was driving through NM at night, between Albuquerque and Socorro, on my way to White Sands Missile Range to observe GEODSS operations (I wrote the Operator's Manual). I pulled into a rest stop on a looooooonely stretch fo I-25, no gun, and no one else was there. When I came out, there was a pickup idling behind my car (parked at an angle) and two guys were sitting in it. Could hardly make 'em out. They asked a weird question about whether I'd seen a car broken down. I said I hadn't. They looked at me for a few minutes, saying nothing, then slowly pulled away. I got in and bailed, hitting that 24-valve V6 Taurus engine hard. I saw them pulled over down the highway, but no other car was in sight. I kicked myself for not bringing a gun on the trip. Looking back, I know it was the grace of God. That kind of thing had happened many times before -- inexplicable deliverance.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Forty some odd years ago I walked into a little family owned grocery store in NYC at near closing time. The store clerks were hustling to get the isles swept and head out for the night(Saturday).
I bought my items and as I turned to head to the cashiers I heard a voice yelling "Get to the back of the store"!...over and over.....?
There was this guy facing away, standing in front of the cashiers with a hat and long coat on......as I approached... he spun around...had one hand covering his face.....an in the other hand he held a Howitzer(had to be a 6" diameter hole in the business end((or so the .45 seemed that big))!:eek:

I went to the back of the store w/the other people present of course, just felt in need if the BGs came to the back to silence us...they didn't bother us thank goodness.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Where I wished I had a gun...and didn't...not really! But I can think of three (3) times I did have a gun and was glad that I did!

Brandishing a gun is illegal in my state...however, having softball bats being drawn up against family members after catching a few drunks smashing mailboxes (dad's)...a nice 20 GA sure put an end to that fast! Dad was really, really pissed that I had grabbed a shotgun...but at age 16, it was a lesson I never forgot! The look on ole Ed's face when he saw the shotgun...was priceless! He went from being a wild crazy screaming drunk...to the calmest asshole I've ever seen in about 3 seconds! That argument was over fast...nothing left for him to do but climb back in his 4x4 and drive!

Twice, I've had the experience of meeting people, on the interstate, who were nice enough to show me their gun, once, while driving through Dayton, OH and another time coming north out of Indianapolis, IN...I simply smiled back and showed them mine! Never know when you might meet some really nice folks out there!

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Quit a few years ago (I was in my 40's) I was traveling on business and stopped at a Holiday inn in Citrus hights California near Sacramento...in a suit and a rental car...went in the side door from the parking lot...young (ethnic) man opened the door and said welcome to the Holiday..I walked up to the front of the hotel past the magazine shop and went in for a paper...noticed the kid still hanging around and when I looked at him he ducked back in the doorway....registered and walked back down the same hallway to the elevators...I walked by the door where he was still standing but he was sort of looking out the door. I'm a big guy and in those days a handful (no carry then)...had a carry bag and a hard Samsonite briefcase...sort of felt him fall in behind me....I walked into the hallway with the elevators...no one around and pushed the button...then turned quickly...he was standing there...I dropped the suit bag and swung the hard case samsonite at him and hit him on the shoulder and up alongside his head...the case was heavy with books so really hit him hard..knocked him back and he almost went down...at the same time told him "we're going to do it right here and now"...he looked at 6'2 and 240# of angry man and he turned and ran down the hall and out the door....I figure he was going to get on the elevator with me and do whatever he had in mind...I think I surprised and scared the hell out of him and he just wanted no part....I had no gun and guess he didn't either...might have had a knife but wasn't willing to play and I'm very glad...reported it to the desk and they said they'd had a couple of assaults in the parking lot in the recent past. I would probably have pulled had I been carrying...just part of being on the road for a lot of years...I was very lucky in many cases and many ways.

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
Bought my first handgun +40 years ago.

Have carried off and on over the years, often because of dictates of the job I was working. Some sent me into pretty dicey situations.

There have been times I wished I had a gun, but never a situation where I actually needed one.

I have wondered if things would have turned out differently if I had been armed in a couple of those situations, and what that would have meant.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Was robbed 3 times twice at gun point and once hit in head with bat. Don't know if carrying would have helped any. I was a delivery driver in the Hood for 30 years and was required to collect cash from customers. Never got shoot but was out for 2 weeks with bat incident.

·
Registered
114 Posts
once in my younger years my father and i were were walking in a wooded area near our home and we were suprised by a pack of four large dogs. a few of them growled and slowly circled us. neither of us had anything to use as a weapon incase they attacked. as it happened, we stood very still, and they went on their way after a moment. I dont want to be in a situation like that ever again, and now that im well beyond old enough to carry, I choose to. an ounce of prevention...

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
once in my younger years my father and i were were walking in a wooded area near our home and we were suprised by a pack of four large dogs. a few of them growled and slowly circled us. neither of us had anything to use as a weapon incase they attacked. as it happened, we stood very still, and they went on their way after a moment. I dont want to be in a situation like that ever again, and now that im well beyond old enough to carry, I choose to. an ounce of prevention...
Excellent point! This is one area of CCW people often overlook, protecting yourself and your loved ones from viscous animals on the loose. I keep seeing more and more pit bulls in my area, and I wonder what might happen if one of those things got loose, especially considering some of their owners in my area look to be equally as viscous as their dogs themselves.

If one of those things or some other vicious wild animal ever corners me or charges at me in an aggressive way, I won't hesitate to find out just what my CCW can do.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.