Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Dillon Square Deal B press. I just reloaded primers and now it's dropping a new primer on the floor every time I push the lever up. It's making bullets fine but dropping primers. Any ideas? I have gotten pretty good at catching them. :D

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I have two Dillion SDBs. I've had the occasional problem you are describing. Clean the top of the Primer Punch pin (SD 43) that pushes the primer into the primer pocket in the brass. Check and clean the plastic covered Slide Bearing (SD 91) and the Primer Return Spring(SD 35)to make sure it is not bent. The return spring maintains pressure to push the primer onto primer punch pin and held in place by the Primer Cup (SD 42). These parts will get dirty and primers coming out of the Primer Mag will not "load" onto the punch pin, fall off into into a depression and out onto the floor. The oriface (SD 30), plastic tip, of the primer mag can get worn and soft letting the primer get cock-eyed not sliding into primer cup and correctly into the primer pocket/hole. The Shell Plate (SD 24) can get cruddy underneath preventing sooth sliding over the primer cup causing the primer to not be st evenly. Be careful to not dislodge the little bearing underneath. They seem to roll and disappear easily. I keep a few extras since I am a firm believer in Murphy's Law. If you don't have an Instruction Manual, get on so you know what to look for in Dillons Catalog. (Murphy's Law)

I have replaced the plastic pieces in both my SDBs several times as I've loaded 15,000 to 20,000 rounds in each over the years. Dillion offers a kit or you can purchase individually for their online catalog.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Call Dillon.
That is the best advice you can give.
I have a SD "B" and I have called them at least 5 times in the last month.
They are more than happy to help and extremely knowledgeable.
I am just starting out in reloading and without them it would have been a rat's nest.
Great people.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I'll call Dillon tomorrow. Note: I've only loaded around 100 rounds with it. I replaced the red plastic cap at the bottom of the feed tube before this happened. I'm pretty sure that's when this started. The reason I replaced it was at Dillon's suggestion to cure intermittent problems where a round fed through with no primer. That problem hasn't happened since but dropping half my primers on the floor isn't making me happy, either. I've got more of those red plastic end caps just in case.

I'll let you know what happens.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I went to Dillon's website to get their phone number and while I was calling, I noticed their support link. I followed it and found the answer to my problem. Guess I'm not the only one that happened to.

I was thinking about it last night and actually came up with the answer myself. But it was good to be reassured by their website.

The problem was that I didn't have the primer holder tube pushed down far enough. Apparently this allowed enough space for another primer to drop through to the ground.

Live and learn.

I've got 131 rounds of reloaded .45 now and called it a day. I'm just doing a little at a time until I use up my brass and bullets. I think I'll run out of bullets first!

Also got in 500 rounds each of .40 and .380 brass from Midway. I still need to get the conversion kit for those calibers. I've got .45 and 9mm and I haven't started on my 9mm yet.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
The next time you get over to Dillon, (you lucky guy!) pick up the repair kit that RockDoc was talking about. It's not too expensive and it will be handy. Sooner or later you will need a part - two hours after they close on a Friday night. Even if they will replace a part free on Monday, loosing the entire weekend for a 85 cent piece is not fun. After I bought my "spare parts kit", I've not needed one part that was in there. :) (I've not broke anything)

Since I'm not as familiar with the SDB as I am the 650, I could not comment and I'm glad you got the answer you needed. On mine, the primer mechanism seems to collect a lot of trash. As soon as I detect any hangup, I pull it apart and clean it out. Seems to always work. Also, if you threw any powder loads into brass without primers, there is a good chance that you now have a powder and grease peanut butter under the shell holder. You can get a lot down there before it starts dragging, but I'd pull the shell holder and check it out since this is new to you too. Again, perhaps this only happens to me on my 650, but I'd bet not.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Jlh820, the primer magazine can be loose as you found or too tight which prevents the primer from easily dropping.

As Stargeezer points out the parts kit is a great investment. I mentioned the little bearing and spring that indexes the shell plate...late on evening about 10:30, I decided to clean the SD and load a couple hundred rounds. The tiny steel ball disappeared somewhere on my bench. Everybody closed, right? Remembered I had the Dillon Spare Parts kit, but does it have the bearing. Yep. Load my rounds and went to bed with loaded ammo in my range bag and a small grin.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stargeezer, rockdoctor, thanks for the tips. I'll pick up one of those spare parts kits. BTW - I had the primer not dropping problem first. I think the primer issue is solved for now. Regarding spilled powder, I keep a can of compressed air but it and spray it off whenever I see powder where it's not supposed to be.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Check for proper seating of the primer tube.
That was the problem which I solved yesterday. But I hope this helps others. I did find one stray primer afterwards but it could've been from before.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts