Ruger Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,523 Posts
Rimfire/Ultralight Riflescopes · Leupold

Are you going to have a flash light to illuminate your target at night...???

I can't see anything at night through scope or ghost ring unless it has light on it...then I can see perfect thru any of mine...

I have the vx-1 2-7x28 Leupold rimfire...love the fine reticule...parallax free at 60 yards but I have no problems seeing fine at 2x at 10' in poor light...yes under those conditions there is a small amount of fuzziness of the target but no problem putting the fine cross hairs dead-on target...

In daylight I practice shooting shotgun shells walking/off hand at 10' and out...reason is I walk in rattle snake infested areas and like to know I have no problem shooting one in the head at close range...

I really like that scope a lot... :D

I also have a 4-12x40mm AO/EFR/TT that is nice to have at times but I prefer to have the 2-7 with no AO and leave it on 2x until I need more...much nicer for shooting a small target at 50' or less...at 100' I like 4x...and only go to 7x for more than 150'...at 300' I definitely like the 12xAO a lot better...but it weighs twice as much...13" long...

30' at night with a light on the target I'll take the 2-7x28 with fine reticule for sure...

The A0 is likely to put you into a longer/heavier scope with probably at least 32mm obj. and the length is probably slightly more than your max allowed...

If I was not going to shoot past 100' I would get a 1-4x28mm...they actually have some magnification...

If money and weight was no concern to me...only length and features and how low I could mount it...I would get the Leupold VX-2 3-9x33mm AO/EFR rimfire (fine reticule)...

There are less expensive ones that are similar like the Weaver equivalent RV-9 but it doesn't have fine reticule, doesn't come with lens caps, is NOT made in USA...Leupold does and is...

IMO...the only reason to have anything more than 9x magnification is for hitting the smallest targets and more than 100'...

A red dot might serve you well for that gun/application...lighter, smaller...

Also...my gun does not fit in the bag I carry it in with anything but low profile irons...no scope or red dot...

I see you opted for the Ace in the hole...good option...if you get a small scope or red dot and mount it with Weaver low rings it will not only have a low profile but go on/off very easily using a coin for a screw driver...it will be zeroed just fine...especially at close range...that will be more dependent on the quality of the scope than the on/off repeatability with that brand/style low rings...the higher the rings and bigger the scope the more likely it is to not be zeroed after on/off...I just wrap my scope(s) and/or red dot in bubble wrap and stick them in my ammo bag...no problem...so if you want a scope that doesn't fit in your bag I suggest you get the scope you want and mount it with easy on/off but good quality and lowest possible profile...

· Registered
2,523 Posts
This is the VX-1 2-7x28mm scope mounted on the Weaver multi-slot tip off rail...very close to the rail you get with the ACE in the hole...with Weaver Low Rings...should give you a good idea of what that size scope will be like on your gun...note that with the cheek rest set correctly for that scope eye level you will not be able to use the peep sight on your ACE in the hole...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/QUOTE]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.