Ruger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I am new to the forum and just purchased my first 10/22 Takedown today. This is actually my first rifle. I primarily shoot pistols, even in IDPA, and needed a good rifle to get me into changing it up a bit.

Anyway,

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a scope? I would like to shoot 50-100 yards, so i am sure that would be a factor. Also, i will be using the rail system that came with it for now, but would like recommendations for better rails too. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats to you as well! My evil wife won't let me have it until Christmas, but at least i can start buying parts. I have heard nothing but good things about this rifle. Happy i got the last one the store had!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your 10/22 TD. I have been looking for a scope for my TD the last couple of months. I looked in all the local stores, the scope vendors at the gun shows, and online. I was looking for clarity, size, and weight. Even the cheap stuff has gotten expensive so I decided to put a few extra bucks with it and ordered a 2x7 Leupold yesterday. 10 to 12 years ago there was a good or maybe I should say better selection of rimfire scopes available without breaking the bank. I have been using Leupold for 45 years and its had to beat the product or their no BS customer service.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I put a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40mm silver scope, with a KIDD low silver rail, on my TD.

Leupold just like Ruger….. Made in America!

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
I also have to recommend Leupold scopes. I have a 2-7RF on my LVT and it works great.......

·
Registered
17 Posts
Congrats! I just got my first gun :D 10/22 TD and was wondering the same thing.

there is one Leupold scope i'm considering VX Hog. but didn't want to pull the trigger yet. I'm looking for something that would let me continue to use the bag the gun came with. the larger/longer scopes stick out too far forward.

would love pics of your scopes mounted on TDs!

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,798 Posts
I went a similar route and recently replaced a red dot with a Nikon P-22 2~7X rimfire ($179 at Cabela's) on my TD. This is an excellent quality scope and is parallax corrected for 50 yards. Of course it is not made in the USA but it is at least $50 cheaper than Leupold's version with no sacrifice in quality. It's a snug fit in the Ruger backpack and I don't think the Velcro holds but the zipper will close.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Turns out there is a gun show near here on the 23rd. I think ill have to go shopping! Would love to see some pictures of these scopes on the 10/22 TD.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Leupolds are not cheap, but then again they are first quality.

I initially had a Barska scope on another 10/22 build. It was cheap, and the optical quality was sub-optimal. I replaced it with a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9x40 BDC 150 scope, with good results. It isn't a Leupold, but it is certainly better than a Barska, and I was able to get it for around $130.

YMMV.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I recently purchased the 10/22 takedown and like you, was looking to put a scope on it.
I started to research rimfire scopes and narrowed it down to Simmons 22 mag with A.O.,
Then I looked at the BSA 22 sweet scope and really liked this too. Then I discovered The Nikon Prostaff 4x32 rimfire for 22 rifles. After reading the blogs, everyone gave this scope a 5 star rating. I purchased it and wow, I was impressed at the quality of this scope. This was perfect for the 10/22 takedown, it fits in the carry case as well. After checking the prices for this scope, The Sports Authority had it for $94.99. If you decide to purchase this scope you will not be disappointed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts