Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What scopes does everyone have on their 77/357? Time to spend some money on a new scope.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I see no point in scoping a rifle that sees farther than it shoots.

My 77/357 wears a Nikon 1.5X-4X, that sees well enough to keep things in 1.25-1.50 for five shots @ 100yds. I'm sure I could keep shots on a 1/2 size silhouette much farther, with a laptop to compute drop, and a laser rangefinder, but that's not what I bought it for.

My 77/44 is scoped with a Weaver 1X-3X. I like that even better. The FOV at 1X is so wide, I honestly think I could break clays with it on my 870. Even without cranking to 3X, it's easily a 125-150yd deer gun.

This class of scope is also lighter than the higher powered scopes, and balance better on the little carbines.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've posted this elsewhere, but I've got an UltraDot Pan-A-V on mine, very pleased with it. As Tman51 mentioned, I see this rifle as a 100 yard or less weapon, no point in shooting zombies out further than that right?

·
Banned
181 Posts
I had considered putting sights on my 77/357, but as TMan51 pointed out, as I don't plan on using this rifle out past 150yds max, and am not really concerned with clover leaf groups at 100yds, I instead opted for a Skinner aperture sight to replace the flip-up stock rear sight.

The scope I was looking at though I believe is the same one that mnh2obuff has, a Redfield 2x7x33 model 67085. Read a lot of good things about Redfield's revolution scope(s) now that Leupold has ressurected Redfield, well priced, American made and they have a lifetime warranty on the scope itself, no matter who owns or bought it.

I'll probably buy one someday.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I like the Skinner sight.

One thing I do find with Ruger rings is that you can mount and dismount scopes with little to no impact with the 77/357-44's, making a good open sight a real asset for a one gun hunt. My 77 MKII in .243 maintains POI with a 2X7X scope for deer, and a 4X12X scope for long range pests.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Leupold Rifleman 2-7x33mm. Just put it on this morning and am going to sight it in probably tomorrow.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Leupold HOG 1-4x. Sadly I haven't even had the chance to sight it in, but it looks really nice sitting there in the corner... seems you can either have no time and plenty of work with plenty of money or plenty of time no work and no money.:)

·
Registered
484 Posts
I had a TASCO 2X7 SHOTGUN SCOPE ON MY 77/44 which seemed to work out fine. I unfortunately traded it for a horse cart which I never even used and sold at a loss, duh!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts