Ruger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Security Six, GP100
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My understanding is that the Ruger Security Six was made to be more robust than a S&W K frame. Is it capable of shooting a steady diet of full magnum loads. I have mine loaded right now with Corbon .38 +P+ rounds. Not that I don’t believe it can’t handle .357 rounds it‘s just that’s all I could find when I first got the gun. I now have some 158 JHP .357 that I’m gonna load it with. One of the reasons I bought the GP100 is it was designed to handle a steady diet of .357 but is the Security Six up to it?

·
Corps Commander NGV
7,873 Posts
Yes, the Security Six was designed for a steady diet of magnum rounds. They are tough revolvers. The only caveat is that they are long out of production and Ruger does not service them any longer. If you do break a part, you will have to find a replacement on the open market. As long as you don't plan to use it as a competition revolver shooting thousands of rounds a year you should be fine shooting magnums in your gun.

·
Registered
Security Six, GP100
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the Security Six was designed for a steady diet of magnum rounds. They are tough revolvers. The only caveat is that they are long out of production and Ruger does not service them any longer. If you do break a part, you will have to find a replacement on the open market. As long as you don't plan to use it as a competition revolver shooting thousands of rounds a year you should be fine shooting magnums in your gun.
No competition just a carry gun and range toy. I really love this revolver and knowing it’s out of production and no longer serviced is what worries me. I would hate to break it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
You could do what Hickok45 does...
Buy another similar one, preferably a somewhat less expensive one that may not be cosmetically pretty, but could be used for “parts”............just on the odd chance you do in fact break something.

Most likely, nothing will ever break, but you’ll have a working, perfect back up gun for your truck, a fishing gun, house gun, or whatever.

·
Registered
Security Six, GP100
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You could do what Hickok45 does...
Buy another similar one, preferably a somewhat less expensive one that may not be cosmetically pretty, but could be used for “parts”............just on the odd chance you do in fact break something.

Most likely, nothing will ever break, but you’ll have a working, perfect back up gun for your truck, a fishing gun, house gun, or whatever.
That‘s not a bad idea. The only problem is they seem to be rather rare around here. My new one’s the only one of two I‘ve seen in a long time. I bought the other one too but sold it like a dummy. That’s why when I found this one I couldn’t pass it up. But I will be on the lookout for others. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes.

For some odd reason people have become confused about how the L frame Smith and the GP100 came about. The L frame was introduced in 1980 (and it was long overdue at that time) because the S&W K frame Magnum could not handle a steady diet of .357 Magnum ammunition. The GP100 was introduced in 1986 because Bill Ruger wanted a revolver that was cheaper to produce.

·
Registered
276 Posts
My understanding is that the Ruger Security Six was made to be more robust than a S&W K frame. Is it capable of shooting a steady diet of full magnum loads. I have mine loaded right now with Corbon .38 +P+ rounds. Not that I don’t believe it can’t handle .357 rounds it‘s just that’s all I could find when I first got the gun. I now have some 158 JHP .357 that I’m gonna load it with. One of the reasons I bought the GP100 is it was designed to handle a steady diet of .357 but is the Security Six up to it?
I know my .357 Mag Vaquero handles full Magnum loads just fine but I enjoy shooting 38 spl +P out of that heavy gun. :cool:

·
Registered
463 Posts
No competition just a carry gun and range toy. I really love this revolver and knowing it’s out of production and no longer serviced is what worries me. I would hate to break it.
So I guess the $64,000 question is "How important is it to you to shoot full boat Mags out of it regularly?". Is it worth teh risk of breaking something? Personally, I wouldn't chance turning it into broken safe queen just to bump up the power. If I wanted to pound away with heavy 357's , I'd buy a newer GP100 that likely has updated metallurgy and an active lifetime warranty. Then again, I'm just fine shooting 38/38 +P level ammo in all my 357's anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts