Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
finder of holes
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way to the gun range today I noticed my area Sears was closing its doors and having a huge sale to get rid of everything. Anyone know anything about this or notice theirs closing?

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
damn! i hope not. i don't shop there much anymore but that's an iconic store.

·
finder of holes
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
damn! i hope not. i don't shop there much anymore but that's an iconic store.
Yeah it has me concerned. I know they've taken a huge hit since Lowes and Home Depot opened up but man I hope they don't go under.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
We recently needed to replace our aging refrigerator and stove. The only stores in our area that sell large appliances are Lowe's and Sears. Sears was no where competitive with Lowe's in any area. The prices were less at Lowe's. Lowe's had free delivery - Sears did not and their delivery charge was not cheap. Lowe's took away the old units at no additional charge and Sears had a large charge for disposal.

Again, the only choices we have and they are less than 1 mile apart. I even told the salesman that after many years of buying from them, I was unable to anymore. He just smiled as if to say - oh well.

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,784 Posts
I love Sears. I think I single-handedly keep the one near me open. :)

·
Registered
400 Posts
My brother is a regional manger for Sears. I think soon you will see Sears concentrating on what they do best - Tools, lawn and garden, appliances.

Who thinks of Sears and thinks shoes, clothes, eye glasses, etc.?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
We recently needed to replace our aging refrigerator and stove. The only stores in our area that sell large appliances are Lowe's and Sears. Sears was no where competitive with Lowe's in any area. The prices were less at Lowe's. Lowe's had free delivery - Sears did not and their delivery charge was not cheap. Lowe's took away the old units at no additional charge and Sears had a large charge for disposal.

Again, the only choices we have and they are less than 1 mile apart. I even told the salesman that after many years of buying from them, I was unable to anymore. He just smiled as if to say - oh well.
Exactly. They have long since lost their competitive edge, and the results of that are obvious.

When my friend wanted to get siding on his house, Sears didn't even bother to get back to him with a quote. I guess they really didn't need his business after all.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Sears lost it's identity when it stopped carrying house brands.
I can buy Craftsman tools at the local Ace Hardware store.
10-20 years ago they had a great line of Sears label men's work clothes.
I bought all of my work clothes there. Now they have all disappeared.
Same with appliances and other goods. Now they are like any other store
carrying a lot of different brands and none of it high quality.
Sears brands and Craftsman used to be the best. Not so much anymore.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
My brother is a regional manger for Sears. I think soon you will see Sears concentrating on what they do best - Tools, lawn and garden, appliances.

Who thinks of Sears and thinks shoes, clothes, eye glasses, etc.?
Their tools are going downhill fast. Some are made in China. So if tools are what they do best they are in real trouble. By the way I just bought two pair of eye glasses at Sears. I'm happy with the glasses and don't like some of their tools anymore.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Sears = Craftsman tools. That alone is enough reason to shop there. I have Craftsman tools older than my kids.

Not so much with their famous Kemore appliance line which has been made in foreign countries for some time now.

The problem isn't Sears or Walmart. The problem is us. If we want quality American made goods, then we need to stop buying crap from cheap labor third world countries and support American workers in American factories making American goods.

It is one of the reasons I like to buy my guns from Ruger.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Sears = Craftsman tools. That alone is enough reason to shop there. I have Craftsman tools older than my kids.

Not so much with their famous Kemore appliance line which has been made in foreign countries for some time now.

The problem isn't Sears or Walmart. The problem is us. If we want quality American made goods, then we need to stop buying crap from cheap labor third world countries and support American workers in American factories making American goods.

It is one of the reasons I like to buy my guns from Ruger.
Some of the Ruger accessories are made overseas.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Some of the Ruger accessories are made overseas.
Some of their magazines are made in Italy, which is probably better then USA made anyway, if that counts as "overseas".

All in all, Ruger does a better job keeping it in the USA then others do. Even the Allen 10/22 case with the Ruger name embroidered on it I just bought was made in USA. Every gun and accessory I bought so far was made in USA to the best of my knowledge, except the LCP magazine and the scope on my Remington Model 770 Rifle.

I no longer have the LCP, and the scope can be replaced. :D

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Some of their magazines are made in Italy, which is probably better then USA made anyway, if that counts as "overseas".

All in all, Ruger does a better job keeping it in the USA then others do. Even the Allen 10/22 case with the Ruger name embroidered on it I just bought was made in USA. Every gun and accessory I bought so far was made in USA to the best of my knowledge, except the LCP magazine and the scope on my Remington Model 770 Rifle.

I no longer have the LCP, and the scope can be replaced. :D
The case my Charger came in was made in China and I believe the pi-pod was made there also. Unless some American worker is commuting to Italy then its also overseas.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I'm glad they are keeping the store open in my area. That store has been in that location as long as I can remember....I'll bet 40 years.

To put all this in perspective, 34 years ago, I was a college freshman who just began working for Kmart. Kmart put you through an orientation and I remember parts of it vividly........"we are currently the #2 retailer in the US and expect to be #1 in a few years". My how things have changed...

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
If they do, it might make the value of my grandma's old Sears, Roebuck & Co. Ranger 12 ga increase. Not that I'm ever going to sell it, but it going up in value would be cool.

Hate to see them go, though. They're an American institution.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts