Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eddie F has requested that we think about adding a Second Ammendment Discussion Forum:

I have a thought, and I might be on my own with this. But sometimes I feel like there could be a forum that's somewhere between the Tavern and the minefield. In particular - and this is an area where a LOT of people here have made thought provoking contributions - it might be nice to have a 2nd Amendment forum.

It's not tavern, because it's gun specific. And it's not minefield, because it's not just political.

But I also think with the hearts and minds present here, discussing the increasingly important topic of 2A, it might be a way to get others to join. Send a link of a provocative discussion here to other like-minded groups and I bet we could get a bunch of people to join just for that forum. Then it's not long before they get to know people, start browsing the gallery, sharing their own collections, etc., and before you know it they're in the family!

Just an idea...

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
If we are free to make the connections between politicians and policies and gun control efforts, and free to talk about the party that presents most gun control without censure and editing, fine...if not, or if it would cause hard feelings, absolutely not...I cannot talk about 2A without talking about politicians and parties...and neither can anyone else, except for a surface treatment...
I'd much rather invite the moderators into the Minefield, but put them on an even level with us...free to speak their mind and opinions, and argue and discuss...just not to moderate....how would that sit with Keith? I'm not out to upset folks, but 2A IS UPSETTING...
It's hard enough to remember to go to the Minefield...I don't really think we need to sift it more...

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Kind of agree with Sheepdog on this. A 2nd Amendment forum is fine and dandy, but it is awful hard to talk about this issue and not talk party politics.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Only if Mods are allowed to participate-it bothers me that, while the Minefield gives us members a venue to share our faith and values and party ideas without censure or editing, as long as we're civilized, I feel that the Mods should have the same right and venue...sooooo

My suggestion is that we ALL be invited to the Minefield, for the subjects that are there, and Keith is to be the only "authority" there...we want/need to hear you guys' hearts and opinions, too...I think we've demonstrated enough maturity here at the RugerForum.Net to be able to respect you guys in the Minefield with your hats off and remember who you are when you step out to the rest of the Forum with your "hat" ON....how about it, Keith...sound feasible to you???

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
How about this, make the 2A forum a "2nd minefield" with similar warnings about contents ----basically anything goes but it has to be about just the 2A....
In other words, split the minefield in two.
The 2A is one of the most heated heart felt subjects that can be placed on a firearm discussion board. Its hard to be civil when talkin UN, democrats, and stupid legislation.

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
We have two issues going on here.

1) Opening a 2A forum. To me, 2A is a political discussion, and that is the purpose of the minefield. I don't want two minefields. I do not like the cross-posting idea if that is what you mean by "How about titling threads 2nd amendment ------- and discussing them in the Minefield?". Posting in the tavern, with a link to the minefield is baiting.

2) Allowing RF.NET staff in the minefield:
I don't think the Hat On/Off works. For example, let's say Officer Barney takes off his badge, goes into a bar and gets in an altercation with Homer. The next day, Officer Barney pulls over a speeder and it's Homer. Do you think Homer is going to get a fair chance to talk the Officer Barney out of the citation?

The Military doesn't allow NCOs to take off their hat and become one with the soldiers and the next day put his hat back on, because it's proven not to work.

Let me think about this, and talk it over with the staff.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quote:Originally posted by Keith Smith

We have two issues going on here.

1) Opening a 2A forum. To me, 2A is a political discussion, and that is the purpose of the minefield. I don't want two minefields. I do not like the cross-posting idea if that is what you mean by "How about titling threads 2nd amendment ------- and discussing them in the Minefield?". Posting in the tavern, with a link to the minefield is baiting.

2) Allowing RF.NET staff in the minefield:
I don't think the Hat On/Off works. For example, let's say Officer Barney takes off his badge, goes into a bar and gets in an altercation with Homer. The next day, Officer Barney pulls over a speeder and it's Homer. Do you think Homer is going to get a fair chance to talk the Officer Barney out of the citation?

The Military doesn't allow NCOs to take off their hat and become one with the soldiers and the next day put his hat back on, because it's proven not to work.

Let me think about this, and talk it over with the staff.
Wasn't what I meant. I meant posting thread titled 2 nd Ammendent -------- in the Minefield, which you can already do. I didn't say anything about posting it anywhere else.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
If they did that, we'd just catch them in the Minefield and beatemup!!! I get your point, though...mine was only a 2nd cuppa idea-shoulda drunk 4...

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
Ok, I think I'll open the minefield to the mods & admins and see how it goes...

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
THANKS, KEITH!!!! Don't want to leave them out on the porch...been there...ain't no fun!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.