Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three Ruger rimfires I want to put scopes on, all for target shooting:

1. Ruger 10/22 22" barrel. Will shoot at 50 and 100 yards.
2. Ruger American Rimfire 22lr 18" barrel. Will shoot at 50 yards mostly.
3. Ruger American Rimfire 22wmr 22" barrel. Will shoot 100 yards mostly.

I would like adjustable objective scopes so I can dial out parallax at whatever distance I'm shooting. I've looked at Hawke scopes and the Leupold VX-Freedom EFR as well. Curious if there are other good options and what magnification would work well. If anyone has experiences with any of these scopes, I'd like to hear about them as well.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,083 Posts
Take a look at the article I posted in the Forum E-Library titled "Scope Dope". It should help you select scopes for your 22's. Here's a link: Scope Dope

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have both #1 and #2, both have Bushnell Banners right now, the 10/22 has a 3-9, the bolt has a 4-12. But, I hadn't to move the 10/22 to a lower magnification as I use it on closer ranged game.

I am looking at getting a 22 Hornet or 204 Ruger. If I get the Hornet then it will get the 3-9, if I get the 204 then I will get something else and "have" to buy either the WMR or HMR and give that the 3-9.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Emperor
885 Posts
I have three scopes with adjustable objectives mounted on different 10/22 rifles.

The best of the three is probably the Nikon Prostaff P3 Target 3-9x40 EFR. I also have two Hawke Optics Vantage scopes, one a fixed magnification 4x32 AO mil-dot and the other a 3-9x40 AO mil-dot.

The adjustable objective works well on all of them. The optical clarity is I think a little better on the Nikon, but the Hawke Vantage scopes are very close.

For target shooting at a stationary target from a fixed position the field of view is not terribly relevant and many shooters seem to favor a lot of magnification. But with increased magnification comes a narrower exit pupil for any given objective lens diameter, and often means a bigger, heavier scope mounted higher above the bore, and less light-gathering ability.

Personally, I find the 4X fixed power scope to be just a little limiting for precision shooting at even 25 meters and prefer a 3-9 or at least a 2-7 variable magnification scope for the ranges at which you will be shooting. I know that a lot of shooters would prefer 12X or greater for shooting at 100 yards although given the ballistic limitations of 22 LR ammo, I don't think a scope with a maximum magnification of 9 or 10X will be too limiting.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I had originally been looking at the Nikon scopes as well, but since they exited the scope business, they aren't around anymore to purchase (Plus, they have no replacement warranty anymore either). I'm glad to hear the Hawke scopes are good performers. For the price, I was concerned, but it seems they do just fine. Maybe I'll reserve a Leupold for my CZ rimfires and let the Rugers have the lesser expensive optics since they seem to do just fine. I'll have to think about magnification. I was thinking at least a 2-7 for 50 yards, probably a 3-9 for 100. I would think no larger than a x40 size since I don't want to end up mounting it high on the rifle (Something I had not fully considered before).

·
Registered
19 Posts
I found myself with an extra SWFA SS 10x fixed power scope with the side focus. I put it on my modified 10-22 and found it to be a great pairing. They are $399 unless there is a sale. Lifetime warranty. I picked the mil-quad reticle. Perfect from 25yds to 100yds.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
492 Posts
Target only rifle...I go with high magnification. Have a 20x SWFA on my 10/22 target rifle. Have a Vortex Golden Eagle on my .223 target rifle (60x max). If I shot the .22 more I'd go even higher in magnification. Makes target shooting a real hoot. Can really dial in the rifle. I wasted a lot of time an money following the "you don't need a high power scope...blah blah blah". I want to stack shots. If you want to get the most accuracy out of a TARGET rifle, over, over, and over again, from experience, higher power = better. All depends on what you consider "acceptable" accuracy. Not knocking the folks who believe in the low power scopes.....I'm talking about REALLY dialing in your rifle. YMMV, of course. Just my 2 cents. (y):)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My only concern with a higher power scope is that the objective will be so big that I will have to mount the scope high above the gun to get proper clearance.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Ethan, I hear ya and thought the same. I've not found it to be an issue. Have to do the homework though on what rings work with what scope on your rifle. It's a process....but I'll say, well worth it. Pls share what direction you decide to go. Always interesting stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts