Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my BLR it came with a Leupold scope on it. After scouting for deer season I have come to the conclusion that I won't have a shot past 50 yards. I decided to take the scope and scope mounts off. I screwed the screws by themselves back into their holes in the receiver. I went to rack the lever and it wouldn't move. I unscrewed the mounting screws halfway and everything moved just fine. I looked and the holes for the screws go all the way through the receiver and into the chamber.

I can't go out in the field with half loose screws on top of my rifle, but I don't want the scope mounts on there either. Any suggestions as to what I do here?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Anyone? I guess I could just put the scope mounts back on without the scope if there are no other options...
Confirm the thread and diameter, and order a proper set of blanks from Midway or Brownell's etc. Leave them empty until you locate a set, as you risk damaging the moving parts otherwise.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
This might sound really stupid, but what if you filed off just a small amount of each screw (the bottom of them, obviously) so they are flush, on top of the gun and not protruding into the internals then put some blue thread locker on them and screwed them back in? Run a patch or a cat tail (that's what I call them, not sure of the right name, but they're the fuzzy things like the wire brushes that go in the bore of your gun) through the bore several times to make sure none of the thread locker sticks in there. Let it cure and they shouldn't back out. Just to be sure, you could put a little bit of clear fingernail polish on the screws and let it seep into the edges.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
This might sound really stupid, but what if you filed off just a small amount of each screw
Not stupid if you don't need them later.

It's really not a problem short term to leave them open, and most LGS operations will have a box full of the blanks screws from mounting scopes for customers.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Browning ships the BLRs with 'screws' in the scope base mounting holes. However, they're really just 'blanks;' not long enough to secure the scope mounts/bases to the receiver. So, the bases come with screws, you take out the factory screws, put them in the bag, and use the longer screws that came with the bases. If you ever want to remove the telescopic sight system, you put the factory screws back in. ...unless you bought the gun second-hand, in which case you probably don't have those factory screws any more.

Brownells should have what you need, and they _may_ even know exactly what you need if you just call and talk with them. Or, you may have to measure pitch and guesstimate length. Other options are to call Browning, or MidWest Gun Works. They'll both probably have the screws you need in stock, and they'll probably be very inexpensive. Browning's parts catalog and price list is on their website.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
+1

The filler screws in the scope mounting holes that come with the rifle are not the same as the screws that come with the mount. Either order some filler screws or go without screws in those holes. A visit to your LGS or a gunsmith and a polite request for some filler screws will often get you some, by the way. They often have spares.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
They often have spares.
I worked in a shop on and off for several years, cleaning guns, tuning bows, and getting free ammo and range time.

We had a box of screw blanks that held at least a gallon of every size ever made. I can't remember we ever charged a dime for a set.

·
Ed Mann
411 Posts
I decided to take the scope and scope mounts off. I screwed the screws by themselves back into their holes in the receiver. I went to rack the lever and it wouldn't move. I unscrewed the mounting screws halfway and everything moved just fine. I looked and the holes for the screws go all the way through the receiver and into the chamber.
If your holes go into the action, that's normal. Into the chamber? Probably not.

Your LGS may have 6-48 filler screws they'll give you, left over from mounting scopes. For not-blind holes, get the type with a flanged head.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the correction, ACTION, not chamber. I will have to stop by a gun store when I get a chance. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
You can shoot without them if need be but it will drive you crazy imagining boulders falling into the holes. :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts