Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Was Curious If Anyone Knew The Approximate Amount Of Ga84h.i Am Not A Collector So I Do Not Know A Whole Lot About This Gun I Lucked Up And Found A 4"stainless .38 Spl Security Six It Does Not Have The C.h.p Marking On The Barrell.ruger Could Not Tell Me How Many Were Made Since It Was Not Released To The Public It Has A 161-xxxxxser.number Any Help Would Be Appreciated.thanks Troy

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,480 Posts
Ruger did some dumb things back when the Security-Sixes were being made. They lumped all the serial numbers together for Speed-Sixes, Service-Sixes, Police Service-Sixes, and Security-Sixes, thus making it hard to nail down specific data. The GA-84H was a standard catalog item so that usually means there were quite a few produced. The CHP model was a GA-86T and was made both with and without the CHP roll mark.(H=heavy barrel, T=target grips). The 161 prefix was used from mid '85 to early '87.

The Security-Six family are fine revolvers but there isn't much serious collector interest in them. Even in the scarce models, a $25 premium would be tops. There were about 1.2 million made in 78 different cataloged models.

·
Super Moderator
21,486 Posts
Take it out and put it though it's paces. It's a fine revolver.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
It a great shooting revolver and one of the best ever made. I got three of them and I enjoy shooting them all. Clean and oil them and they will last a couple of life times.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts