Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These two are in consideration for a CCW.
I went to the LGS today to look at each side by side. While talking to the clerk I asked if these were DA pistol he says yes. I pull the trigger on each a few times ( after checking for safe condition) and neither worked in DA operation. I said why doesn't the trigger cock and then release the trigger? He tells me "because the slide has to operate to cock the internal hammer" Then shows me....To me that is single action then.
Were we both missing something like a safety or something on these that keeps the trigger from operating in DA? Is this a DA/SA design.
I didn't notice on the Rugers site or in the spec sheet on the site what the action of these pistol are.
Thanks
Darrell

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I have a SR9c, it is a great gun. it is DA/SA. The LC9 is DA only here is a link to the Ruger page with more detail. Ruger® LC9™ Centerfire Pistol
If you click on the SR9c. below it just above the word standard you will get the specs on the 9c.
hope this helps.
My personal preference of the two is the 9c but the LC9 is smaller and lighter for concealed carry. I recommend if you can shoot them both before making your decision to buy.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well duh..---slaps palm to forehead---
I didn't think to click on the LC9 or SR9C logo just the listings under them. Thanks
So back to the main question...even on a striker fired pistol shouldn't each pull of the trigger cock and fire the striker?
Darrell

·
Registered
358 Posts
So back to the main question...even on a striker fired pistol shouldn't each pull of the trigger cock and fire the striker?
Darrell
No, in the case of the SR striker fired pistols the trigger simply releases the partially cocked striker. That's why the slide has to be cycled. The LC9 is actually a hammer fired weapon - its hammer is internal, but you can see it from the back of the pistol. It partially cocks the hammer and it also needs the slide to cycle to fire. The SR though has a MUCH shorter, positive trigger than the LC9

There are exceptions, but most pistols like the SR9 and the LC9 require the slide to be precocked. The pistols that you can simply pull the trigger and fire are typically DA/SA pistols. Normally they have a first pull that is long double action and subsequent shots are short, crisp SA shots.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have both. The SR9c came first and is amazing, very accurate, reasonable recoil and fits well in my hand. I haven't had a bit of trouble with it in almost 1,000 rounds. Purchased a garrett Industries Silent Thunder Slim aiwb holster for concealed carry. Can't say enough about this gun and holster.

The LC9 is of course smaller but the biggest difference is the trigger. It has smooth but long double action trigger pull. It too fits nicely in my hand. I don't shoot it as well as the SR9c but but well enough to accomplish this gun's intended purpose and I'm improving with practice. Just got it back from Ruger after front/rear sights and a pin came loose after several hundred rounds. If you do much research you will find folks either love or hate this gun. Many modify the trigger. Mine is staying stock. Am waiting on another Silent Thunder Slim aiwb holster for it.

Remember, they are two different kinds of guns. I stay with Rugers because I like the safeties/loaded chamber indicators and they have outstanding customer service service

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think part of your problem is you're thinking revolver instead of semi auto. DA/SA really have a slightly different meaning in SA's than revolvers.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jayinsat. You are exactly right I am trying to transfer knowledge of how the revolvers DA/SA triggers work over to semi auto..
I "thought" they would have been the same since I have seen true DA semis...albeit they had a external hammer..maybe I am expecting to much.

On another note I like the sliding firing pin actuating plate on the revolvers so I can safely carry round in the chamber and know the hammer can not accidentally hit the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled.....I need to see the mechanics of the semis and see how they work. I understand from reading here that these two semis are equally safe..I just need to "see" how they work.
Thanks all.
Darrell

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I am also looking into buying an SR9c to go along with my SR40. I like the SR40 but am a little ??? about its recoil in the compact form with half the grip. I also am not to happy about having to then purchase 9mm ammo :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts