Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this ScopeNow I need to figure out what rings to use with my 10/22 takedown.

Burris Optics Fullfield II Riflescope 2-7x35mm - Ballistic Plex Reticle.

Using supplied rail that came with gun.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,370 Posts
Here's my 10/22 custom build with a 3~10X42 Nighteater scope using Weaver Quad Lock rings. That's a big and heavy scope but the rings hold it very securely.

A few issues with TDs that you may not be aware of …. one is "repeatability" which means when you remove the barrel then reinstall it, POI may shift an inch or so. That's because the scope is mounted on the receiver instead of the barrel and there is just a tad of movement in the barrel-to-receiver mount. The receiver is aluminum so it's easy to tighten the mounting screws too much and strip the threads in the receiver. So ….. don't apply excessive torque to the scope base screws!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's my 10/22 custom build with a 3~10X42 Nighteater scope using Weaver Quad Lock rings. That's a big and heavy scope but the rings hold it very securely.

A few issues with TDs that you may not be aware of …. one is "repeatability" which means when you remove the barrel then reinstall it, POI may shift an inch or so. That's because the scope is mounted on the receiver instead of the barrel and there is just a tad of movement in the barrel-to-receiver mount. The receiver is aluminum so it's easy to tighten the mounting screws too much and strip the threads in the receiver. So ….. don't apply excessive torque to the scope base screws!!!
Good point.will be careful mounting the scope to rail

·
16,370 Posts
OK but just be careful and use a tiny amount on the screw, not the holes, which are dilled all the way through the receiver. Loctite is very runny and will seep into your bolt and lock it up. I highly recommend removing the bolt when using Loctite then clean up any excess before reassembling.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK but just be careful and use a tiny amount on the screw, not the holes, which are dilled all the way through the receiver. Loctite is very runny and will seep into your bolt and lock it up. I highly recommend removing the bolt when using Loctite then clean up any excess before reassembling.
Should I replace the rail that came with the rifle?

·
16,370 Posts
Mikey95hd, The scope base that came with your TD is intended for Weaver brand or style rings. Assuming you use the rings I recommended, the base will work just fine.
If you decide to use Picatinny rings, you will need a Picatinny base. BTW Picatinny is a standard developed for the military that have a locking slot width of 0.206" and are spaced every 0.394" with a slot depth of 0.118". Weaver bases usually have only two cross slots which have a slot width of 0.180", so as you can see, Weaver cross screws will fit in a Picatinny base but Picatinny cross screws won't fit in a Weaver base.

The advantage of a Picatinny base (rail) is …. you have a lot more options for positioning your scope for the best eye relief. As it turned out for the 10/22 in the above photo, the factory base worked great with my scope. This doesn't always happen due to the distance between the turret and front/rear lens bell.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mikey95hd, The scope base that came with your TD is intended for Weaver brand or style rings. Assuming you use the rings I recommended, the base will work just fine.
If you decide to use Picatinny rings, you will need a Picatinny base. BTW Picatinny is a standard developed for the military that have a locking slot width of 0.206" and are spaced every 0.394" with a slot depth of 0.118". Weaver bases usually have only two cross slots which have a slot width of 0.180", so as you can see, Weaver cross screws will fit in a Picatinny base but Picatinny cross screws won't fit in a Weaver base.

The advantage of a Picatinny base (rail) is …. you have a lot more options for positioning your scope for the best eye relief. As it turned out for the 10/22 in the above photo, the factory base worked great with my scope. This doesn't always happen due to the distance between the turret and front/rear lens bell.
Thanks for the information, and that's a nice 10/22.

·
16,370 Posts
Mikey95hd, I think my 10/22 build is ugly a sin but it shoots some mighty small groups so that's my main concern. It's also very heavy …. over 10 lbs so it isn't something you want to romp around the woods with. At my age, I have to use a sling to transport it from my car to the shooting bench.

Here's my TD … it has an el cheapo Ruger 4X32 scope and rings with the factory scope base. Not the most accurate gun in the world but it serves its purpose. It will take out those mean killer attack soda cans at 50 yards with just one shot.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mikey95hd, I think my 10/22 build is ugly a sin but it shoots some mighty small groups so that's my main concern. It's also very heavy …. over 10 lbs so it isn't something you want to romp around the woods with. At my age, I have to use a sling to transport it from my car to the shooting bench.

Here's my TD … it has an el cheapo Ruger 4X32 scope and rings with the factory scope base. Not the most accurate gun in the world but it serves its purpose. It will take out those mean killer attack soda cans at 50 yards with just one shot.

Yeah those soda cans are killers...lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

So it sounds like zero with this rifles scope doesn't stay the same ?

·
16,370 Posts
Mikey95hd,
True, but it isn't the scope's fault nor the scope base's fault …. it's the barrel-to-receiver fit, which is typical for all TDs. My scope never gets off more than an inch at 50 yards when I remove and replace the barrel so I can deal with that. If the TD was a match grade rifle, that would be unacceptable. The scope I used was shipped with my 177 cal Ruger Airhawk pellet gun and was made to withstand the earthquake from the piston slamming home so it's plenty strong for a 22 rifle. The optics are typical for a cheap Chinese made scope …. not bad but nothing to write home about.

My other TD that I sold had a nifty cantilever base that I fabricated. I drilled and tapped the barrel with 3 ea 6x48 tpi holes in the barrel. This was a very sturdy mount and because the scope mounted on the barrel, it maintained a perfect zero when the barrel was removed and replaced. My friend still owns the TD & scope mount with a Nikon 2~7x Scope and uses it for rabbit and rodent control at his farm.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mikey95hd,
True, but it isn't the scope's fault nor the scope base's fault …. it's the barrel-to-receiver fit, which is typical for all TDs. My scope never gets off more than an inch at 50 yards when I remove and replace the barrel so I can deal with that. If the TD was a match grade rifle, that would be unacceptable. The scope I used was shipped with my 177 cal Ruger Airhawk pellet gun and was made to withstand the earthquake from the piston slamming home so it's plenty strong for a 22 rifle. The optics are typical for a cheap Chinese made scope …. not bad but nothing to write home about.

My other TD that I sold had a nifty cantilever base that I fabricated. I drilled and tapped the barrel with 3 ea 6x48 tpi holes in the barrel. This was a very sturdy mount and because the scope mounted on the barrel, it maintained a perfect zero when the barrel was removed and replaced. My friend still owns the TD & scope mount with a Nikon 2~7x Scope and uses it for rabbit and rodent control at his farm.
Is there anything that can be done with the scope on the receiver to make it more accurate?

·
16,370 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe I'll buy another Ruger 10/22 for this scope Burris Optics Fullfield II Riflescope 2-7x35mm - Ballistic Plex Reticle.

·
16,370 Posts
Mikey95hd, Your Burris scope is an excellent optical product but it is intended for high power rifles and as such, it is parallax corrected for 100 yards. Rimfire scopes are typically parallax adjusted at the factory for 50 yards, which is a much more practical shooting distance …. especially for a 10/22. Please take a few minutes and read an article I wrote for the Forum E-Library, titled "Scope Dope". It has a lot of information that I think will be valuable for you. Here's a link: https://rugerforum.net/e-library/61505-scope-dope.html

Burris doesn't make a 2~7X but Nikon does and they are excellent. I have a couple and will probably buy a few more very soon because Nikon is going out of the scope business in 3 weeks. Here's a link: https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/riflescopes/p-tactical-rimfire-2-7x32-bdc-150.html

1 - 20 of 42 Posts