Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Banned
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ended up getting a Ruger Security-9 to go with my PC Carbine. Took it out yesterday and after 2 mags I starting having problems!

1. Last round hold back would not work on 1 of the mags, not that big of a deal.

2. When slide is locked to the back and I insert a full mag the slide lock will not disengage when pulling back on slide and releasing. You have to depress the slide release and pull back on the slide to get it to release. SLINGSHOT method does not work anymore!The first 2 mags I shot, just pulling back on the slide worked.

3. Sometimes trying to manually depress the slide release it is almost impossible to get it to release. Almost feels like something is in the way not allowing it to be depress.

4. After the slide release started acting up and you had to manually depress the slide release, the round would not fully seat into the chamber. You had to actually push the slide forward to get the round to fully chamber.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Send it back to Ruger they will make it right. The two that Hickok45 had worked flawlessly. Yours should too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Sounds like your slide release is sticking for some reason. Easily fixed reasons are lubricant/preservative or some other debris fouling its movement. Other possibilities are a poorly fitted slide release that is binding or a broken or weak spring.

I’m sure other people will have other good suggestions.

Jim

·
Banned
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will let everyone know what happens tomorrow night. I assume they will want me to send it in.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Try doing a good cleaning and a blow out with compressed air. There may be some chips and such from the manufacturing process that have jammed the slide release. If that doesn't work then give Ruger a call. This may save you a return to Ruger.

·
Registered
118 Posts
To echo what others have said, it indeed sounds like a slide lock issue. Whether debris related or out of spec. I put 150 flawless rounds though mine after picking it up Saturday.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

·
Banned
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ruger had me send it out yesterday morning. I will let everyone know what the outcome is as soon as I find out.

·
Banned
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So...Ruger has had my pistol since the 22nd and it will be back in my possession tomorrow according to FedEx. Quick turn around, I just have no idea what was repaired! No one emailed or called me with updates or what they found wrong?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Waiting for update tomorrow or day after. Phenomenal turnaround time regardless of what they fixed. :)

They don't call ya. You'll get a little piece of paper in the box with your gun, with your cleaning cloth stating what they did and how many test rounds of what type they fired through it. Maybe a letter saying they did nothing LOL I doubt it.

·
Banned
4,210 Posts
Since I am thinking about a security 9 purchase, I am very curious as to what they say they did to fix your problem.

·
Banned
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will let everyone know what they fixed as soon as I get it. I plan to go out target shooting tomorrow afternoon, hopefully I get it before I leave that way I can test fire it and see if the problems were fixed!

·
Registered
151 Posts
The slide stop was not really designed as a slide release. Regardless, it sounds like there are some stacking issues with the arm of the slide stop and the loaded magazine.

Let us know what Ruger did.

·
Banned
4,210 Posts
It's been 12 days since he sent it in. Would Ruger CS have it back by now or at least call him to say what is going on? To me, that would be a very impressive turnaround time. I haven't had to use Ruger CS yet so I have no experience with them. I am very interested though because I was thinking about a Security 9 and wanted this outcome for my decision.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It would be great if there was an update on this issue. I too have been experiencing the premature slide lock open with on round left in the magazine. I was using Freedom Munitions ammo. I did try using Remington ammo yesterday and that worked flawlessly. This weekend I have some Federal and Winchester to try.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've also have been having problems. I have 550 rounds through mine,problems with stove piping, slide not locked back on empty mag. I contacted ruger and they are sending me 2 new mags. They told me to try the new mags when I receive them and if I am still having problems to then send the gun back. I'm thinking they are having a problem with some of the mags.I should receive them next week. I will update after I go to the range. Fyi My problem started with the first mag. I shot. (40-50) stove pipes in 550 rounds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Receive my 2 new mags . Shot 250 rounds ,150 Remington fmj,and 100 winchester fmj with the new mags. The new mags fixed my slide not locking back on a empty mag. Problem. Still had 8 stovepipes in 250 rounds. So now I'm sending it in to Ruger. I will update when I get any new info.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts