Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thursday started as a normal work-at-home day. Little workout in the living room with the kettle bells and a walk around the yard before logging on.
2 PM still doing good.
3 PM decided to carry a couple bags of trash out to the garage to haul down to the road. I try to get up and walk around at least every hour to prevent another DVT like several years back.
The two bags were light. Could carry them in one hand. I was panting for breath and sweating profusely before I could get to the garage. Put the bags in the truck, took a break to get my breath back, and walked back to the house. Again, panting and sweating.
The rest of the evening was pretty non-eventful. Could make coffee, wash dishes, and such with no distress whatsoever.

About 3:30 Friday morning I woke up early, put on a tshirt, pair of gym shorts, and a pair of socks. And felt like I had just run up a flight of stairs! Made my way out to another room, hit a recliner, and took about 5 minutes to catch my breath, still convinced it wasn't anything cardiac.
Made it back halfway to the bedroom and took another break. Then got into the bedroom where the Boss Lady woke due to the panting and asked if I was OK. I told her "I think I'm in trouble", and went back to the living room and sat down inside the front door. She got dressed and I told her to just pull her car up to the front door. No way I could make it to the garage.

Took me to the ER where I was put on oxygen. That had a little effect. But any exertion at all left me exhausted. Out of breath, sweating, and muscles burning.

Found out I have a clot from the head of my femur to my knee. And that is after it had lost a bunch of chunks to cause bi-lateral pulmonary embolism. Clots in both lungs.
The ER gave me a bolus of heprin and started a heprin drip. That cleared out the lungs enough so the oxygen they had put on could have a little better effect. Got transported to another branch of the hospital that afternoon where they inserted a filter in my inferior vena cava (just under my heart).

People in the ER kept looking at me with that deer in the headlights look. Couldn't figure out why. Boss Lady kept telling me I was really, really lucky I woke up when I did, that if I had slept until the alarm went off at 4:30, I would have been wandered off in the woods. One of the EMTs took a picture of me with his cellphone and showed it to me. I was almost as blue as the suffocation victims you see on TV.

Got released from the sick house yesterday afternoon. Back at work (from home) this morning, and feeling almost right as rain. Just can't walk fast from here to there. Or carry much from anywhere to anywhere else.
Fixed lunch, washed the dishes, no probs.

Reactions: campfire

·
Administrator
23,652 Posts
Glad to hear they got it under control as that is a very serious issue. Are they keeping you on blood thinners?

If there ever is a next time then head for the hospital at the first sign of trouble. Listen to your body cause it doesn't lie.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Scary times, indeed! I'm glad to hear you're still up & running ... or at least walking. Take care! :)

·
Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
People in the ER kept looking at me with that deer in the headlights look. Couldn't figure out why. Boss Lady kept telling me I was really, really lucky I woke up when I did, that if I had slept until the alarm went off at 4:30, I would have been wandered off in the woods. One of the EMTs took a picture of me with his cellphone and showed it to me. I was almost as blue as the suffocation victims you see on TV.
As a paramedic, I'm going to tell you that you are extremely lucky to still be alive..... :eek: :eek: :eek:
A lot would not live to tell that tale.
Next time, don't leave it that long before you do something about it.....
:confused:
Don't want to see your avatar missing from here prematurely.
That said, glad it turned out as it did for you, stay well. :D
James.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
wow! glad you're doing ok. and thanks. it's stories like your that can keep the rest of us on our toes. i have heart disease coming at me from both sides of my family, so it's scary to contemplate. i'm one of those aspirin everyday people, just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I lost my first wife to that very same thing. She went for knee surgery on Friday, passed sometime on Saturday morning in her sleep from a pulmonary embolism. Being I worked nights at the time, I woke up at 9:30 am and she was gone. Medical exam said she passed about 7 am.

Glad to hear you made it. Definitely a scary ordeal!!

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Very lucky person...blood clots are a really serious deal...I had a knee replaced in 06 and the doc said their main concern with knees and hips are blood clots...used to be infection but it's clots...you are a very lucky man and I'll keep holding good thoughts.
opos

·
Registered
575 Posts
Ed, wow. That was scary. We are all sure glad you pulled through. Sounds like what some of the other guys have said is mighty good advice.

Hang in there!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
So glad that you survived and are still with us.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
Glad to have you sill with us Ed. Thats scary stuff that gets written about AFTER the dirt drops. Praise the Lord for your light sleeping wife!.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Waking up early may have saved your life? When I hear of such "conicidences" I can't help but think about a guardian angel hanging around. Its a nice thought.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.