Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my set of Smith and Wesson Schofield 2000's. S&W made less than 3000 of these in the early 2000's. Like the original they are chambered in .45 Schofield only.I have the cherry wood presentation boxes that S&W sold them in. Everyone was virtually hand built in the Performance Center, no 2 barrel contours are alike as they were all hand finished. They were essentially a commercial failure for S&W but as with most guns have really risen in value since in the last few years. One of these beauties was sitting on a for sale table one morning at a cowboy shoot. I bought it an the gentleman said that he had 2 but had split the pair a couple years before. Well I tracked down the owner of the second one and managed to buy that one as well. These were a dream set of guns for me and I had wanted one ever since I was a boy. Hopefully my son digs them as much as much as I do someday. Hope I am not boring you guys with all these pics, just cool to share stuff with other gun guys.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
My dreams about twins are a little different but those are very nice looking. Were they originally sold together as a set or did it just work out that way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My dreams about twins are a little different but those are very nice looking. Were they originally sold together as a set or did it just work out that way.
None were sold as pairs to my knowledge. And these are not consecutive serial numbers.

·
Registered
711 Posts
As you said, beauties, and real Smith&Wesson's too. What are your thoughts about how they handle and shoot compared with the Colt? Thank you for putting up the photos.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As you said, beauties, and real Smith&Wesson's too. What are your thoughts about how they handle and shoot compared with the Colt? Thank you for putting up the photos.
Thank you. Well to me they are very very different. Whether you are shooting them two handed or duelist style.You can be no where near the trigger when cocking or they lock up, the hammer is bit of a reach even for large hands, you have to take a very high grip if you. They point and balance well and for 7" feel much lighter than a calvary model Colt. I often wonder what I would have chosen to carry back in the day. And between my these S&W's, my first Gen Colt and now my Merwin Hulbert I don't know it's a toss up.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,028 Posts
My dreams of twins are different as well.:D

However I really like the Schofield. I find them very interesting, in a time of single action army pistols, and black powder revolvers I feel it was a truly innovative design. Necessity is the mother of all invention, and the schofield demonstrates that for sure. I have read that on horse back this was a great sidearm due to its easier reloading capability compared to a saa I can see why.. Yesterday when I stopped in my local gunshop after going to the range I saw a reproduction of a Schofield, polished stainless finish. I would love to own one or 2. It seems every time I see one, I have to fondle it. Very nice pair you have there, I am sure your are deeply proud of them.;)

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I love twins..... ;) :D

·
Registered
17,258 Posts
Those are nice.
A pair to beat aces.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Nice lookin' guns Deuce, I have never held or shot a 45 Schofield. I imagine at a SASS match they are a great conversational topic. My newest "twins" are the SASS Vaqueros in 357 to go along with twin Blackhawks in 45LC.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Those are absolute beauties deuce, thanks very much for sharing.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Gorgeous guns. Imo I believe the reason they failed for S&W was for two reasons.
1. Only available in .45 Schofield instead of .45 Colt like the Italian repro's. I get that they were going for authenticity but .45 Schofield just isn't common enough in most local gun shops and not everyone reloads.
2. Higher cost than a Cimarron/Uberti.

·
Registered
947 Posts
S&W produced a run of these Schofields in nickel plate and also a run of 'Wells Fargo" edition Schofields in 2001....you'll have to see if you can score those to complete your collection. I have an older Blue Book (34th edition) which lists your revolvers, but they don't list production numbers or values. Maybe a newer Blue Book does. It did say the MSRP on each of your revolvers at the time was $1800. With the popularity of Cowboy action shooting these days, I'm certain the demand for these will go up....They're a real pretty pair!:D

·
Registered
467 Posts
Wow, deucestevens, that's pretty cool!

In his standout performance as psychopathic Charlie Prince in the 2007 version of 3:10 to Yuma, actor Ben Foster carried a pair of Schofields.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts