Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I want to pick up a 10/22 and scope for my dad. He tried out a Bushnell Legend scope on another rifle and liked it. I think the 3x9x40 or 3x9x50 would make him happy.

Any problems mounting either of these scope on the 10/22? What height mounts would be required?

Thanks for any help....

·
Registered
557 Posts
The 3-9x40 will weight a lot less and cost less too.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! Lot's of nice folks here...you'll like it.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,349 Posts
I would recommend buying a "rimfire" scope. They are parallax corrected for 50 yards vs the normal high power rifle scopes at 100-150 yards. You will find the rimfire scopes much better suited to the closer distances that you will likely be shooting.

Both Tasco and Simmons make a nice 3-9X rimfire scope for well under $50. The "mediun" height 1" rings will work just fine.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I didn't know that-thanks Iowegan--glad to see you-come for coffee sometime---welcome chambliss-your Dad will really enjoy that 10/22-let us hear more from you!

·
16,349 Posts
white dog, Yes, the same scopes will work well on a Henery too. The Tasco comes with mounts for 22 grooved receivers. I have one on my CZ 22 target rifle and found it to be well worth the $$$.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I sure appreciate the info folks.

I stumbled into a good deal on a Bushnell Trophy 4x12 - 40mm. It focuses down to 10 yards and was recommended for pellet rifles so I've got my fingers crossed that my dad will like it.

One more question please. What are the best clips for the 10/22? I'd like to get some hi-cap clips before the government goes bonkers again with regulating clip sizes.

I'm not interesting in getting him any 100 round drums - I'm thinking something like 20, 30 maybe 50 rounds would be just fine. I'd rather give him an absolutely reliable 10 round than a 98 percent functional 20 round......

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
search ebay and gunbroker, always good deals on clips there. I like the anniversary edition 10/22 10 rd mags, they are clear and easy to tell how much ammo is in it.

·
16,349 Posts
chambliss, I'm pretty partial to the standard old Ruger 10 round mags. You can take them apart for cleaning and they are fully adjustable for spring tension. All you need is an Allem wrench.

Many of the after market high cap magazines are junk. Instead of metal "lips" like a Ruger, they have plastic. After a few rounds of rapid fire, the lips melt and there goes reliability.

Though I don't deny hi-caps are fun, they do hang out so far that bench shooting is not easy. Shy away from Ram Line (I call them Jam line) and Eagles with the plastic lips. The Butler Creek 25 rounders seem to work well. They are available in a clear or smoke color. I think they retail for about $36 each.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Butler Creek does make plastic and steel-lipped models---the 25-rd steel-lipped ones have been often reported reliable-the plastic and other brands no.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts