Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a P944 .40Cal Blue Steel pistol that after returning from vacation, I noticed that the magazines had moved around in the carrying case during travel, and either one of the bullets or a part of the magazine left a scratch on my pistol. Any suggestions on how to get rid/cover up this scratch?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Your local fire arm's dealer should have a gun blueing touch up pen for scratches. It kind of looks like a sharpie, but it is full of blueing solution. After the touch up you go over the area with super fine steel wool to smooth and blend it with the original blue. I have used several times and you can't tell where the scratch was at after using it ! Hope that helps, it really pisses me off when I get scratches on them, especially when I didn't do it myself.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Yup, that's the right solution, HB-DLX.

Ruthless1, you'd better to wrap your gun in a plastic bag sprayed with a gun oil or WD40 inside before putting it in your carrying case. It will provide an extra cushion against possible surface damages as well as will keep the gun free of rust.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Scratches on blue is a fact of life. I think that it just adds character and flavor to most guns. Problem is with a new gun, the 1st scratch is generally the hardest to take and live down. Kind of like that 1st door ding on a brand new car. after a while, you accept it.
My experience with cold blue touch-ups have not been positive.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I use a Birchwood-Casey touchup pen on my guns.
Ruthless1 when you get a chance mosey over to the New Member Forum and introduce yourself, so we can bring out the welcome wagon right nicely for you.

·
Registered
302 Posts
IMHO scratches make it mine. I can't wait until the blue is all worn off my P89. It will mean it has served me well.

I know that didn't help.

tk

·
Registered
366 Posts
Well, here you go, this is how well the blue pen and the steel wool fixed the scratches on my P94. There were two good size scratches right over the word and three more to the left of the words. Can't see them now, up close ! The Pen is called: Birchwood/Casey, Presto Gun Blue Pen, instant touch up for steel. It does work very well ! I always keep some of that oiled cushion paper they shipped some of my guns in and wrap mine in it for transport or I buy a "gun sock" for them if they do not have a case yet. Hope the info helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I purchased a Birchwood-Casey touchup pen, and applied it to the scratches on my gun. The pen worked wonders. You can't see where the scratches were. Thanks HB-DLX and peace for the information about the pen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts