Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posting this mostly for people deciding on a pistol. I know I appreciated every review I read before I went with my Security 9.
I got mine in January 2021 on sale at RKGuns for $299. I had narrowed my choices down to it and the Springfield XD series. Fired some rentals at the indoor range and liked them both. But I admit that sale price made me pull the trigger.
I've run about 800 rounds through it now. I don't shoot steel but for brass, it feeds and shoots every brand and type flawlessly. Winchester fmj, Blazer Brass, Maxtech, some foreign bulk ammo I got from 2A Warehouse and a few others. I also took advice I read and ran a mag of each type of defense ammo I have to assure it will perform when needed. Hornady Critical Defense 115g, Winchester Silver tip Hollow and Federal Premium Law Enforcement 124gr HST. Again, all ran flawlessly.
As I've trained and practiced I hit very tight accurate groups with the Security 9. It fits my hand perfectly, operates smoothly. I cannot believe it was only $299. I could have bought 2 vs. getting a Glock! Now I have a red dot sight and suppressor height front site on it and still haven't hit the Glock price point.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I love mine. I didn't get it for as good price, but I had been looking for a while and was surprised to find it. I put a Hogue grip sleeve on it. It was quite accurate the first time I shot it and suspect that will improve with practice.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I actually took my Hogue Off my Security 9. My hand fit better without it.

Great value in this LCPII Big Brother.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Excellent price. I bought Compact in February. Cost me $340. I was in Gunbroker the other day ans looked synth the pricing for but-in-now. They are going for MSRP and higher. I do not know how the unctions are ending up. Ii love the gun. It is a perfect companion to my LCP II. I sold my LC9s last Friday. The compact model is just as concealable as the LC9s and I get more capacity. I am a happy camper.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I own two so you know I like the gun, lol. I'm always surprised to see them for sale right now with so many other guns in short supply. I guess people just assume because of the price that it's a "cheap" gun. They are making a big mistake.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I found one in FDE at Academy last week for $350. They are great guns. I like this enough that I don't feel the need for any of the other mini carry guns out there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hate to change the subject slightly I love my Ruger but would like a threaded barrel.
The glock 19 is relatvely the sme WILL THE BARRELS INTERCHANGE ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a new concealed carry permit holder out of the state of Indiana. I saw that rural King had the Ruger Security nine for sale for $299 so I put it on layaway. By reading the reviews that you guys have been writing, I am now excited to have picked the ruger security 9, and hopefully it will last me for a long time. Being that this is going to be my first hand gun, would anybody have any feedback for a first time gun owner? Thanks in advance, also you guys sound awesome!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
707 Posts
JD, I don't know what relatively the same means to you and I don't have a Security 9 or a Glock 19 but please forget about any unnatural acts involving the barrels of these two unsame guns.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am a new concealed carry permit holder out of the state of Indiana. I saw that rural King had the Ruger Security nine for sale for $299 so I put it on layaway. By reading the reviews that you guys have been writing, I am now excited to have picked the ruger security 9, and hopefully it will last me for a long time. Being that this is going to be my first hand gun, would anybody have any feedback for a first time gun owner? Thanks in advance, also you guys sound awesome!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I own both the full size and compact Sec 9. First advice I would give you is before you shoot, clean it and lightly, properly lube it. So many people take a new pistol out to shoot and have not cleaned them. Then when they have feed problems they are disappointed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I found one in FDE at Academy last week for $350. They are great guns. I like this enough that I don't feel the need for any of the other mini carry guns out there.
That's a good price...there's only two Academy's within a 2 hour drive of me with the FDE model in stock, and they're showing $369. I bought 2 black S9's at Academy back in November for $329 each, and another in January for $349.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I own both the full size and compact Sec 9. First advice I would give you is before you shoot, clean it and lightly, properly lube it. So many people take a new pistol out to shoot and have not cleaned them. Then when they have feed problems they are disappointed.
I'd add to this by suggesting you run a couple boxes of 124gr ammo.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a full size Security 9 back in January. Haven't purchased a new gun in decades. It was a good use of my 2nd of the 3 stimulus checks. I find it fulfilling that the gov. is buying me firearms.
I added a AR556 with my last stimulus check. Lol
Oh, and hello from Dallas with my first forum post.:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pamster: Funny thing is, I did the same. Bought the Security 9 and accessories/ammo with the 2nd round check and the AR15, accessories and ammo with the 3rd stimulus check!
I still feel a little guilty using my great-grandkid's tax money but maybe my daughter will pass the guns down long after I'm dead.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts