Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The snow is mostly melted, I got to the range today with my new Security 9. I had a variety of ammo, all brass and FMJ, some 115gr, some 124. The little pistol went through all without a single hiccup. It has comfortable recoil, feels good in my hands, good sights, good trigger. I was shooting steel and hit them almost everytime. I may have missed some in the back. After about 150rds, I shot some Win Nato 124gr, which I think is +P. It ate them as well as everything else. I was also shooting a CZ clone, SAR pistol. I felt more recoil with the Nato ammo in it then I did with the Ruger.
The only issue was the slide release button. It was so stiff I couldn't use it one handed, only sometimes with two hands. I hope it loosens up a little with use.
It's a great little pistol. Well worth having for range time, self defense, or any other reason. Good job Ruger.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Sounds like you enjoyed your new pistol. Congratulations. I am a lefty and have an sr9c. I don’t think the security 9 has an ambi safety, does it? That leaves me out. That said, I am very happy with my sr9c, and not in the market for another 9mm pistol.

·
Registered
118 Posts
No ambi safety on the Security 9.

I picked one up today and put a little over 150 round.
WWB 115gr, Rem 115gr and HST 124 gr. Not a single issue and very accurate. No cleaning before hand either. I didn’t even perform a field strip.

The slide release is stiff, but I was able to release it the few times I tried but had to shift my grip. I do the hand over slide almost all the time, but wanted to try it also.

The trigger is better when shooting than dry firing, especially at an elevated pace. I like it very much and was able to perform double and triples very easy.

The slide to frame fit is very good and there is not visible wear on the frame insert rails after he session.

The gun/grip feels very good also. Texture is aggressive enough to be held securely. One of the better textures, very comparable to my XDe.

For a little less than 300 bucks, you really can’t go wrong. This is a nice gun and to me, the best feeling Ruger poly pistol to date.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Just wondering if the manual calls it a slide release or slide stop . My LC9spro was stiff up to about 900 rounds before it could be used as a release . If my memory serves me , the manual didn't advise to use it as a release .

Edit : from the manual
With the magazine removed or a loaded magazine inserted, the slide can be
released by drawing back slightly on the slide. When the slide is released, it will
move forward under pressure from the recoil spring.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
It sounds like you have a keeper potmetal. The slide release/lock wouldn't bother me because I always slingshot semi-autos instead of using the slide lock. I think I know you from another forum. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
The snow is mostly melted, I got to the range today with my new Security 9. I had a variety of ammo, all brass and FMJ, some 115gr, some 124. The little pistol went through all without a single hiccup. It has comfortable recoil, feels good in my hands, good sights, good trigger. I was shooting steel and hit them almost everytime. I may have missed some in the back. After about 150rds, I shot some Win Nato 124gr, which I think is +P. It ate them as well as everything else. I was also shooting a CZ clone, SAR pistol. I felt more recoil with the Nato ammo in it then I did with the Ruger.
The only issue was the slide release button. It was so stiff I couldn't use it one handed, only sometimes with two hands. I hope it loosens up a little with use.
It's a great little pistol. Well worth having for range time, self defense, or any other reason. Good job Ruger.
3 years later - Per the manual: The slide stop allows the slide to be locked to the rear to positively view the cartridge chamber. The hold open is spring loaded downward so it is released by pulling the slide slightly rearward

1 - 6 of 6 Posts