Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2008

Scenario: Jack goes quail hunting before school, pulls into school parking lot with shotgun in gun rack.

1957 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.
2008 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.
1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
2008 - Police called, SWAT team arrives, arrests Johnny and Mark. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario: Jeffrey won't be still in class, disrupts other students.
1957 - Jeffrey sent to office and given a good paddling by the Principal. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
2008 - Jeffrey given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. School gets extra money from state because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.
1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.
2008 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang. State psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has affair with psychologist.

Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.
1957 - Mark shares aspirin with Principal out on the smoking dock.
2008 - Police called, Mark expelled from school for drug violations. Car searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario: Pedro fails high school English.
1957 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes to college.
2008 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English banned from core curriculum. Pedro given diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from 4th of July, puts them in a model airplane pain t bottle, blows up a red ant bed.
1957 - Ants die.
2008 - ATF, Homeland Security, FBI called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, FBI investigates parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated, Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario: Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.
1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
2008 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I brought a .410 shotgun to school for show & tell. :eek:
( How to clean a shotgun ) That was around 1967. Didn't even
have to get a note.

·
Registered
754 Posts
We used to park in the High School lot, with shotguns, rifles, archery equipment, & enough ammo to start a small war ! No one even noticed, or cared, nor would they have ever bothered it. We used to show up late for School, after the attendance was sent to the Office. That way, we were marked "absent" on the morning list. The "tardy list didn't go to the Office till late afternoon. Sooooooooo, We'd check in late, & since we were "absent" we could leave again, & go hunting for small game all morning.

I had an old 54 Chevy then, & if any of You remember back that far. We never bothered to even lock the car ! Another convenience, was that the "Old Chev." didn't even require a key !! It had lugs on the ignition switch, that unless You'd have locked it, ( which we never did ) could be turned on & started without a key. ( & everyone knew it too ) Even if Your car required a key, it was "always" in the ignition ! I can often times remember coming out of School, to find My Chevy "gone" !! So, you just waited a few minutes, & whoever borrowed it would return it, complete with an explanation of where it had been !

Actually, it's kind of fun thinking back on all this.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I have this recurring case of CRS, so if you have seen this before please disregard.

1964-1969, KCMO high school. Was a very enthusiastic member of the JR-ROTC program. Drill team, rifle team, color guard.

When there was a scheduled football, or basket ball game, it was the responsibility of both the drill team, and color guard team, to get all their gear to and from the games. Before I was old enough to drive, I would sling my M1 Garand
over my shoulder and walk home. This was about three miles down streets and side walks.

No one gave me a second look.

Well actually one elderly lade did make a comment one sunny spring day as I was walking home after school.

She complemented me on my bearing, courtesy, and obvious pride in wearing the uniform.

Damme if I didn't BLUSH!!!

·
Banned
700 Posts
Though entertaining, your A-B Scenario omits the causes of the breakdown which often made the effects unavoidable. It only presents the effects.
The causes are quite complicated and involved.
You might say as we sowed so are we reaping!

I wonder what we're doing today to cause even more grief tomorrow!

SD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts