Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. New-to-pistol shooter here. I snagged a Security-9 a few weeks ago along with a M&P Shield 9. Both were on sale and the gun shop folks spoke highly of them for the price.
I’m having nothing but issues with the Security-9, though. From the second shooting session onwards (now up to 10), it will fail to eject about every fourth casing from the chamber and try to chamber another round. It’ll jam the slide partially back and the only way to clear it is to lock the side back and drop the magazine. I break it down and clean it every time I shoot it meticulously per the manual (with additional steps from some YouTube videos), so I tend not to think it’s just dirty. The first 100 rounds or so are fine, then it starts jamming. I don’t think it’s technique, either - my buddy is a lifelong shooter and it jams just as frequently for him. I even had him take it home to clean it - nothing.
This happens with virtually everything, from low-grade Remington target rounds to the Hornady Critical HPs I grabbed. I’ve never shot steel case, only brass. I’ve asked various well-versed folks and I’ve heard everything from “should’ve bought another brand” to bad slide springs to bad magazine springs. I have a hard time believing the springs could already be worn since the gun is only a month old.
Anyone see this before or have any ideas what could be the cause?

·
Registered
13 Posts
When I first picked up my 9c I had a similar issue. The slide would hang up for various reasons. It turned out to be the slide "tab" for holding the slide open had two burrs on it fouling up the action. Carefully file it down, little by little, and lube. Mike

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
None of the springs should be worn out. You may have a bad magazine, or something could be out of spec. If you are new to pistols, do not try to fix this yourself. Start with this, if you have more than one magazine, see if it happens with every mag; probably rules out a bad mag. Other than that, call Ruger, send it in and let them fix it. Their customer service is the best and you will likely have a fully functioning gun in about a week from starting the process, maybe 2 since the holidays are in. You should not be having this much trouble.

The puzzling thing is that 100 rounds are fine and you start having problems after that.

·
Exchequer
4,484 Posts
Agree. Let Ruger take care of it.

At least you have the Shield to shoot while Ruger CS figures out what's going on with the Security 9.

Good luck ....and please let us know what it turns out to be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, a little update. First, I called Ruger and they happily set me up with a prepaid mail label, so after the holidays I will be returning it to them for repairs.

After doing a little bit of research, it seems that the most likely culprit is a bad extractor. Various older posts to this forum show similar issues with other Ruger products and most of them have ended up being the extractor. A few actually mentioned the problem not manifesting until 100rds or so, which seems to confirm my theory. I don't know a ton about firearms, but knowing what it does, a bad extractor does make logical sense. The issue is that spent casings will stay in the chamber.

I suppose this is something I could fix, but at my level of knowledge, I'm deferring to the folks at Ruger Prescott.

Fingers crossed...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Interesting that you didn't have a problem till after 100 rounds. I found Federal 9 mm brass cased on sale at Dunham's, $40 for 250 rounds. I'd always shot Blazer Brass in my 9's before so I wasn't sure how the Federal would work, so I only bought one box.

I took my new Security to the range yesterday and ran 60 rounds with no problem so today I bought 2 more boxes of that ammo. I hope I don't run into problems like you did after more rounds fired.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had the same issue. Had Ruger send me two new springs and new extractor and pin. I checked the frame for burrs smooth that out replaced springs and extractor. Polished chamber and feed ramp. Problem is gone! Analyzing this seems to be spring not heavy enough and setting under the extractor and possibly a tight chamber. The old extractor didn’t seem to be any different than new one and they micro the same. My guess is spring set and tight chambers. If it starts again i will file the old extractor a bit so it seats a bit deeper.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Remington 115 fmj ammo seem to have a smaller rim diameter than even their jhp 115’s . Aquila 115 fmj worked much better. The security 9 guns don't work well with hard primer either. I shot some Yavex 9 115 and had numerous failures to fire.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Ruger must love paying to and from shipping charges. They "must" be in need of good inspectors, can't they check for burrs and imperfections before putting guns together ? My2¢

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bumping this (sorry if bumps aren’t allowed here), but here’s an update. Sent to Ruger Prescott once already. It was returned as “could not replicate, cleaned”. Took it to the range last night and wow, am I disappointed. Not only was it failing to eject, it seems to have developed a tendency to stovepipe and light-strike. I didn’t have to get anywhere near 100 rounds this time, on magazine 3-4 it started happening.
I initially wondered if I was just getting squibs, so for my own sanity, I filled a mag of the light-stuck cartridges in my Shield after letting them sit for 10min or so. The Shield fired every one of them.
Dropped it back off with FedEx this evening for another trip to Prescott. If it doesn’t come back shooting right, I’m probably just going to count my losses and buy something that’s more reliable (Glock, looking at you...). This thing has been nothing but a pain in the butt so far.

·
Registered
64 Posts
FlyKC, have you looked at my thread about light strike issues in this forum? It may be helpful to you. I know the frustration you are dealing with as some of my issues were very similar, right down to taking cartridges that were light strikes in my Security 9 and having every one of them fire in my Shield.

By the way, if you like your Shield but want more mag capacity you should check out an M&P Compact 9 which is about the same size as a Ruger Security 9 although a bit heavier. Same 15+1 capacity and runs like a dream. After all, one can never have too many guns.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had issues I initially with my Security 9 stovepiping. I cleaned it, lubed it up with Militec-1 (following their instructions of several lube/heat/wipedown/repeat cycles). Then I started using 124gr cartridges. No problems. Ran it on 124 gr for maybe 200 rounds. Then found myself with only 115gr at the range and tried them. No problems.

Then, as an alleged upgrade, I put in a Galloway 17# stainless recoil spring/rod. The notion is that they are a little heavier in the very tip of the gun and that may help with recoil. The target below is 5 yards and the shots are somewhat timed (still learning the timing app)....point being that I was pushing for time on those shots. On that style target, I do groups for center mass, head, right and left circle targets, the right and left shoulders. Not bad for early timed 5 x 5 style shots. My conclusion: effective cheap upgrade.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had issues I initially with my Security 9 stovepiping.

Then, as an alleged upgrade, I put in a Galloway 17# stainless recoil spring/rod. The notion is that they are a little heavier in the very tip of the gun and that may help with recoil.
I had some stovepipe issues when my Security 9 was new as well. I think a lot of that was just needing breakin as it now has 500+ rounds through and no stovepipes.

I also installed that same recoil rod and do think it helped with muzzle flip.

We were at the range yesterday and ran multiple mags of both 115 and 124 FMJ's with zero problems.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Ruger has a new policy, throw the parts together and ship it. Customers will perform the quality check on their product. AND------IT AIN'T ONLY RUGER DOING IT. We have better machines, better materials, better engineering and quality just gets worse..................

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ruger has a new policy, throw the parts together and ship it. Customers will perform the quality check on their product. AND------IT AIN'T ONLY RUGER DOING IT. We have better machines, better materials, better engineering and quality just gets worse..................
It does kinda seem that way.....reminds of the General Motors approach to car reliability. Complete customer time waster, even if they fix under warranty.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello All ,my Ruger 9 security did the same changed out the stock guide spring from 17 to 20 has not jammed anymore.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello everyone, new Security 9 owner here. Since there are a few Sec-9 owners here, can anyone confirm if the ejector is supposed to look like this? It’s bent to the left on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hello everyone, new Security 9 owner here. Since there are a few Sec-9 owners here, can anyone confirm if the ejector is supposed to look like this? It’s bent to the left on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine is straight

1 - 20 of 42 Posts