Ruger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased one of the Cabelas anniversary model #1's in 300 H & H.
I was taken with the pretty wood, shiny blueing and classic caliber. I am pretty well set for hunting rifles and have decided that this will be my "pretty" rifle for hunting easy terrain.

I will be putting case colored Warne rings on the rifle and am considering getting a recessed swivel stud.

I think that only a gloss scope will look right with the shiny blueing.

Any thoughts and suggestions for scoping it will be appreciated.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.
Sounds like a "pretty" rifle. :D
I have a Leupold VX3L 3.5-10X50 CDS on mine.
Congratulations, post up a pic when you're done.

VX-3L 3.5-10x50mm CDS · Leupold

·
Registered
747 Posts
Yep, a 3.5X10 Leupold is a good choice.

Have one on a RUGER 300win mag Hawkeye, and had one on the #1 300 that my son now has.

Fine scope for a hunting rifle.

Personally, I wouldn't go with the 50mm objective. Just for the most part putting out money where it seldom is needed.

But then, that is just an Ol'Coot's opinion and I've only been hunting with a scope since the 60s.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
17,454 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

·
Registered
747 Posts
By the way Camdog,

That 300 H & H, the "super 30" ain't no slouch in the woods.

Being pretty and only for easy hunts reminds me of what my son said about a rifle I stocked with very fancy wood and after many hours, hate to take it hunting in case it might get dinged.

His comment, "I'll use it."

Meaning when I'm gone, he will use it.

You may as well use it, as a "safe Queen" makes very few good memories.

My first #1, a beautiful 7 mag., bought not to many years after the rifle was brought out was a joy to have with me on that first elk hunt, and a joy to remember these many years later. Wouldn't have happened if it had been in the rack at home!

That same rifle, a year or so later, took my first bull elk, a critter taken with a shot over the top of the tent. Now, had that rifle been at home that November morning, this would not be nearly such a good tale!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

1 - 6 of 6 Posts