Ruger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

To start with I really have NO experience with long guns of any caliber and as you would guess, even less experience with scopes.

What would be a good recommendation for a scope to put on one of Rugers 10/22 rifles? I don't need anything fancy, not trying to become a sniper looking for a 1,000 yard kill (LOL). Just need something simple that is of good quality for target shooting.

Thank you for your time and recommendations.

· Banned
402 Posts
Get a scope made for a 22 LR it will be mostly parallax free for the ranges a 22 LR will shoot. if you don't know what parallax is do a search on it and find out.
and avoid the dancing cross hairs, and missed targets.
Or one with an adjustable objective lens or side focus so you can adjust for parallax.
Do yourself a favor and if you get sold on the 28 or 32 MM objective lens, look through one first, they are harder for some to see through than say a 40 mm objective lens.
A simple 4X made for a 22 scope will not set you back to much and is a very good entry level 22 scope.
Forget the Mill dot, 99 out of 100 people don't have a clue as to how to use them unless tarined to use them or take the time to learn.

· Registered
6,926 Posts
I've actually done okay with a Tasco 3-7 X 20 rimfire scope, about $15-18 at Wally World and other places. I've used it going on four years.

I did replace the cheesy Philips head screws with allen head cap screws from the hardware. Not a great scope, but has worked well for plinking. It stays within a click or two of right when it's removed and reinstalled.

My setup:

10/22 Sporter - Ruger Forum

· Premium Member
3,668 Posts
I just got a BSA 6-18X40 Sweet 22 with Side Parallax Adjustment and Multi-Grain Turret. I got it for Christmas so my wife wrapped it up to put under the tree. I looked at every brand and the only American made scopes are far too expensive for a .22. This looks to be the best I could do for the money, only $133.20 from Amazon.com.

· Registered
2,523 Posts
VX-1 Rimfire 2-7x28mm · Leupold

I have this one on mine...it is simple...of good quality...love it...

'Target'... what target... what distance... rhetorical question... one you need to ask yourself and then pick the scope that will work...

I have a 4-12x40mm scope I use on it too...it has Adjustable Objective with EFR...it also has Target Turrets...and 1/8 MOA... I very, very much prefer the 2-7 except for bench rest shooting attempting max precision and smallest groups on paper at 100 meters...which imo is the maximum usable range for the 10/22...at least for me...

· Registered
2,523 Posts
You can learn a ton of useful stuff from this guy...including mil dot scopes...

Highly recommend you watch his videos on scopes before buying anything...

ryan cleckner - YouTube

It seems extremely simple concept and it is truly simple to say...but the vast majority of people underestimate the value of the perfect cheek rest...

What he has to say tends to go in one ear and out the other...myself included...but once I decided to go all out using Cleckner's method I now won't have it any other way...if you do what he says and perfect it until you can lay your head down on the rest with eyes closed and then open your eye...if the you have to move even a little to get the correct eye level it is less than perfect...this has done more for me than the scope itself...I have had rifles for over 50 years...fortunately... I was never a scope person and they all were quite good from factory with factory iron sights...glad I found this video with some help from a forum member here...forget who...but thanks... :D

Set up Your Scope for Success - Rifle Shooting Technique - NSSF Shooting Sportscast - YouTube

· Registered
9,176 Posts
I just got a BSA 6-18X40 Sweet 22 with Side Parallax Adjustment and Multi-Grain Turret. I got it for Christmas so my wife wrapped it up to put under the tree. I looked at every brand and the only American made scopes are far too expensive for a .22. This looks to be the best I could do for the money, only $133.20 from Amazon.com.
I also just bought a BSA Sweet .22 w/adjustable objective and multi-grain turrets for my 10/22. Haven't used it yet but will soon. It looks like a great scope for a .22. It seems to have a good reputation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.