Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to put either a scope or red dot type system on my 6" GP100 (old eyes, standard sites and long distances don't mix in my case). A search of the net came up with two options - Weigand and B-Square. The B-Square is advertised as "no gunsmithing required" while the Weigand requires two screw holes to be drilled and tapped. Do any of you have experience with either of these mount systems? If so, what has been your experience?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I have not used the b-square no gunsmith mount but have seen others use it and generally bad-mouth it as a pain and not rock solid. Lot of folks i knew shooting steel went ahead and drilled and tapped for a more secure mount.

Millett also makes a base.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a B-square for my gp161 and for three years now no problems. It is screwed on using the front and rear sight screw positions. I think its just for the 6' guns. I have a millett multi dot red dot scope. You do have to remove your front and rear factory sights and maybe that is the pita to some guys. Makes the gun a bit heavy but is it ever accurate. Got everything from midway.
Eric

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply guy's. Skyline, I'm having difficulty visualizing exactly how the b-square attaches to the gun. My gp161 has the adjustable rear which is held to the frame by a pin across the top strap and then two little springs underneath that apply pressure to the bottom side of the site with a screw through the site itself for elevation adjustment. If I take the rear site off, what exactly does the b-square screw into? On the front, the site fits in a notch and is held in place by a pin. Again, what would the b-square screw into? Thanks again..

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,407 Posts
The B-Square is not a very good mount. When you remove the rear sight, the mount uses the screw hole for the elevation screw. For the front, you remove the sight plunger and replace it with the B-Square threaded plunger. It has a very small screw that threads into in a very small plunger. The only good part is you don't have to modify the gun.

Drilling and tapping the top strap is by far the most secure method (3 holes, including the rear sight elevation screw hole). It won't affect the strength of the gun but will lower it's collector value. On a GP-100, I wouldn't worry about collector value much unless you have one of the scarce models.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I have the B-Square mount, and it seems VERY solid. I shoot HOT loads for hunting and have never had it loose zero with my Bushnell trophy red dot. Plus, when hunting season is over, I can take the mount off in about 5 minutes and switch back to the origanal iron sites for easier cary...

Iowegan's right though, a drill and tap job will make the mount more secure, but with hand gun hunting with a .357 you really don't want to take it much over 50 yards any way, and the little bit of flex you MIGHT get with the B-Square mount won't take you out of the "clean kill area" of white tail sized critters.

By the way, when I shoot from a rest, and do my part, my GP100 is capable of 2" groups at 50 yards. Plenty good for deer!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a Weigand mount on my 6"GP. It has been great. The B-Sq may work great but i like the security of knowing the mount is mounted solidly. I have had a HaloSite mounted to it for about 3 yrs, and it has held securly using full load 357s. No site adjustments.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts