Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an older bushnell elite 4200 6-24X currently mounted on my custom- made PCP .22 air rifle capable of velocities of 900fps+..

i use this gun primarily for small-game hunting--ie--pigeons, squirrels, wild chicken, etc.....and other locally available small game..

i have a ruger 10/22 on order and am thinking of putting this scope on the ruger also for the same purpose--ie--hunting locally available small game--and getting a less powerful scope for the air rifle..

does this sound like a good plan??

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Depending on your needs, I think that sounds like a good plan. If you are going to do the majority of your small game hunting with the Ruger, then you'll want the best optics possible for that rifle. I'd put the scope on the 10/22 and get a lower power RimFire scope for the air rifle. I can definitely recommend the Nikon 3-9x40 ProStaff RimFire scope.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depending on your needs, I think that sounds like a good plan. If you are going to do the majority of your small game hunting with the Ruger, then you'll want the best optics possible for that rifle. I'd put the scope on the 10/22 and get a lower power RimFire scope for the air rifle. I can definitely recommend the Nikon 3-9x40 ProStaff RimFire scope.
...thanks for the quick reply matthew!!

i'm almost 100% sure that's what i'm going to do--and there's a good deal here now on that nikon(pre-owned)!!

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
...thanks for the quick reply matthew!!

i'm almost 100% sure that's what i'm going to do--and there's a good deal here now on that nikon(pre-owned)!!
No problem at all. Glad to be of service.

I think the scope you're referring to is mine, actually. I forgot that I listed it here. It's definitely still available so if you're interested let me know. You can send me a PM. I can send you a link to an eBay auction of the item with photos of it so you can see it if you would like.

Great scope for the money. :)

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
I'll second that recommendation for the Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9x40. Great scope for the money and it's parallax set for rimfire ranges. I've got a couple of them and love them. On a 10/22 Carbine, the 4x version of the Nikon Prostaff Rimfire makes even more sense, due to it's smaller size and 4x is plenty for typical 10/22 shooting. I put the 4x on our 10/22 SD and now my husband hogs it when we go to the range, so I got another 10/22 for myself. :)

Size is the only issue that would make me pause before using that big Elite on a 10/22. It would be a great scope for the 10/22 Target, where weight is not really an issue, but it's an awfully big and heavy scope for a 10/22 Carbine. You'll lose a lot of that great 10/22 handling and feel with such a big scope, but, of course, that's a personal decision. You'll love the 10/22 no matter what you put on it. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I recently went thru the same routine and did the opposite of what you are saying you intend to do...

I never really liked or wanted scopes...my son in the 90s was into air rifle competition...he had a high dollar 22 pellet rifle...with a 40mm AOTT-1/8 MOA scope...when he got older I sold the air rifle but kept the scope...it was the only one I had so I put it the 10/22...too big...too high...too heavy...didn't need or want 1/8 clicks even tho I want to use it for SB silhouette...the AO was nice to have...

Decided to invest in a higher quality...smaller, lower, lighter scope...

Went with the Leupold VX-1 2-7x28mm fixed parallax at 60 yards...have it mounted at this time with Weaver Low rings (these are the lowest mounting rings I have found to date) on a Weaver TO-9 rail...

Besides the very low mounting and very light weight it has the fine duplex reticule which IMO is a GREAT feature and should not be overlooked...

If money was no object for me I would rather have the Leupold VX-2 3-9x33mm EFR...comes with fine reticule...it's still light weight and would clear my bull barrel with the mount/rings I have now...however it cost twice as much and added 4oz of weight as well and so I passed on it...

IMO...you need a higher power scope for the air rifle but not the rimfire...especially if you are hunting at 60 yards or less...

Weaver makes a nice 3-9x32 AO scope very close to the Leupold and for not much more than the VX-1 I bought...it does not have the fine duplex and didn't come with lens caps...seemingly minor details and it was a hard decision for me as I am not buying any more scopes...I wanted high quality, light weight, low mount, fine duplex and that is what I got...working extremely well at 75 yards...for past that you would want to move up a notch IMO...small targets are still quite small at a 100 yards at 7x for my eyes and there the fine duplex is making a real difference...

These are just my opinions...I am not an expert and not trying to convince anyone... :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The picture below is Leupold Rifleman Low Rings...I can't believe how nice these rings are for under $20...I am extremely impressed...however...they were not low enough so it currently has Weaver Low rings which dropped the height buy .07"...big difference...

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
I recently went thru the same routine and did the opposite of what you are saying you intend to do...

I never really liked or wanted scopes...my son in the 90s was into air rifle competition...he had a high dollar 22 pellet rifle...with a 40mm AOTT-1/8 MOA scope...when he got older I sold the air rifle but kept the scope...it was the only one I had so I put it the 10/22...too big...too high...too heavy...didn't need or want 1/8 clicks even tho I want to use it for SB silhouette...the AO was nice to have...

Decided to invest in a higher quality...smaller, lower, lighter scope...

Went with the Leupold VX-1 2-7x28mm fixed parallax at 60 yards...have it mounted at this time with Weaver Low rings (these are the lowest mounting rings I have found to date) on a Weaver TO-9 rail...

Besides the very low mounting and very light weight it has the fine duplex reticule which IMO is a GREAT feature and should not be overlooked...

If money was no object for me I would rather have the Leupold VX-2 3-9x33mm EFR...comes with fine reticule...it's still light weight and would clear my bull barrel with the mount/rings I have now...however it cost twice as much and added 4oz of weight as well and so I passed on it...

IMO...you need a higher power scope for the air rifle but not the rimfire...especially if you are hunting at 60 yards or less...

Weaver makes a nice 3-9x32 AO scope very close to the Leupold and for not much more than the VX-1 I bought...it does not have the fine duplex and didn't come with lens caps...seemingly minor details and it was a hard decision for me as I am not buying any more scopes...I wanted high quality, light weight, low mount, fine duplex and that is what I got...working extremely well at 75 yards...for past that you would want to move up a notch IMO...small targets are still quite small at a 100 yards at 7x for my eyes and there the fine duplex is making a real difference...

These are just my opinions...I am not an expert and not trying to convince anyone... :D
A good friend of mine has a similar Leupold in gloss black on his Browning .22 Lever Action and it is a really nice optic for the money. I think it does a lot for classic rifles to keep a classic-looking optic on them.

If your rifle is just a carbine and you're planning on keeping it stock, the Leupold is a nice option. It'll blend nicely with the classic finish on the carbine. But if you're going to trick it out at all, it really won't matter much what you put on it.

Really, it comes down to personal preference and how much money you have in your pocket. :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Check out the DNZ integrated mount for the 10/22. It is rings and mount in one very solid and I paid $35 at lgs. Will post a picture mounted on my rifle when I get home tonight gb45

·
Registered
485 Posts
Here is my Ruger CV LTD 10/22 with NIKON RIMFIRE 3-9x40 BDC scope made just for .22LR mounted on the DNZ GAME REAPER INTEGRATED MEDIUM HEIGHT BASE/RINGS. I like my scopes as close to the barrel as possible and you can see that the 40mm scope clears the front sights without having to remove them. The DNZ mount is very solid and has a great clean look to it. I paid $35 at LGS for this mount which is less than I would have paid for my typical set of BURRIS Z-RINGS and a scope base.

GB45

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Here is my Ruger CV LTD 10/22 with NIKON RIMFIRE 3-9x40 BDC scope made just for .22LR mounted on the DNZ GAME REAPER INTEGRATED MEDIUM HEIGHT BASE/RINGS.
GB45
Man, that's a good-looking mount. I wish they made it in 30mm... I've got a Bushnell red dot with rings, but I'd sure love a mount like that. I bought some medium rings today, but hated them. Going to try and exchange them out for some low ones if they have any. Still would prefer the look and height of that integral base.

That scope is the exact one I have up for sale in the classifieds. Excellent optic for the money. Looks great on that CV!

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Golfbuddy45.....

Nice looking rifle...

I was trying to find someone who had that DNZ low mounted on a 10/22 for quite some time...

Can you please tell me what the height from the top of the receiver to the bottom of the 1" tube is...if it wasn't mounted you could put a caliper from the bottom of the base to the bottom of the saddle and that would be the dimension I would like to know...not asking you to remove your scope...but if you get the chance to measure it sometime please let me know...

TIA...
ZG

·
Registered
485 Posts
Man, that's a good-looking mount. I wish they made it in 30mm... I've got a Bushnell red dot with rings, but I'd sure love a mount like that. I bought some medium rings today, but hated them. Going to try and exchange them out for some low ones if they have any. Still would prefer the look and height of that integral base.

That scope is the exact one I have up for sale in the classifieds. Excellent optic for the money. Looks great on that CV!

They do make it in a 30mm: MSRP is almost double what I paid. Not sure what it would cost through normal gun shop discount . . .

Ruger 10-22-30MM scope tube-High Mount-Silver
Model: 11088S
Shipping Weight: 0.25lbs
6 Units in Stock
Manufactured by: Certified Machining, Inc

·
Registered
485 Posts
Golfbuddy45.....

Nice looking rifle...

I was trying to find someone who had that DNZ low mounted on a 10/22 for quite some time...

Can you please tell me what the height from the top of the receiver to the bottom of the 1" tube is...if it wasn't mounted you could put a caliper from the bottom of the base to the bottom of the saddle and that would be the dimension I would like to know...not asking you to remove your scope...but if you get the chance to measure it sometime please let me know...

TIA...
ZG
I will do some measuring for you on mine but it is a MEDIUM mount . . DNZ does make the 10/22 mount in LOW, MEDIUM, and HIGH in both SILVER or Black. They also make the medium mount in CAMO....

GB45

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Thank you...if that is a medium then a low might be low enough for me...

The rings are in the right place too...

I looked at them carefully a while back but apparently the information I had gotten for the low was actually for the medium...which is good news...

Yours is the only one I have seen good pics of...glad I got to see yours...thanks again for posting the pics...

Later...
ZG

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hey Zommy, a 2-7x32 should fit perfectly in the low mounts and if I removed the rear barrel sight I think this 3-9x40 would also fit if you look at the clearance. I may get one of the low mounts and try it. I do like my scopes to be as close to the barrel as possible without actually touching the barrel.

Ralph

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Yeah if you look at the picture of mine above those are rifleman low rings on a to-9 rail...with a .920 barrel...I have a 40mm scope that will not clear the bull barrel in those rings...

The rings I have on it now are on the same rail...but are the Weaver Low which lowered the scope another .07" from where it is in the picture...even tho if you look at the "specs" on bothy the rifleman and weaver low rings at midway you would think the difference would only be half that...there is a large gap between the rail and the base of Leupold rings that is not there with the Weavers and that accounts for the difference...

What I have now would barely, barely clear a 33mm with no room for lens cap...quite low...the rifleman rings in the picture will clear a 33mm with lens caps...

However, as handy as Weaver the tip off rail has been for experimenting and with the new rings definitely quite low...it is not solid enough imo...

At this time I plan to modify the rifleman rings to mount directly to the receiver and think I can get that scope bottom to clear the receiver by only .05" or less...that is mighty low... :D

Additionally I think I will try to "lap" the mounts for gross windage and some additional elevation while I am at it...

Not sure how it will work and in the end might still want the DNZ...

lithgow 303 has a thread in the projects section called mare's legs...he has a picture of my size scope with the same rail and rings I have now...I saw his and could see his was a lot lower than mine so I got some...

Timing was good...caught them on sale at midway for half price...sale is over now... :D

My reason for wanting lowest possible goes beyond general principles and more to do with the custom cheek weld I am making for my Fajen stock...right now I have it so with my head and neck about as straight up as one could ask for the cheek is fully supported and with no cant on the rifle whatsoever...with the heel "pocket" square in the shoulder as it should be...

The only reason I want to get lower still is to have the eye level of my scope same as my iron sight without having to make the front post any higher than I have it now...

The picture above does not show that stock or the iron sights...

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
They do make it in a 30mm: MSRP is almost double what I paid. Not sure what it would cost through normal gun shop discount . . .

Ruger 10-22-30MM scope tube-High Mount-Silver
Model: 11088S
Shipping Weight: 0.25lbs
6 Units in Stock
Manufactured by: Certified Machining, Inc
Thank you for the info. I saw the high mount. I was hoping for a low, matte black 30mm. I know, I know. Beggars can't be choosers... I can dream though! :)

·
Registered
549 Posts
that's a nice looking setup, I'm hoping to get something like that.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
after reading through all these posts i'm rethinking my original plan and perhaps get a good lower powered scope for the 10/22..

my problem now is we have wierd laws here when it comes to importing gun accessories and scopes are sometimes banned if sent thru air courier but ok if brought it by an incoming airline passenger..

the "sometimes' is the wierd part...

i'm not too keen now on blowing $100 or more on a nice scope if i'm not sure i can get it so i have to look for a friend or relative coming back here soon before i get one from the US...

i can also get some locally available ones but the choices on those are kinda limited and normally cost 50-100% higher than if ordered directly..

we'll see how this goes when my gun is finally with me..

·
Registered
503 Posts
Could also look at a

Nikon P-22 2x-7x x 32mm, comes either BDC150 or Nikoplex reticle. Video on Cabelas website giving an overview of the scope.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts