Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I broke down a Ruger Mark 3 22/45. I got it stripped and cleaned just fine but upon reassembly I hit a snag that I can't seem to fully understand. When I did a function check the bolt hold open worked but seemed gummed up that I fixed. When I went to check the safety my issue arose. When I place the safety on the safe function the trigger was still able to be pulled. Obviously this is a major issue. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Country

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Sounds like you may have to break it down again and check the sear position, sear spring position and make sure that the detent notch in the safety lever is engaging. You can test this by pushing forward on the hammer while pulling the trigger - both with the safety on and off - you should see the difference.
There are some good instructional videos by Bullseye and others showing the correct parts installation and relationship with one another.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the suggestions guys I'm looking forward to seeing if I can get this gun working again. Just a quick thought. Is it possible that the safety issue I am encountering be caused by the fact that I believe that upon reassembly I failed to place the hammer in the upright fired position and that the hammer strut was not in the mainspring housing cup? This only makes sense to me because of the fact that the hammer did not cock or fall when the trigger was pulled meaning that there was no pressure on the strut to make the hammer fall and if there was no pressure on the hammer could that effect the safety? Just a thought I do not normally deal in Ruger pistols.

Thanks again guys
Country

·
Registered
947 Posts
Perhaps that could happen. Are you able to field strip the pistol in its present condition and look inside of the frame? Maybe you did overlook something, and taking a second look will reveal the answer. One of the safety checks is to set the thumb safety and pull the trigger, if the hammer drops that is an immediate "unsafe to operate" rejection. This is a good catch on your part. Now is a good time to retrace your steps and see if something's out of place.

R,
Bullseye

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After I did a function check and saw that the safety did not work I field stripped the pistol again and could not figure out why until I started thinking about how the gun operated to see what I may have missed the pistol is still stripped.

Country

·
Registered
947 Posts
If you are able to post pictures of the inside of your frame I can take a look if you like. One with the hammer cocked an the sear engaged to safe would be particularly helpful, especially if the shot is angled from the right so I can see the safety hook and sear engagement.

If you do not see anything out of place, then it is time to carefully reassemble, taking special care to ensure that the strut stays on the mainspring cap as you close the housing latch in the frame. Keep the pistol flipped upside down and slightly tilted rearward until the MS housing is fully closed. Like this-

R,
Bullseye

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys... especially Bullseye! I found the problem a few days ago and the pistol is now working great and smooth again. Learned a lot and hope to learn more. Current project is a Marlin Model 60.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts