Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered Ruger ar 556. What kind of mount will I need to use a 3x9 bushnell 1" scope? Looks like High mounts won't be enough to get above front sight! Is there some sort of spacer I should buy? Where to get them? Thanks so much. So much to learn about AR 15 rifle!!

·
Righteous Dude
21,693 Posts
I would buy some Nikon P-Series mounts or a Burris PEPR mount and call it good. Amazon has these and plenty of other AR scope mount choices.

·
Banned
84 Posts
pepr

Save yourself a lot of headache and buy a Burris PEPR scope mount. I fought eye relief and scope height for quite a while and then bought a Burris mount. After that no more problems.

Regarding the front sight post: At #3 magnification the front sight will probably not be much more than a blur. At #4 and above the front sight post should "disappear".

BK

·
Registered
67 Posts
Save yourself a lot of headache and buy a Burris PEPR scope mount. I fought eye relief and scope height for quite a while and then bought a Burris mount. After that no more problems.

Regarding the front sight post: At #3 magnification the front sight will probably not be much more than a blur. At #4 and above the front sight post should "disappear".

BK
Does the Burris PERR clear the rear flip down sight on the AR556 or is it a tight fit?

·
Banned
84 Posts
Does the Burris PERR clear the rear flip down sight on the AR556 or is it a tight fit?
Not sure about the mount clearing the existing rear sight. May have to remove the rear sight to "install" the scope mount and scope properly.

I've been able to keep the rear sight in place when using a red-dot but usually remove it if using a scope.

BK

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
It ultimately depends upon what optic you're using - not all scopes have the same diameter of eyebox - but the PEPR is a pretty high mount. There aren't a lot of scopes larger than the Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50mm pictured below, and you can see that there's plenty of space below the eyebox. BUT... Also note, there's not a lot of room on the rail behind the base either. I had plenty of room to move it forward on the rail without moving the optic forward (moving the rings forward on the optic too), but I wanted to anchor the optic against the base, since this one will have a lot of shots ran under it.

For extra elevation on any pic rail, you can add risers:

Search at Midwayusa.com for Picatinny Riser:
Midwayusa Search Results for Picatinny Riser

One piece styles are better than two piece:

But two piece models work well too. Just be sure to seat the risers properly into the rails and the bases properly into the risers.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
When I bought my son's S&W M&P Sport AR15 the typical AR15 front sight his gun is the flat top with the fold up rear sight. I bought a set of high rings and mounts from UTG that cost me if I remember correctly under $20.00 I they worked just fine for me with a Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 scope, unfortunately the dork of a son after I had everything ready to go and bore sighted took off the scope! Had I know this in the first place I wouldn't have got him the scope, rings and mounts!!! Yes there is much to learn about a AR rifle but fortunately I don't have to because my Mini 14 Ranch Rifle does things just fine for me!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
BKMeyers, Varminterror, gqucool

Lots of very good info here. Thank you very much! Especially Varminterror for the pictures and links.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,061 Posts
I am with the majority, Burris PEPR, 1". I have one on one of my rifles with a nikon buckmaster 4x14x40 bdc and top monolithic free float rail, the butler creek flip caps, clears without issue front and rear, plenty of room. I personally like the quick release version, but both are great. If you go the standard ring mount, I recommend the weaver 1" 6 hole tactical rings, high or extra high, with 1/2" yankee hill risers, either the 2 piece setup 3 slots each or single mount depending on if you have a railed forearm (same height) or not.;)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Burris PEPR is good bang for your $$. I had the screw down mount version and I ended up selling it and picking up the QD one, just 'cause some days I like shooting irons.

Another great mount is the ADM Recon. I've got a couple of those and they're built like a tank. The only sucky thing I don't like about the ADM is the lack of minute torque adjustment. One one rifle's rail it's perfect, on another is either way too tight or too easy to close the lever. The PEPR screws has finer adjustments.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts