Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
as a point of info, I haven't bought a rifle scope in almost 40 years .... my knowledge of advancements in optics, illumination, reticles, handling parallax error, and everything else in general is badly out dated .... historically, I try to buy a good quality scope which I then use for decades .... my traditional brand of choice has been Nikon but that isn't iron clad .... I'm and considering the purchase of a Henry Big Boy Steel .44 Mag, model number H012 .... it will be used for paper punching and hopefully deer hunting with friends in a state where straight wall rifle cartridges are now allowed .... anticipated ranges of 100 yards or less .... my vision isn't what it once was, a variable power scope would probably be best .... recommendations with links would be appreciated

·
Registered
995 Posts
A low power variable would be a good choice. The straight tube of a 1-3x20 or 1-4x20 wouldn't overpower the small leverguns frame and would provide plenty of magnification for your purpose. All of the major manufacturers make a quality scope in that range. The best bang for your buck in my opinion is the Weaver V3 1-3x20. Great glass, and can be had for around $150.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Most hunting east of the Mississippi is done at 100 yards, and most shots by hunters are actually quite a bit shorter than that- more like 35-50 yards. The most popular scope size sold these days is the 3-9x40. Despite its popularity, as Iowegan notes in his article, a 2-7x scope is really usually the best size for hunting largish game (deer, black bears) at less than 100 yards.

2-7x scopes usually have objectives of about 30-33mm. On a lever rifle, such as your Henry, a 2-7x scope looks better and is a better weight and balance than are larger scopes.

Unless you shop at a store that carries a really large selection of rifle scopes, you may be frustrated if you want to see and handle a selection of 2-7x scopes. The stores tend to stock what sells best, and these days scopes the size of the Hubble telescope are in demand. People tend to buy scopes that are way bigger than they need.

All of the major optics makers do make excellent 2-7x scopes, however, and some of them, Leupold for example, offer them at more than one price point.

I concur about Iowegan's article. It contains a wealth of excellent information.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
This would be a little large on a 44 but Nikon discontinued the buckmaster line and they are on sale everywhere for $125.
Buckmasters scopes used to be positioned as Nikon's mid-level line, above Prostaff but below Monarch. Nikon discontinued the line due to poor sales and about 2 or 3 years ago you could get them at sharply discounted prices.

Nikon has now brought back the name, but it is now their economy line, below Prostaff. The new scopes are not the same as the old Buckmasters scopes. Confusing, if you ask me.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
recommendations appreciated .... I have a great deal of research to do and info like this gives me a starting place

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a Henry .44 lever gun.
I use a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9X40mm scope.
The scope does not "over power" as far as size or mounting with the Henry mount.
This scope was purchased in 2013 along with three others, as they were on sale at Cabellas for $129.99.
I have used and enjoyed Nikon optics since the 1970's.
The previous post stating that Nikon Buckmaster is now a value line was news to me.
I had not heard this before, and may be the case.
A friend purchased and used a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9X40 on a 7mm bolt action rifle a couple of months ago.
He has gotten back to me that the scope works well,
Nikon's "spot on" technology makes it a no brainer with bullet drop and distance shooting.
Nikon has done all the math for us.
Good luck with your scope purchase.
Scopes make shooting with old eyes easier!

·
Banned
650 Posts
To be frank I am not impressed by the Nikon prostaff at all. You will be just as happy with any $50 or $60 scope. The glass is no better, you have plastic adjustment knobs with no marking. That is not a $120 + scope in my opinion. With a Simmons master series or a Weaver Kaspa you get a far better scope. If neither of those scopes please you buy a Leupold and be done with it. Leupold has a cheap line of scopes but be careful. Some scopes have 1/2 moa adjustments and other little things you may not like. The Sportsmans Guide has most of the cheap Leupold scopes. You can see them all at once and make an informed decision.

Fixed power scopes, even the cheap scopes are virtually parallax free. You usually get a lot more scope for your money. There is very little to break and they are more durable. If you cannot see a game animal with 4x you cannot shoot him anyway. Even with a variable power scope I never turn the magnification past 5. A cheap pair of binoculars is better than the best scope for searching for game.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a Henry .44 lever gun.
I use a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9X40mm scope.
The scope does not "over power" as far as size or mounting with the Henry mount.
This scope was purchased in 2013 along with three others, as they were on sale at Cabellas for $129.99.
I have used and enjoyed Nikon optics since the 1970's.
The previous post stating that Nikon Buckmaster is now a value line was news to me.
I had not heard this before, and may be the case.
A friend purchased and used a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9X40 on a 7mm bolt action rifle a couple of months ago.
He has gotten back to me that the scope works well,
Nikon's "spot on" technology makes it a no brainer with bullet drop and distance shooting.
Nikon has done all the math for us.
Good luck with your scope purchase.
Scopes make shooting with old eyes easier!
thanks for taking the time to post your personal experience .... in the opening post I mentioned Nikons purchase almost 40 years ago .... 6 are 3-9X40's, three mounted on 308's, another 3 on 30-06's .... all continue to deliver good service .... I've never hear of Nikon's "spot on" technology, I'm going to have to look into it .... do you know if they are still factory set for 100 yards ??

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
...The most popular scope size sold these days is the 3-9x40... ...People tend to buy scopes that are way bigger than they need...
I think the 3x9 scope is the most popular due to the marketing: pre-determined rifle/scope packages, deep discounts, and massive availability from the manufacturers.

I do agree people tend to buy larger and higher power scopes than are truely useful for their rifles' purposes. More magnification means smaller field of view. If you intend keeping your shots within the 100-125 yd range, a top magnification of 4 or 5 seems the most useful.

When I purchased my compact 7mm-08 bolt gun over 25 years ago, a Leupold Compact 2x7 scope was my choice for it, and I've never regretted it.

For a .44 Mag levergun, a quality (= $200+ cost) 1.5x4 or 1.5x5 scope is what I would get. I have a Marlin 1894 .44 Mag, but currently choose to use a Williams Foolproof aperature (peep) site on it. The midrange Nikons and others look nice, but I tend toward Leupold optics.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I think the 3x9 scope is the most popular due to the marketing: pre-determined rifle/scope packages, deep discounts, and massive availability from the manufacturers.

I do agree people tend to buy larger and higher power scopes than are truely useful for their rifles' purposes. More magnification means smaller field of view. If you intend keeping your shots within the 100-125 yd range, a top magnification of 4 or 5 seems the most useful.

When I purchased my compact 7mm-08 bolt gun over 25 years ago, a Leupold Compact 2x7 scope was my choice for it, and I've never regretted it.

For a .44 Mag levergun, a quality (= $200+ cost) 1.5x4 or 1.5x5 scope is what I would get. I have a Marlin 1894 .44 Mag, but currently choose to use a Williams Foolproof aperature (peep) site on it. The midrange Nikons and others look nice, but I tend toward Leupold optics.
As a 44 Mag is certainly not a long range rifle, I agree something in 3-9X40mm is the most useful choice.

If you can find one of the wide view low power scopes you would have the perfect scope for a short range brush gun. I have both a Redfield 1.75-5X Wideview and a Bushnell 3-9X40mm Wideview. I bought the Bushnell in an on line sale (not an auction) in another forum for $50. The Redfield is the second of those I have found. The first one came mounted to a Winchester Model 100 in 243 Win. This one came in pieces in a box for free.

Here is the Redfield 1.75-5X mounted to a Winchester 9422 Mag. You can see why it is called a wideview. The design gives the ability to mount it lower to the barrel, with extended side to side field of view.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,044 Posts
OldCrow, I have to laugh when I read your posts. Have you ever seen a Nikon scope? Do you have any idea what parallax is? Yes, it is present in ALL scopes with a magnification over 1X. Most of the rest of the comments in your post are way off center too.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As a 44 Mag is certainly not a long range rifle, I agree something in 3-9X40mm is the most useful choice.

If you can find one of the wide view low power scopes you would have the perfect scope for a short range brush gun. I have both a Redfield 1.75-5X Wideview and a Bushnell 3-9X40mm Wideview. I bought the Bushnell in an on line sale (not an auction) in another forum for $50. The Redfield is the second of those I have found. The first one came mounted to a Winchester Model 100 in 243 Win. This one came in pieces in a box for free.

Here is the Redfield 1.75-5X mounted to a Winchester 9422 Mag. You can see why it is a wideview. The design gives the ability to mount it lower to the barrel, with extended side to side field of view.

most interesting comments and pictures .... I have no experience with Bushnell or Redfield scopes .... will most certainly take a look at them .... thanks for the suggestions

·
Registered
746 Posts
suggestion appreciated .... having never heard of Vortex Optics, I wouldn't have even considered any of their products
Just throwing out another option to consider.

they have some really good scopes, some that are very affordable.
and some that are really expesive.
I recently purchased their Diamondback HP in 4-16x44 for my .308
picture is really clear
I was considering either Vortex, Nikon, or Burris, and found a deal on the Vortex so I went with that.
I don't think you can go wrong with either of those brands
a lot of options out there.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just throwing out another option to consider.
they have some really good scopes, some that are very affordable.
thanks Stan ....

one day into the search process and I'm already on overload .... fortunately, I have a while to make a decision and these along with hopefully more recommendations will give me some reading to do

1 - 20 of 24 Posts