Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Emperor
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about picking up a Ruger Mark IV but am somewhat bewildered by the variety of models. I would use this pistol primarily for target shooting at ranges up to 25 yards, and mostly less. I don't anticipate becoming a precision bullseye shooter.

While I would sort of like an adjustable rear sight, it is certainly not essential and I am somewhat leaning toward the "Standard" model 40105 with the longer 6" barrel.

For those who have shot more than one model of the Mark IV, what is your preference and why?

·
Registered
518 Posts
PB,

IMHO, the Ruger 40107 is not only the best $$$ value in the MkIV line-up (can be had for under 3 Franklins), but also offers target sights, the 1911 grip angle and a 5.5" Bull Barrel that balances and points well on top the polymer grip lower! Target shooting, side carry or just plain fun plinking, it has it all!!

Ted

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,561 Posts
I agree with Theo98, post #2. I have the Mark III 22/45 Bull Barrel and plan on getting a Mark IV because of the easy takedown. I love my Mark and it is the best buy for me in rimfire. I can not say enough good things about it. Look at the other Mark IV models too. If you can go rent a few and see what fits you. You can not go wrong with these Ruger's in my opinion. Take your time and get what you want you will be happy.
pblanc have a great day! Good luck...

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I currently have 4 mk iv’s including the 22/45 mentioned in post #2 and it certainly is one of my favorites because I am a huge 1911 guy so that grip is natural to me. You really can’t go wrong with any of them. If one jumps out at you, grab it and don’t look back. I do like the target models with the bull barrel. Personally, I find the 22/45 lite models too lite for my taste but they are still great guns. I just like a little more weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I now have two Mark IV's: A standard Tactical and just picked up a 22/45 lite. The grip is really the only difference (other than weight), so I would try both if you can to see which one you like best. They are fun to shoot, so you might want to pick up a couple of extra magazines.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I now have two Mark IV's: A standard Tactical and just picked up a 22/45 lite. The grip is really the only difference (other than weight), so I would try both if you can to see which one you like best. They are fun to shoot, so you might want to pick up a couple of extra magazines.
Great suggestion, LR! The different "grip angles" between the SS/Aluminum lowers (Ruger standard since 1949) and the Polymer lowers (same as a 1911-Ruger introduced in 1992-called the 22/45) can be visualized below. Some prefer one over the other, but till you put them in Your Hands as LR states, you may not have chosen the best fit for you!

Ted

------Ruger Standard (blue) vs 22-45 (green) Grip Angles-----

Ruger Standard (blue) vs 22-45 (green) Grip Angles.jpg

·
Registered
465 Posts
I had a model 40105 for a couple months and then sold it to a friend. It worked fine, but I really hated the MKIV safety and the light weight of the aluminum frame. I have a MKII and a MKIII "Standard" model with 4.75" barrel (and all steel frame) that I absolutely love. I think the "difficulty" of takedown is really overblown. You just need to learn to think about where gravity has the hammer strut hanging inside the frame. Then breakdown and assembly is a breeze.

I have also shot a MKIV 22/45 bull barrel pistol, and found it to be quite accurate. But the 1911 style frame feels like holding a broomstick to me. If I aimed it naturally, it would be hitting the ground under the target at 20 yards. Just not for me.

So the advice to try some pistols out before you buy is sound. What works for me may not work for you - and visa versa. But I'm sure you'll find something that just "feels just right" to you. Ruger has made a LOT of different models over the years, and they are all beautiful to the people that own them!

·
Righteous Dude
21,532 Posts
As far as I can tell, they're all pretty great. I have had and shot the Hunter, Tactical, and LITE... They are all excellent. Sold the Hunter and wish I hadn't. I have threaded models for suppressor usage. They have all shot well and are a bunch of fun.

·
Registered
375 Posts
This is the holster I made for my Mark IV 22/45 Lite. I like the Lite and find it to be as accurate as my target model. I use it primarily for steel challenge matches.

·
Registered
375 Posts

I like the the Mark IV 22/45 Lite the best. It's as accurate as my target model but is really lite. Great gun for steel shooting.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I'm a novice Bullseye shooter and recently bought the Mk4 Tactical #40150 with the standard grip angle. I guess any gun can be very accurate on the first shot but during a match, there's #2, #3, etc in a limited amount of time. My old Mk1 jumped around a lot until I added a stick-on barrel weight for a shotgun. There were other issues of using Mk2, Mk3 parts on a Mk1 platform, so....

There seems to be more competition grip options with the standard grip angle than the 22/45.

I'm slowly getting it ready for the fall season. Not planning to get a suppressor. Tactical has a 4.4" bull barrel and the Target has a 5.5". I got the Tactical so I could add a muzzle brake. It's all about keeping the red dot on the bullseye shot after shot.

·
Registered
66 Posts
PB,

IMHO, the Ruger 40107 is not only the best $$$ value in the MkIV line-up (can be had for under 3 Franklins), but also offers target sights, the 1911 grip angle and a 5.5" Bull Barrel that balances and points well on top the polymer grip lower! Target shooting, side carry or just plain fun plinking, it has it all!! Ted
Agreed. Happy with mine. It's accurate, runs great with the inexpensive Golden Bullets and so easy to clean.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Glad to see you are finding the new Mark IV Lite as accurate as the older ones. I have a stainless Mark II Target but I was thinking about selling it to get the new lite version. Mine is crazy accurate, but I'd like to have something lighter for my sons to shoot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I traded a stainless 22/45 Mark lll hunter last week for a Mark IV 22/45 lite, so far I am pleased with the trade. Shoots everything and I really enjoy the ease to reassemble.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Have the MKIV 22/45 Lite. Can't go wrong with any of them as far as I can tell. I went for the 22/45 because my wife and I are 1911 shooters. Went with the lite because she liked it better and I did not have a preference. Very comfortable to shoot and far more accurate than I am

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks a little like a ray gun. Shot it a little the other day prior to attaching compensator (Tandemkross).

Replacing trigger 'guts' and a grip with Volquartsen next week. Also filling in the screw holes on barrel with screws and may add a 3 oz barrel weight underneath to also minimize muzzle jump between single-hand shots in Bullseye matches.

·
Registered
465 Posts
spike55 said:
.. filling in the screw holes on barrel with screws and may add a 3 oz barrel weight underneath to also minimize muzzle jump between single-hand shots in Bullseye matches.
With the pistol you have and the application you're intending, you might consider putting a red/green laser on the lower rail and losing the red dot. We don't read much about lasers in the forums, but I think that's because people can't hold their pistols very steady. Any movement shows up on the target for everyone to see. But...

A couple weeks ago, a guy at the range was shooting a 9mm with a laser and I was extremely impressed. He was shooting fairly rapid fire, and holes were appearing in the bull every time the light passed thru. Sure it was only at self defense range, but the speed and accuracy told me he had practiced a LOT after adding the laser. He was many times better than the average shooter.

Just something to consider.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts