Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built a custom 10/22 with a stripped Ruger 10/22 receiver using a Ruger bolt, KSA 20" bull barrel, Ruger standard scope mount, BX trigger, Magpul X-22 stock, and a Nikon P Series Rimfire Tactical MKS-MOA scope. Gun drove tacks <1" group at 100yds, I could dial out the scope to 200 yards easy with elevation to spare and used it for Silhouette Competition.

Cut to the chase the gun constantly jammed loading the first round and bolt would stick, destroyed alot of Wolf and Eley ammo in competition. Called Ruger, sent in the receiver, bolt, and standard trigger. Ruger called me back said they were going to replace the receiver which they said was defective.

So I got the new receiver and reassembled my gun, after mounting the scope and resetting it to optical zero, I max out the elevation at 50 yards and still 12 inches under the bullseye. I mounted and remount the the scope and my elevation is maxed out and low at 50 yard still. I could dial out to 200 no problems and had no shims, no 10/20 MOA rail, it was mounted flat on the standard Ruger rail that came with the rifle and standard Vortex Weaver type low scope rings.

Other than replacing the receiver I don't know what radically changed on the gun other than the receiver. After having plenty turret elevation out to 200 yards and now not even able to make 50 yards. I really do not want to use shims or MOA rail and not being able to shoot < 50 yards. Scope mounted naturally with low rings and standard base easily went from 25-200 just by dialing it in.

I don't know what to do at this point, I tried putting a Vortex scope to see and no luck still well below the bullseye at 50 yards with the turret maxed out. That scope dialed out to 200 easy on my Remington 541 no problems. So did the Nikon on my 541. I have 468 clicks total elevation top to bottom in the Nikon and 368 top to bottom in the Vortex. I have optically zeroed and remounted the scope several times. I have tore apart the gun several times reinstalled the barrel, played with the torque on the takedown screw, tried a pressure pad under the barrel, I can't get no elevation back.

I am kinda stuck and can't shoot any Silhouette matches with it as I can't even get to 50. Any ideas are greatly appeciated.

·
Registered
584 Posts
You say you took the gun apart and reinstalled the barrel was the barrel a snug fit or a loose fit compared to the barrel fit in the old receiver? Also did you torque the barrel block and screws properly when you put the barrel in the new receiver? Sounds like barrel droop could be the problem.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Barrel droop certainly could be the issue. Due to maching tolerances in the receiver and barrel tenon, the barrel can point slightly downwards. The usual solution is a Gunsmither Barrel Block, which allows the muzzle to mount in a more elevated position.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tell this to Ruger they must have had sloppy machining tolerances
I did inquire back to Ruger after I received the new receiver and reassembled my firearm. They no longer respond.

I bought the Gunsmith block and waiting to test fire.
I had to order some more blue guntite and some Permatex anti-seize to assemble the rifle.

I hope to try that out this evening. I believe it now 'droops' the other receiver it was definitely tighter.

I talked to other people who used the adjustable vblocks and they said it cause severe accuracy problems. Not sure if the Gunsmith block is going to be any different. I got <1" group at 100yds and one hole shots at 50yds with CCI StdV and Wolf Match Target ammo.

I should know shortly otherwise it looks like I will be getting the Burris rings which I want to avoid.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did inquire back to Ruger after I received the new receiver and reassembled my firearm. They no longer respond.

I bought the Gunsmith block and waiting to test fire.
I had to order some more blue guntite and some Permatex anti-seize to assemble the rifle.

I hope to try that out this evening. I believe it now 'droops' the other receiver it was definitely tighter.

I talked to other people who used the adjustable vblocks and they said it cause severe accuracy problems. Not sure if the Gunsmith block is going to be any different. I got <1" group at 100yds and one hole shots at 50yds with CCI StdV and Wolf Match Target ammo.

I should know shortly otherwise it looks like I will be getting the Burris rings which I want to avoid.

As for Ruger and tolerances the Ruger bolt looked like it was cut with a hacksaw and file and the machining on it was rough which led me to believe the bolt was the problem. I went back to the dealer I bought it from and he pulled apart two other 10/22s of different models and the bolts were no better. The other 10/22 I bought the bolt machining is perfectly smooth. I complained to Ruger about this, and it looks like they machined off the roughness on the bolt when they returned the parts. But my 2010 era 10/22s are a far cry in quality from 1970 and 1980 era 10/22s I seen. The wood stock is very rough and not finished in tight corners, and plastic replaced the trigger guard and barrel band. None the less I delevoped an affinity for 10/22s, and will always have them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No joy, after installing the Gunsmith block I only got back about 5 MOA and max out elevation. I need at least 72 clicks to dial out to 200 but only have 32 before I hit max. I am in disbelieve that from one receiver to another the sharp drop in elevations. The old receiver I could dial out 25-200 and still have plenty of top and bottom clicks left.

The other people I talked to that installed the Burris rings say they get 200 fine but not able to dial to 25 they have to estimate where to shoot low for 25. That won't work for me.

I am going to try and reach KSA again the barrel maker and see if they can help, I think they are going to tell me to get the Burris rings.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Just a thought might help might not. I would put a pressure pad under the barrel as far out towards the end of the stock as possible and tighten the take down screw as much as the torque spec will allow and see if that helps any. Be worth a try.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I spoke to KSA about the barrel situation, they are going to have someone who is an expert in this exact problem get back to me. Sounds promising.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a thought might help might not. I would put a pressure pad under the barrel as far out towards the end of the stock as possible and tighten the take down screw as much as the torque spec will allow and see if that helps any. Be worth a try.
I did that already it gave me back a few MOA then when I did the other blockfixes it makes it worse. KSA is working with me on the problem, if they can't fix it no one can, KSA did say that Ruger make the barrel hole slightly different on newer models in order to accommodate more barrel maker selections.

I also sent a note to the man that does the Gunsmither block and see what he says.

·
Cat Herder
1,643 Posts
Could it be an issue with the rail install? If there is a burr of something between the rail and receiver that raises the front end of the rail it will cause elevation to be way too low.

I'm shocked that you saw sub MOA at 100 yards with a 10/22 with just a barrel swap. Did you not have feed issues when you zeroed it and measured groups? Your post sounds like the first issues you had showed up in competition.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could it be an issue with the rail install? If there is a burr of something between the rail and receiver that raises the front end of the rail it will cause elevation to be way too low.

I'm shocked that you saw sub MOA at 100 yards with a 10/22 with just a barrel swap. Did you not have feed issues when you zeroed it and measured groups? Your post sounds like the first issues you had showed up in competition.
The gun when I assembled it with the original bad receiver, the KSA barrel, and X-22 stock shot as good as my Remington 541-s at 100 yards using good premium ammo. Even with CCI SV I still got about an 1.5" group. It is still as accurate with the new receiver, just can't get any elevation.

It looks like the Burris rings are very near in the future. I guess I was lucky with the bad receiver for not drooping the barrel, but I wasted a ton of ammo from the jamming and not feeding. I hope with the Burris rings I can keep the 25-200 dial out and have a multi purpose match rifle.

KSA ask me to check and measure a few things and get back to them, but they said of Ruger machined the receiver that way not much they can do other an use a MOA rail or Burris rings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts