Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone help me here? I keep reading that the Security 9 is a "single action" auto. If that's the case, why is the safety on the slide so small? A 1911 is a single action auto but it's external safety is sizable. Do you even need to be concerned with the external safety being set to "ON" before carrying the Security 9? Can it be carried safely with the safety "OFF"?

I noticed my LCP2 does not have an external safety yet it's suppose to be the same single action as the Security 9.

Can you see my confusion here?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Scarletgem, so am I safe in carrying it with that external safety off (as long as I follow the regular rules of safe carry)?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would use safety with loaded chamber.. Apparently trigger bar moves sear so gun will fire and with light trigger pull that would iffy.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,829 Posts
Why the safety is so tiny is anybody’s guess. That’s been a mystery to me since the SR series came out. At least on the Ruger American Pistols if you opt for a safety, it’s got some substance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Why the safety is so tiny is anybody’s guess. That’s been a mystery to me since the SR series came out. At least on the Ruger American Pistols if you opt for a safety, it’s got some substance.

Because it is was a trade off...it was designed to emulate a glock, which has none.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dao or single action debate gets into the weeds, starting with Glock getting their partially (almost fully cocked) striker system defined as dao. I think their arguing point was that where the striker is cocked, there is not enough energy at that point to, if released, to ignite a primer, and that the rest of the trigger travel fully cock's the striker enough to do the deed.

Might be better coming up with other terminology giving a percentage and or description of how "cocky" the particular gun is. Fully uncocked with zero energy, partially cocked, almost fully cocked, fully cocked... True double action (restrike capability, i.e. where the slide does not have to cycle to reset the trigger) etc.

The lcp2 and security 9 has a very similar internal hammer system that the slide partially cock's hammer for a shorter lighter trigger pull than a " more true" double action only system that would have a longer trigger pull. Slide has to cycle to reset trigger and partially cock hammer.

The older lcp, lc9 and lc380 is an internal hammer system following many of the design cues of the kel-tec p-3at and pf9. Longer trigger pull, slide still has to reset the trigger (and no short stroking) and partially cock's hammer, but not nearly as much as the lcp2 and security 9.

Lc9s (s as in striker) is almost fully cocked except for semantics and micrometer measurements of just enough sear movement to push striker foot out of the way as it angles down and let's striker go home to the primer. Slide still needs to cycle to reset the trigger. All these pistols are probably called double action only even if some act more like a single action Pistol.

I could be wrong in thinking here, or my memory of these weapons and their systems and history. It's late, and I'm tired. Someone will come along soon and correct the error of my ways. 🙂

1 - 11 of 11 Posts