Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
As always, a clear, concise, in-depth, and helpful article for gun owners. This forum is fortunate to have a member like Iowegan who has contributed so much knowledge to those of us who enjoy our firearms. Thanks again Gary, for an excellent article.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Good stuff. Thanks.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
I just finished reading it. Thanks. When I make an adjustment I usually will shoot two rounds without really aiming to seat the inner tube. I've found that if I use the first shot to re-adjust I end up chasing it around. I never knew about the inner tube but from experience just found that it needed a few shots to settle the adjustment.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
For me, this is a read in progress.
Thanks mate for the sticky, great reference material.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I can't get it to download on my tablet so I'll have to try again on the PC.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
Great stuff...didn't know how much I didn't know until I read this.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Iowegan, very informative & timely for me as I am recently getting into rimfire rifle target shooting(22LR & .17HMR).

As always, thanks!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Good info.....30-34mm scopes also offer more elevation adjustment for the long range shooters.....BDC reticles can be very advantageous for anyone, in order for it to be effective you need to learn range estimation and the load you shoot in your rifle....a lot of people do not take the time to know the trajectory of round they normally shoot past 100 yards, a BDC scope can make longer range hits very easy.....take the extra time at the range....

·
AT1(AW)
1,234 Posts
Thank you, great information.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Most scopes have turret "clicks" calibrated for 4 clicks to the inch at 100 yards or 16 clicks to the inch for 25 yards.

This seems backwards to me.
Can someone please explain.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Most scopes have turret "clicks" calibrated for 4 clicks to the inch at 100 yards or 16 clicks to the inch for 25 yards.

This seems backwards to me.
Can someone please explain.
It's right.

If you need 4 clicks to move the POI 1" at a longer distance, you will need 4 times as many click when you are 4 times closer.

If you were 4 times further away you would need 1/4 as many clicks or just 1 click.

Draw it out on paper if you need a graphic example.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks Lowegan - That is a very good & easily understood read. Reminded me of Star Ware by Harrington. If you ever look for a night sky scope or just enjoy the optics side of things you may want to give it a look. Way up there in Husker land you should have a good dark sky.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Lowegan,

This is one of the best white papers I have read on the subject. I shared this paper with a new gun owner and he was able to zero in his rifle himself.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts