Ruger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am refering to hunting rifles. Once you find an accurate load you are happy with [hunting ammo], do you experiment with seating depth to tighten the groups?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I find a bullet/powder combo that groups well, loaded to SAAMI overall length. From there, I head for the lands in .005" increments and look for a sweet spot. Heck, that's the fun of reloading. I know, I know...it's just a hunting rifle, but no such thing as a group too tight.

·
Reloading Addict
10,713 Posts
I find a bullet/powder combo that groups well, loaded to SAAMI overall length. From there, I head for the lands in .005" increments and look for a sweet spot. Heck, that's the fun of reloading. I know, I know...it's just a hunting rifle, but no such thing as a group too tight.
+1, unless your shooting archery equipment with $15.00 arrows!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I am refering to hunting rifles. Once you find an accurate load you are happy with [hunting ammo], do you experiment with seating depth to tighten the groups?
Sometimes +/- ?

Oddly, not all bullets seem critical for seating depth, and not all rifles are critical either.

My Whelen's shoot any bullet that fits in the magazine to sub-MOA for five. Other rifles, not so much forgiveness. One of those "it depends" factors.

I work with the rifle to remove stringing, vertical or horizontal. When the groups are round, but not acceptable for center to center, adjusting charge weight up/down with a couple reasonable powders, I try OAL.

If the barrel won't break in for acceptable accuracy, it goes on the used gun rack at the LGS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts