Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine is straight

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

i have a sec9, and after over 1000 rounds shot thru it, mine is straight.

Weird, I emailed Ruger about my bent ejector and this is what they replied. So far my gun has been jamming 2-3 times per mag (75 rounds so far). I just cleaned and lubricated it for the first time last night and plan to go to the range this weekend. If it is still jamming, I’ll give them a call rather than another email.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
@ChicoBass

. . . so i guess i should send my pistol back to Ruger for repair because my ejector at some point got bent straight?

that was a joke. i can tell you out of the box it was straight, and to this day it is still straight.

·
Registered
37 Posts
@ChicoBass

. . . so i guess i should send my pistol back to Ruger for repair because my ejector at some point got bent straight?

that was a joke. i can tell you out of the box it was straight, and to this day it is still straight.

Haha right?! I have a feeling that Ruger is trying to filter out issues that need immediate attention and which do not due to COVID 19 and their low staff.

Went shooting this past weekend and shot about 185 rounds. Had 4-5 malfunctions where the slide locked with rounds still in the mag. These were quick fixes all I had to do was rack the slide. Only had 1 instance where I had a failure to feed (picture below). Definitely an improvement over last time where I had a jam every 5 rounds.

·
Registered
33 Posts
https://ibb.co/L6qwS9D

can't seem to be able to attach an image, but the link will take you to a photo of mine. it's straight. i don't mean to beat this dead horse, but maybe you can email this to ruger, and a link to this thread and ask WTF.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just a followup. I just bought my security 9 on 4/2/2000 and the ejector is bent EXACTLY the same way and looks like angle to yours. So I would say it is supposed to be that way. Those of you that have straight ejectors do you have the compact version and how long have you owned the weapon? For some reason I cannot add picture of mine, but is definitely is BENT and was bent from the factory. Just went back to where I purchased the weapon and the display model is also bent the same way.

Can anyone clear this up for sure? I need to know if I have to send this back to ruger or not.

Thanks for all of your help everyone.

·
Registered
33 Posts
@Dapapa - i bought mine spring last year at academy. mine is not the compact version. it's the 4-inch barrel version. the sku on the box is 3810, if that helps. i think that's the model #.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had a boatload of FTF's with my Security 9 when new. I cleaned it with solvent, applied militec-1 per instructions that involve heating, started using 124gr ammo. No problems going forward. After about 150 rounds, I can now use 115gr ammo with no problems. I put in a Galloway stainless steel recoil spring and rod. Smooth as silk.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Newbie question

Many people said that they replaced the recoil spring and rod. Where can I buy one and what am I looking for? And can you explain why I would want a new one and what the new one will do? Just trying to learn.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Got mine at Galloway Precision in NC and selected the 17 lb spring. It is an assembled spring assembly - part number GP-160-17-SS

It works great.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Got mine at Galloway Precision in NC and selected the 17 lb spring. It is an assembled spring assembly - part number GP-160-17-SS

It works great.

Good stuff! What’s the purpose of swapping out the stock recoil spring though if it’s new? Like above, just trying to learn here.

·
Registered
410 Posts
https://ibb.co/L6qwS9D

can't seem to be able to attach an image, but the link will take you to a photo of mine. it's straight. i don't mean to beat this dead horse, but maybe you can email this to ruger, and a link to this thread and ask WTF.
Perhaps it is because the angle is considerably different, but that looks like a different model from the Security 9 that the OP has shown in an earlier post on this thread. One would not expect the ejector on every model of any given manufacturer to be identical.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have my eyes on a full size Security 9. Seems like a lot of issues. I rented one at the range and loved it. Shot well. Feels so good. Had zero issues. I guess some have issues, some may not. Would love this pistol, but .........

·
Registered
33 Posts
. . . Would love this pistol, but .........
just my opinion here - i have no idea how many of these pistols have been sold internationally, but say maybe for every 5 or 10 thousand sold (this is just an example), there's one that is having issues. and the owner has no idea if it's the pistol, the ammo, or himself. but people come to a forum and post about their issues. and you read about it. but what about, say, the other 5 or 10 thousand people who don't post about how happy they are with it? you yourself said you rented one and you loved it, and it shot well. i can tell you i own one and i love it, and it shoots well. and i bought it for $279 at academy when it was on sale. what a friggen steal!

i went to the range w/ it 6 months ago with a buddy of mine who brought his walther p22, glock 19, some giant 45 from hk, and a blue competition gun. i put 200 rounds thru mine w/ no issues, and my buddie (who is a gun enthusiast and i am not) was surprised at my tight groupings. yet his walther was having hangups, and his glock had a few hangups. not mine though. but who knows? maybe he hasn't cleaned his pistols in 2 years.

i had one issue with my security 9. i think after 600 rounds it was having frequent failures to extract, sometimes 2 rounds per magazine. i first swore after the 500 round mark it was finally the pistol wearing down. then i swore it was the $7.99 per box Federal Champion brass ball ammo i bought. but after continuing to read more and investigate, i learned that although i had cleaned my pistol a few times up to that point, i had never cleaned the extractor. i mean, there's really no good way. i had always figured just taking a tooth brush to it would be fine. well this time i went in there with some solvent (holding the slide front-down), and set in some solvent, gave it time to work in, ran some floss and really got the grime out (black gunk was really in there), brushed it cleaned, and my issues went away. . . . . . and here i was first blaming the pistol, then blaming the ammo! but the gunk was keeping the extractor from grabbing the rim of the casing.

i'm not implying the majority of people posting issues with their pistols aren't doing enough homework. all i'm saying is . . . who knows?

what i don't like reading on these forums is how people say "i love mine, there's something wrong with yours. i now have 200 rounds of hornady thru mine and it works like a champ". . . . well let's wait until you have 1000 rounds thru it and see how it's really holding up, and using different ammo. that's what i would really like to know. your 200 rounds don't say squat. i now have easily over 1000 rounds thru mine (probably over 1500), and my only issues were that extractor and that i wasn't cleaning it.

the short of this is basically it's a good pistol. every single review i've read and watched about it from professionals have said it's a good pistol, and it comes with a damn good sticker price. and evidently Ruger has unmatched customer service. but . . . . people are going to have issues with everything and post about it.

as for the bent versus straight ejector, i 100% agree with ShooterGranny in the previous posts. i can see Ruger modifying pieces or accessories as newer generations of the security 9 (or any pistol) coming out b/c things get newer and more improved. it's the responsible thing for Ruger to do. does it mean that a bent ejector is better than a straight ejector? maybe. . . but maybe it has to do with your version of security 9. maybe not. . . . who knows? but if my pistol started having issues and i could not prove it was ammo or shooter related and Ruger took it and sent it back and they swapped out my straight ejector with a bent one, i would not complain one bit about it. i'm going to trust they know what they're doing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Appreciate your response. I guess I shouldn't 'jump the gun' on things. I do love everything about this gun. No sales around here right now on it. Hopefully I'll see something.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
BTW - standard gun cleaning solvent on a pipe cleaner is great for cleaning under the extractor hook

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
i hadn't thought about that. thank you, i'll give it a go.
After the end gets dirty, I use a pair of diagonal cutters to clip off the last ~3/8" and keep re-using the pipe cleaner.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hello everyone, new Security 9 owner here. Since there are a few Sec-9 owners here, can anyone confirm if the ejector is supposed to look like this? It’s bent to the left on mine.

Mine is straight. Does not look like yours.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Haha right?! I have a feeling that Ruger is trying to filter out issues that need immediate attention and which do not due to COVID 19 and their low staff.

Went shooting this past weekend and shot about 185 rounds. Had 4-5 malfunctions where the slide locked with rounds still in the mag. These were quick fixes all I had to do was rack the slide. Only had 1 instance where I had a failure to feed (picture below). Definitely an improvement over last time where I had a jam every 5 rounds.

Galloway precision has a few aftermarket parts for your Pistol. As far as the issue of it jamming that definitely sounds like a individual problem and hopefully you can get it taken care of.. Good luck

21 - 40 of 42 Posts