Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. First post for me.

I bought a Security 9 brand new a couple months ago. I have a little over 400 rounds thru it. I noticed all of the serrations (front, back, both sides) have a very slight orange color to them. I can rub a little oil in them and wipe them good, and no orange comes off onto the cleaning patch. Just curious if anybody else knows what this is.

See image. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Just curious what type of solvent and oil are you using to clean your pistol? I'm no expert but any type of orange color on steel would concern me that there may be rust forming. Serrations get all the oils from our hands and depending on how you holster, if the slide is touching skin it can cause rust which is why you need to wipe it down daily if carried daily. Oil won't remove rust but a good solvent like Hoppes #9 will help get rid of it. Could be in the very early stage.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Sounds like corrosion to me. A light coat of a good gun oil should take care of it. If you have a real heartache over it, call Ruger. They should be able to answer your questions.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@rswink: Yes, front, back, both sides.

@Revolverguy: I use Hoppes 9 gun bore cleaner (I've only used it for the barrel so far), and I use Hoppes 9 lubricating gun oil. I haven't tried removing the orange-ish color with the gun bore cleaner or any other kind of solvent yet. What's bizarre is that I don't even use the front serrations, nor do I handle my gun at the front end of the pistol. Those front serrations have very limited contact, if any, yet they're the same amount of orange - and I think a little more - compared to the rear serrations.

I'm a little hesitant to try using solvent on the serrations for now, in fear that it may also remove some of the bluing.

@Reddmaxx: Since I noticed it a month ago, I've been rubbing a light coat of oil over them, really rubbing it down in there, and wiping excess away. For now I'll keep doing that and just see how things progress.

. . . just out of curiosity, these aren't official Ruger forums, are they? Just wondering if they read threads in here. I've noticed when people post youtube videos about some Ruger pistol issues, some of them post in their comments that Ruger watched their video and contacted them to send their pistol in. Just curious.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Revolverguy: . . . I forgot to mention, I don't have a holster yet. I keep it in a small gun carry case during transport and when at home.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Zokfend, I would take the picture you posted here and send it to Ruger customer service. I dont know if and how often Ruger would read posts on this forum, but I have heard that Ruger has excellent customer service once they are made aware of the problem. So, I would contact them directly and see what they have to say about the discoloration. Dont expect them to read this thread and offer something up without you first making the effort to reach out to them.

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
as others have said ... contact Ruger CS ...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update on this:

I called Ruger (Arizona) and explained what was happening. They stayed on the phone while waiting for me to email them an image of the gun. The person then conferred w/ another person, then told me that it looks like mild oxidation (rust). Since I live in Arkansas, we're a little humid here. She told me to replace the foam in my gun case, put silica packets in my gun case and switch them out periodically. She also said to rub oil on the serrations and see how much comes off (which I did, I scrubbed hard, really hard . . . . and most of it came off . . . again, after scrubbing really hard).

She also mailed me an oil rag (whatever that is), and told me to keep it with the gun and give everything a good wipe down before putting the gun back in my case.

She also said my Ruger firearms have a one-time free re-bluing service no charge, if I am interested. The one-time service has no expiration date. I told her I'd save it for later.

She lastly told me about making sure I don't over-oil my pistol when field tripping it. She says that over half of the malfunctioning pistols they receive are as a result of people over-oiling their guns. One drop on each slide rail, rack the slide rail a few times, thin coat on the barrel then wipe off, and I'm good.

Overall I'm very impressed with the amount of time she spent on the phone with me. She even replied to my email with instructions on sending my slide in to get it re-blued when I'm ready to do so, the reminder about the silica packets, etc.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
That is great customer service, Zokfend. Thanks for relaying that.

Maybe I am just lucky, but I have eleven Rugers and have never had to use customer service for anything. Nice to know it is there at that level if I do need it.

·
Major
1,624 Posts
Just my two cents' worth ...

Storing a pistol is a foam lined case is a bad idea. The foam attracts moisture and promotes just what you are dealing with. Same with fuzzy linings.

·
Registered
114 Posts
A nice gun safe in an air conditioned space with a dehumidifier is what I use.

Oh, and a light coat of oil

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts