Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Simons scope on it now but would like something I can see a little better through. Older eyes so I need to keep a scope on it. Maximum shooting distance for this one is probably going to be about 150 yards. Range toy only, no hunting. Looking to keep it in the $200+/- range.

·
Righteous Dude
21,612 Posts
I put a Vortex 1-4 30mm Crossfire on mine. Works great. Plenty of light. Lifetime warranty. I asked Ruger for 30mm rings (since the 77 came with 1 inch rings) and they nicely shipped me some for free.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Ditto on the older eyes..I have a 77/44 so similar rifle.. Tried fitting a couple of different scopes and discovered a few things along the way bolt clearance being one of them. You can lift the scope with different height rings or a wiegland bridge mount but I found I lost good cheek weld to the stock or eye relief was off if the scope was moved to clear the bolt handle.
Of all scopes I ended up with a Bushnell AR308 4.5 x 18 x 40 which works great for me ,sits low, good cheek weld ,eye relief is good and clears the bolt handle.
I had in my mind something exactly like neon horse suggested so honestly the scope I ended up with would of been my last choice when I started looking and was almost the last unopened box at the LGS when we were trying/fitting different scopes. The poor salesman should of got a medal for patience that day.. Goodluck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Have a Nikon Prostaff 3-9 on my .308 and I couldn't be happier, great for targets and powerful enough to reach out there for the occasional hunt.

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
I reload my own ammo and test for accuracy with a dozen different bullets and powders so I have a high power scope on mine so I can really zoom in and see the target as good as possible while the rifle is strapped into my caldwell lead sled. I used the extra high 1" ruger rings and a Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44 scope.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
11/2x5 or 1x4. Vortex is great and a leupold rifleman is in your price range or just over it. Nikon is also good.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Went to look at the Leopold VS Freedom 3-9-40 and couldn't get it to focus. Neither could the salesman. He only had one so I couldn't tell if it was just a defective one or if it was that bad. Vortex focused fine. I'll go someplace else and try the Leopold again. I really like that they are made in the USA.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I tried the Leopold again at Bass Pro and had the same results. Couldn't get it to focus clearly and neither could the salesman. I thought you should be able to adjust the eyepiece to bring things into focus but I guess not. Are these things pre set for someone with 20/20 eyesight?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I really like the 1-4x red dot Vortex scope. Best money in a scope. I got a 1.5-4x on my GSR and the first 15 min of legal hours I couldn't see the cross hair so will just back the Vortex. I cant justify paying almost 3 time for Leupold patrol dot scope.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Every Vorrtex I looked at was crisp and clear. I have a Crossfire ll on my 96/22 lever gun and really like it. I'm leaning towards another one of those and may pick one up this week.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ordered the Vortex Diamondback 4x12x40 last night. If it doesn't work out on the 77/357 I'll use it on something else. Every Vortex I looked at was crisp and clear which is what I was after.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts