Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a New Vaquero 45 Colt. Someone gave me a box of 250 grain JHP loads using 6.6 grains of titegroup. I know this is a little hotter than the data I have seen and want to know if this is a safe round to shoot in my pistol. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
701 Posts
These are just barely over standard pressure 45 colt loads, so should be safe in your new vaquero. The bigger question is, do you trust your friend enough to shoot his handloads. Small differences can make major differences when it comes to handloading.

I personally will not shoot anyone’s handloads but my own. It is not good practice to shoot others loads. They may not be disciplined enough to get everything just right.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These are just barely over standard pressure 45 colt loads, so should be safe in your new vaquero. The bigger question is, do you trust your friend enough to shoot his handloads. Small differences can make major differences when it comes to handloading.

I personally will not shoot anyone’s handloads but my own. It is not good practice to shoot others loads. They may not be disciplined enough to get everything just right.
Ty for the quick answer. He is a pretty meticulous person and I trust him when he tells me that he trickles every charge. He is OCD anul about everything he does. Lol

·
Registered
854 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^
I Strongly Agree with Wheelguns .
Remember It's Your Safety and Your Gun that You Worked Hard For

·
Premium Member
14,826 Posts
I don't shoot anyone else's reloads in my twin Vaqueros. Too much of a risk and would rather explain why that have a pistol blow up in my hand or something go wrong while shooting someone's reloads. How would you feel if there is a squib or hangfire? How would your buddy feel if his reload had a double charge dropped in it? I have reload parties with my brother in law and friend and may shoot that but nothing do alone. Just my 2c is all.

·
Registered
7,420 Posts
The New Vaquero is rated for 14,000 psi due to its frame and thinner cylinder walls......in other words treat like Colt, not like a Vaquero. I’m not going to go down the “I don’t shoot other people’s reload”, I do, but I know and trust where they’re coming from. That’s an individual choice. The 6.3 grains of Titegroup is only 3 clicks over one max load and 3 clicks under another max load I’ve seen. Will your NV take it? Probably, but I don’t see the point in running any load in any firearm at or near a max charge. JMO

·
Registered
206 Posts
I never shoot other people's reloads. Despite meticulous care I have made a few mistakes of my own over the years and know it happens to others too.

·
Registered
701 Posts
The New Vaquero is rated for 14,000 psi due to its frame and thinner cylinder walls......in other words treat like Colt, not like a Vaquero. I’m not going to go down the “I don’t shoot other people’s reload”, I do, but I know and trust where they’re coming from. That’s an individual choice. The 6.3 grains of Titegroup is only 3 clicks over one max load and 3 clicks under another max load I’ve seen. Will your NV take it? Probably, but I don’t see the point in running any load in any firearm at or near a max charge. JMO
several new vaqueros are made to shoot 45acp which I believe has a sammi pressure of 21,000 psi, if you take into account +P ammo, that bumps up the pressure to 23,000 psi. These are considered tier 2 loads. It is safe to shoot these tier 2 loads in the new vaquero and the new model flat tops.

·
Registered
7,420 Posts
several new vaqueros are made to shoot 45acp which I believe has a sammi pressure of 21,000 psi, if you take into account +P ammo, that bumps up the pressure to 23,000 psi. These are considered tier 2 loads. It is safe to shoot these tier 2 loads in the new vaquero and the new model flat tops.
I’ve heard/read the same thing, I error on the side of caution.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts